The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Information and Thoughts about Robert April
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Ensign

Default Information and Thoughts about Robert April

I've been doing some digging on Captain Robert April. CBS, the original producing company of Star Trek, and Gene Roddenberry, Star Trek's Creator, both aknowledge Robert April as the first captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 from the day of launch..

I think Star Trek XI should remain canon on this topic. Robert April as Captain, Christopher Pike as First Officer.

Here is my reference material :

PERSONNEL: Robert April
Captain, starship commander, U.S.S. Enterprise
The first captain of the original starship Enterprise. April assumed command when the ship was launched in 2245 and helmed the Enterprise's first five-year mission of deep space exploration. During that time he made first contact with the Lysian Monarchy and the Satarran Rebellion. He was succeeded by his first officer, Christopher Pike, then by James Kirk. April returned to the starship years later to be transported to a planet when the Enterprise was taken through a dimensional rift into a place where time moves backwards, and people get younger as time goes by. When Kirk and his crew were no longer able to maintain the functions of the starship, April assumed command of the starship and returned everyone to normal time.
Reference: The Counter-Clock Incident, Q Neighbor
Voiced by James Doohan whom also portrayed Scotty. Captain April was the original captain in Gene Roddenberry's first proposal for Star Trek to the network written in 1964. The character was used in the animated series and has been mentioned in many behind-the-scenes discussions of Star Trek over the years.
Information provided by:
The Continuum, www.startrek.com, @2006 CBS Studios
The Encyclopedia, www.simonsays.com/st, @1997 Pocket Books, Michael & Denise Okuda, Debbie Mirek
Starfleet Academy, www.geocities.com/starfleet_academy_2373, @2000 Kenn Ferguson

Image of Captain Robert April :

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index...id=14935;image

Last edited by Pestalence_XC : 03-25-2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: corrected image url
Old 03-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Hmmm...

So TAS is now canon via CBS's interpetaion?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Ensign

No.. TAS is canon via Gene Roddenberry stating "Anything shown on TV about Star Trek is Canon, Books and Magazine articles are non Canon." As such, TAS was aired on TV, thus making it CANON per Gene's statement.

Also, seeing as how "The Cage", Pike was pretty young to begin with.. maybe 37 or 38.. Subtract at least 15 to 19 years off that to get his age when the ship first launches... How could he be old enough to be "Captain" when it is established Canon that Kirk was the youngest "Captain" that Starfleet ever had at the time he took command?

There is no possible way Pike could have had the rank of "Captian" when the Enterprise was first built.

Last edited by Pestalence_XC : 03-25-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestalence_XC View Post
No.. TAS is canon via Gene Roddenberry stating "Anything shown on TV about Star Trek is Canon, Books and Magazine articles are non Canon." As such, TAS was aired on TV, thus making it CANON per Gene's statement.
Can you link to a source for that statement by GR? In a different topic, I just linked to two sources which state GR emphatically 'decanonized' TAS, so I'm puzzled by the apparent contradiction of his comments. Thanks.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Federation Councillor

P-

But GR hinself decanonized TAS in the 80's with the exception of one episode that had background on Spock...the name elsudes me now...

I agree with what your saying, but was just curious how canon could cover it.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Rear Admiral

Roddenberry did decanonize TAS, but the concept of Robert April actually predates TAS. It was one of the original names that Roddenberry came up with when he wrote the first draft of Star Trek.

He falls into the grey area of canon. Many longtime fans kinda accepted the idea of April as the Enterprise's first captain and he's been included as such in several books and comics over the decades. I'm sure Robert Orci is aware of April as he cited being a fan of one of the books he appeared in, but whether or not he'll appear in the movie is anyone's guess...
Old 03-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

It's doubtful that the movie will feel obliged to add April to canon.
I've released the expectation.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Fleet Admiral

In a way, given the age of the Young Kirk they cast, I can actually see some brief inclusion of April in the film IF the launch/origin story of the 1701 is told. Not a prominent character at all, but since this is a "beginnings story", I can see Abrams/Orci/Kurtzman actually 'resolving' this canon debate by including April once and for all. Think about it: someone has to be the first captain of the Enterprise... why invent someone totally new? A quick "moments in Enterprise history" appearance... maybe as Young Kirk watches the launch... and that's it. Story jumps ahead.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
It's doubtful that the movie will feel obliged to add April to canon.
I've released the expectation.
I don't think April will actually appear in the movie either, but he might be mentioned briefly in passing. Orci is a self-confessed Trekkie geek, so you never know...
Old 03-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Federation Councillor

Hmm some good points here from all of you...but I think Commodre has this one summed up.