The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Did Cumberbatch confirm something?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default Did Cumberbatch confirm something?

http://trekweb.com/articles/2012/08/...eed-Khan.shtml

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 08-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Federation Councillor

I really think you can read that both ways. Getting bored of denying it may mean just that. He's bored of being asked and having to repeat ad nauseum.

Or it may mean he's bored because it's true and he wants to scream it out loud and proud!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Khan't stand it any longer. My guess: Teaser trailer by September 30.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 08-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I'm not sure that I read that as confirmation of anything other than him being sick of the question. He did say that the character he is playing is iconic, but that could mean a lot of different things.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Commander

Yeah doesn't really say much of anything that gives us clues, other then he swears a lot!

I'm hoping for a teaser pretty soon too.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Fleet Admiral

There aren't that many iconic TOS characters. I'd bet 10 bars of latinum that it's Khan or Mitchell.
It is clearly not a wise choice to reuse any TOS character expect for one of the three Klingons Ks and of course species, not strictly characters, like the Horta, the Excalbians and so on. ENT showed what kind of stuff from TOS one can reuse, unexplored species.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
Yeah doesn't really say much of anything that gives us clues, other then he swears a lot!

I'm hoping for a teaser pretty soon too.
I don't know if there are plans or not but just thinking to myself, I thought that perhaps in America anyway that putting something out for Thanksgiving weekend would get them a lot of exposure as that's one of the biggest weekends of the box office year.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Commander

There are a couple of reasons I could believe this to be an admission;

first; we know Abrams was attempting to cast Del Toro in the role of Khan, do you actually think they would throw out that script which took them so long to come up with just because they couldn't get Del Toro to play the role?

second: Khan makes a much better villain than Mitchell, or Trelaine, or Harry Mudd.

third: its the second film, so why not do an ode to the second film, in the first run of Star Trek films.

What makes me think he might not be playing Khan is his basic look in the shots that have made it online. He looks nothing like the TV or film version of Khan. He's not bulked up like he should be if he is somekind of superhuman. Of course, since this is a re-imagining of the Star trek universe in a different timeline, why wouldn't he look different? Don't the Klingons and Romulans look very different from their traditional Tv and movie appearances?
Old 09-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Fleet Admiral

Yep, the previous actor for the role, the word iconic, the admittances and lies, it has been perfectly clear since the very beginning that it will be Khan but everybody plays this self-fooling mystery game.
As we have already had two movies about Khan in a row I will definitely pass the third one, no matter how often the PR guys pretend that this is so fresh and daring or whatever. Once Trek stops to be such a coward mass product and actually tells new and above all science fiction stories I will jump back on the train.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Federation Councillor

Except that no-one on the studio side has actually confirmed Khan. Every mention of Khan to date is speculative and rumour based because Paramount/Abrams has never confirmed Khan. Yet.

Del Toro as Khan started because he obviously physically matches the Montalban look and then I think other Latino names were mentioned around the time. Which means it seems extremely likely that Cumberbatch is playing the same character. Even though obviously nowhere near Latino. In theory (only in theory though) if we accept the basis on which they created the alternate then everything up to the Kelvin should be 'the same' therefore Khan should still be visibly Latino. But no strict need to be a stickler that way.

It's not likely to be that much longer before official confirmation either way comes through. He's definitely prominent on the list of likely's however. But you know, looking at it the other way, the general obsession with Khan by fans as well would provide fantastic opportunity to exploit that constant noise as the cover for using another character instead. Deliberately keep everybody looking in Khan's direction for four years and then pull someone else out of the hat.

Of course, probably won't work out that way.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 09-01-2012 at 03:12 PM.