The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > STID: Time to stir the pot.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestartrekker View Post
I don't know aobut old and washed up. Could say the same for Nimoy, though he undoubtedly has more Trek recognisiblity. Compare ,say,their activity from 2000 onwards
Nimoy
Weller

Anyhow, amid all the speculation and confidentiality clauses, ducking and diving questions and being coy with the media, maybe Weller is thinking, and chuckling to himself, have these guys (trekkies) forgotten me already?
Don't underestimate Weller. He'll deliver the goods for the twenty minutes or so that he's in the film, then its over to Cumberbatch to maintain the momentum.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Just remember JJ's all smoke and mirrors when it comes to secrecy about his movies.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Don't underestimate Weller. He'll deliver the goods for the twenty minutes or so that he's in the film, then its over to Cumberbatch to maintain the momentum.
I'd be inclined to agree with you.
Quote:
No time travel at all. Simply a transporter mishap with red matter accidentally thrown in! Instant youth!
Ah, a la Thomas Riker. I'm wanting to give it the thumbs up but mmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnhhhhhhhhhh.............

Lets just hope its not an anachronistic holodeck malfunction

Edit: Just remembered the lil' "Rascals" episode. LOL. Good episode though, but, I don't think it would work on big screen. Your right about smoke and mirrors, even a trailer could be deliberately misleading and send us all on a merry wild goose chase, but at least it would be something to go on.

Last edited by thestartrekker : 10-25-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:08 AM
Commander

Some interesting ideas, can't say I think anyone has hit the mark though, here's obviously what's really going to happen:

Cumberbatch is Gary Mitchel, Weller will be an officer around him and be a sidekick or right hand man sort of character. The story will revolve around Mitchell going a bit crazy and doing something which makes Starfleet send Kirk after him, being a close friend and all. This will give Kirk some good character interaction with Mitchell and for this time Spock will be the logical one reining Kirk in rather than the emotional Vulcan he was in the last film. Anyone think there's any chance any of that is right?

And yeah... no more time travel!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
Some interesting ideas, can't say I think anyone has hit the mark though, here's obviously what's really going to happen:

Cumberbatch is Gary Mitchel, Weller will be an officer around him and be a sidekick or right hand man sort of character. The story will revolve around Mitchell going a bit crazy and doing something which makes Starfleet send Kirk after him, being a close friend and all. This will give Kirk some good character interaction with Mitchell and for this time Spock will be the logical one reining Kirk in rather than the emotional Vulcan he was in the last film. Anyone think there's any chance any of that is right?

Nice ideas. Mitchel has been denied, but that doesn't stop me with my Khan theories, so I think there's a good chance it could be Mitchel too. Especially when you take in the super human strength to fight a Vulcan, and seems to be have a starfleet uniform of some type.
I actually hope your'e right on this score, and that Urban really did slip up, because, deep down I don't really want a Khan reboot, and I don't think other fans do either, but I just khan't shake that feeling......
I think Weller still might have some connection to his Enterprise character, but that's just me..

Old 10-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post

Have to disagree on the following: Spock's emotional side is here to stay. His character works better this way.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Have to disagree on the following: Spock's emotional side is here to stay. His character works better this way.
Not so sure. Yeah, the rift with his father, his Human/Vulcan sides in constant tension, the veiled humour, love/hate relationship with Mc Coy, (now that needs to start to come through) they all need to be there. A bland emotionless Spock would never have worked.
I really disliked the Uhura thing though, a moment of weakness after the destruction of Vulcan I'd let slide, but not an all out relationship.
(Professor Spock, and one of your students too, isn't that frowned upon.LOL)

Old 10-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Not so sure. Yeah, the rift with his father, his Human/Vulcan sides in constant tension, the veiled humour, love/hate relationship with Mc Coy, (now that needs to start to come through) they all need to be there. A bland emotionless Spock would never have worked.
I really disliked the Uhura thing though, a moment of weakness after the destruction of Vulcan I'd let slide, but not an all out relationship.
(Professor Spock, and one of your students too, isn't that frowned upon.LOL)
Love the relationship between Uhura and Spock. There's lots to explore with this relationship and no doubt we'll see a progression in the next movie.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Love the relationship between Uhura and Spock. There's lots to explore with this relationship and no doubt we'll see a progression in the next movie.
Don't know, horses for courses I suppose. I actually thought of all the things with ST, that was the worst part of the film, and something the writers got wrong. Any romantic interest should have been for Kirk, and I'm not advocating Kirk/Uhura either, we don't need a TNG Riker/Troi thing going on.

Last edited by thestartrekker : 10-26-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Don't know, horses for courses I suppose. I actually thought of all the things with ST, that was the worst part of the film, and something the writers got wrong. Any romantic interest should have been for Kirk, and I'm not advocating Kirk/Uhura either, we don't need a TNG Riker/Troi thing going on.
The writers are simply challenging our preconceptions of TOS. Nothing new in that. And certainly when its rebooted in the future the writers will attempt to do exactly that. Gone are the days of simple, basic characters. It worked very well with the rebooted Battlestar Galactica.

Last edited by omegaman : 10-26-2012 at 08:30 PM.