The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Is it Khan?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 AM
Commander

Trailers are fair game, and a necessary part of building the anticipation factor. Anyway what's the worst they could do, say "join us for this, the last mission of the Enterprise" and show the ship blowing up, mothahumpas? Abrams has more Rumor Control over the machine than that.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Fleet Admiral

There are unconfirmed reports now that the trailer will not answer who the villain is - and that the Enterprise will dive into and rise out of water...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 12-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Commander

Probably the first nine minutes of the movie in IMAX wouldn't reveal who it is either.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Federation Councillor

I did wonder to myself if the prologue would be the depiction of what exactly it is that happens to the fleet since that event per the synopsis is what kicks off the plot. But even if it was, and even if Cumberbatch is in that sequence his name doesn't have to be revealed at that stage.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Commander

I'm curious about the fleet myself. Usually things this big happen on TV (and often backstage at that) rather than in the movies. When the fleet was lost in 'The Best of Both Worlds part 2' it was a really big deal. STVI: The Undiscovered Country is probably still the most 'epic' ST movie in terms of 'narrative' scope, and even it pales in comparison.

One of the more valid criticisms of JJ's last movie is that, for all its 'visual' scope, it appears to take place in a shrunken universe that is happily uninformed regarding speeds and distances. Would blowing up most of a starfleet counter this perception or reinforce it? Haw big a canvas would the director work with in doing something like this?

Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Federation Councillor

It would certainly take the trope of Enterprise being the only ship able to respond to a new level.

The one thing I can't quite get a grip on their choice of words in the synopsis is 'detonates the fleet'. Are we talking literally every ship? How would that even seem something that could be sold as probable even in the nature of Star Trek events? I find it an odd way to phrase what it seems they are implying.

Or is it just a part of the fleet but without seeming to leave the Enterprise as the only ship Starfleet has? I confess, the scale of what they mean is unclear to me. Bearing in mind that even in TNG, losing 39 ships was nothing that couldn't be fixed in 'less than a year'

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Commander

39 ships... why did I think it was more? I've never even known how big the fleet is. 60 ships? 200? Did the fleet expand between Kirk's and Picard's time? There were 12 Constitution class ships during Kirk's five-year mission, that's all I know. What else was there?

How many ships did Starfleet lose at Vulcan, did they say?

Old 12-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Federation Councillor

I think 7 ships were lost at Vulcan.

In TOS the size of the fleet was never covered apart from the existence of the 12 Connie's.

The fleet in TNG was substantial though, numbering likely hundreds and probably over a thousand starships (based mostly on the material from DS9). If you felt bold enough there's a long buried thread where Saquist and I debated (sometimes with others) and then argued over how big the fleet was during the time of the Dominion War. I have absolutely no idea where it is though. Probably way back in the DS9 subsection.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Commander

So in other words the writers themselves likely didn't know.

I can picture it growing substantially on DS9, just because of the "more is more" approach to their latter Dominion War seasons. Sounds like digging through threads wouldn't be worth it...

Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Federation Councillor

Oh, there was pages............I mean pages and pages...........of it. And looooooooong posts at that.

I think my belief was the fleet was somewhere in the vicinity of (I think this was my uppermost limit) around 6,000 ships (before the start of the War I think, much reduced by the War) all things considered. Using dialogue in DS9 and extrapolating it out. But Saq was of the opinion it was even higher than that.

But yeah, the size of the fleet has never ever been explicitly addressed.

courtesy of Saquist