The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > 'Star Wars' versus 'Star Trek' technology: Let's settle this
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Default 'Star Wars' versus 'Star Trek' technology: Let's settle this

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...s-settle-this/

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

I already know who wins the tech matchup....It's....

Drum Roll

Old 09-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

The thing to remember about Star Wars is that it plays fast and loose with the term "light speed". Light speed is more a generic term for ships that are capable of FTL travel. There are different hyperdrive multipliers and such for the Star Wars ships... such as the Falcon being able to make .5 past light speed. If we take that literally, it means (to me) that the Falcon can do FTL half again faster than most ships in the Star Wars universe.

But, in The Empire Strikes Back, we get a different sense of the capabilities of the Falcon, as voiced by Admiral Piett. "If the Millennium Falcon went into light speed, she'd be on the other side of the galaxy by now." (And it wasn't too long before the Falcon disappeared off the ISD's scopes....she didn't go into light speed because of her mechanical problems....but the Imperials assumed that she could have at that point in time, shortly before Captain Needa's unfortunate demise.) I don't think Piett was making hyperbole about the Falcon's speed capabilities. I think he was stating fact. So, in some sense, there's a possibility that the ships in Star Wars are indeed faster than those in Star Trek or StarGate. But, it's speculation. It's what I'd go with, but, that's just one side of the view in terms of fandom. Star Wars, being space-fantasy, can pretty much play fast and loose with real-world physics in order to effectively tell its story, unlike hard science fiction, or even plausible science fiction. Your actual light-yearage may vary.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
The thing to remember about Star Wars is that it plays fast and loose with the term "light speed". Light speed is more a generic term for ships that are capable of FTL travel. There are different hyperdrive multipliers and such for the Star Wars ships... such as the Falcon being able to make .5 past light speed. If we take that literally, it means (to me) that the Falcon can do FTL half again faster than most ships in the Star Wars universe.

But, in The Empire Strikes Back, we get a different sense of the capabilities of the Falcon, as voiced by Admiral Piett. "If the Millennium Falcon went into light speed, she'd be on the other side of the galaxy by now." (And it wasn't too long before the Falcon disappeared off the ISD's scopes....she didn't go into light speed because of her mechanical problems....but the Imperials assumed that she could have at that point in time, shortly before Captain Needa's unfortunate demise.) I don't think Piett was making hyperbole about the Falcon's speed capabilities. I think he was stating fact. So, in some sense, there's a possibility that the ships in Star Wars are indeed faster than those in Star Trek or StarGate. But, it's speculation. It's what I'd go with, but, that's just one side of the view in terms of fandom. Star Wars, being space-fantasy, can pretty much play fast and loose with real-world physics in order to effectively tell its story, unlike hard science fiction, or even plausible science fiction. Your actual light-yearage may vary.
They seem to travel fast enough to get anywhere in their galaxy in short amounts of time. Like in a few days tops. I'd say that not only are they faster than in Star Trek, it's by an incredibly large margin. At least, when compared to the TNG era and beyond.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

OMG, that video was hilarious!

At first I thought it was going to be some Star Trek fanboy's biased movie, but they balanced it out with The Force....so both sides got their licks in. Awesome! Kudos to the person who put that video together!

However, looking at the comments below the video, some fanboys will just never be convinced.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Fleet Admiral

I will say this though: (In lieu of the sex being offered to me by an uber-hot babe right now.....ha ha ha ha ha.)

If the Imperial Star Destroyer were to use ion cannons against the Enterprise, the Big E would not stand a chance. Ion cannons ignore shields, and shut down systems, and thus, after sustaining ion hits, the Big E's shields would be down (as well as propulsion and weapons, and pretty much everything else) for just long enough for the ISD to get several critical turbolaser shots in. (But then, I go by official publications, and not the fanboy law that "if it didn't happen on screen, it didn't happen"....besides, I nevah studied law. )

Also, an ISD's deflector shields are at least planetary base strength. Now, the guy in the video did get it right, by having the Enterprise use torpedoes. If the ISD was using ray-shielding, the Enterprise was right in using missile based weapons.

Data's analysis of the ISD's weapons would've been way off anyways. Again, we're comparing sci-fi to space fantasy. Just as the Star Wars ships are probably faster than Star Trek or StarGate ships (because of how their speed capabilities are described), it's entirely possible that an ISD turbolaser, or at least, a battery of such weaponry (a battery consisting of perhaps 6 double turbolaser cannons) is as powerful as a Type X phaser on a Galaxy class starship. Turbolasers are slow, ponderous, extremely powerful weapons. Continued fire from several batteries of turbolasers (a Star Destroyer carries 64 turbolasers, in addition to ion cannons and concussion missile launchers) could likely have weakened Enterprise's shields considerably, and even brought them down.

Here's the final analysis:

In order for the Enterprise to win, she'd have to strike fast, hard, and most of all, FIRST, showing no mercy, which kinda goes against the StarFleet/Federation grain, but, if they knew what they were really up against, they'd see this action to be nothing short of the wisdom of the gods.

The Star Destroyer is more likely to strike first, as portrayed in the video. And again, honestly, were this my video, (and don't think I'm not tempted to make one. With what I have, I easily could! ) I'd have the ISD open up with her ion cannons first, just to ensure that the Enterprise was no longer a threat, and then pound away at her with turbolasers.

Bottom line:
It's anyone's fight.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

I would like to join the discussion but I only read babe, ion cannon and pound.

I think it would be funny to see how Data and 3PO would interact with each other. After all they are the nicest (an)droid in each respective universe.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I would like to join the discussion but I only read babe, ion cannon and pound.

HA HA HA HA!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio
I think it would be funny to see how Data and 3PO would interact with each other. After all they are the nicest (an)droid in each respective universe.

Interesting.

Data and 3PO would probably enjoy each other's company, for the very reason you stated. Indeed, as long as 3PO had pleasant conversation (he is, after all an etiquette and protocol droid), and Data would certainly provide such, 3PO would not go off on his "more droid than thou" complex.

Data would see Threepio's (ha ha ha, no pun intended) considerable use as the next level of Universal Translator, and Threepio would be fascinated by the vast amount of knowledge that Data has stored on a myriad of subjects.