The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Information and Thoughts about Robert April
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Fleet Admiral

Before Star Trek.com's staff was fired, they had added all kinds of info from TAS to the library section. That pretty well canonizes it for me.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Before Star Trek.com's staff was fired, they had added all kinds of info from TAS to the library section. That pretty well canonizes it for me.
That might have had a connection to coinciding with the DVD release of TAS.
It would be unwise to promote a franchise DVD release and list no information about the series at the same time.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
I don't think April will actually appear in the movie either, but he might be mentioned briefly in passing. Orci is a self-confessed Trekkie geek, so you never know...
That maybe true however the movie is only so long, likely under two hours. We've had several threads of speuclation of what's going to be mention or appear in the movie and the likely hood is low that any of them will actually fit in the script or the visual. There is simply too much to accomodate with the actual story line. Some directors have been known to do so but they are far and few between. Honestly I'm not counting on any of it to make appearence or mention.

Part of my attempt to keep expectations "Nemesis" low....

Old 03-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'm not counting on any mention of April at all honestly. Isn't the movie supposed to take place well after his tenure as captain? We may get a brief mention, if we're lucky.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Federation Councillor

Agreed.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I'm not counting on any mention of April at all honestly. Isn't the movie supposed to take place well after his tenure as captain? We may get a brief mention, if we're lucky.
This is my thinking as well. If the situation is urgent I doubt any mention will be invovled unless we arrive at the point of handing over command or within a brief amount of time of command transfer.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Lieutenant

April wasn't mentioned at all in Mirror, Mirror when Kirk asked for the command readout of that universe's Enterprise.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

REALLY....
That's intresting...he may indeed not be apart of canon...
but we know Star Trek's issue with continiuty...it's not like they haven't busted through barriers like that. I just assume leave April out of the franchise.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
April wasn't mentioned at all in Mirror, Mirror when Kirk asked for the command readout of that universe's Enterprise.
That makes sense in a way since April was somewhat back-written into TREK canon by TAS. Before that, he was simply an early draft name of the Enterprise Captain but never appeared off-the-page as a character.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
That maybe true however the movie is only so long, likely under two hours.
That's plenty of time. We know Pike is in the movie, so a casual line mentioning April will take, what, 4 or 5 seconds at the most?

The whole issue with April was that the character was made canon as the Enterprise's first captain by Roddenberry sometime after TOS, because it was the character he used when he wrote the first draft. Orci knows about the character, so it's not unreasonable that he might give April a little shout-out in passing dialogue.

I'm not saying that April has to be mentioned in the new film, just that it would be nice to have a mention given he's been a part of Trek fandom for the past 30 years or so...

And as far as to no mention of April in Mirror, Mirror, the facts mentioned were only pertaining to the service record of that universe's Kirk. If Kirk took command of the ship from Pike, why would there be a mention of Pike's predecessor anyway? It would be irrelevant even if there were many captains before Pike...