The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > The Omega Glory
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2008, 02:20 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default The Omega Glory

Interesting episode. I'm watching it now. I love how the Exitur (sp?) is the model of the Enterprise.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Midshipman

USS Exeter - NCC-1672
Constitution Class

And yes, an interesting episode. Not one of my favorites, but I'll admit I don't dislike the way I used to.
"In this galaxy, there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more, only one of each of us." Dr. McCoy
Old 03-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Rear Admiral

Terrible ep IMHO but at least semi-interesting. Written by Roddenberry I think. The not-so-great-bird in this case.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Admiral

argh....I dislike this episode intensely....I'm not the biggest fan of the "parallel planetary development" stories anyway, but this one is just tooooooooo much! That their "Constitution" would not only have the exact same words as America's, but that it would look exactly the same....blech. Poorly written doesn't even begin to describe it.

By the way, I really like the idea of discussing the individual episodes.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Well I think the Exeter was an AMT Model, just like the Constellation. With the Constellation they rearraged the numbers "1701" to "1017", and they melted the model.

"Tickle us do we not Laugh? Prick us do we not Bleed? Wrong us shall we not Revenge" -General Chang Star Trek VI, quoted from Shakespeare
Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Yeah, I wasn't real far into the episode when I posted this. Definitely not a horrible episode most of the way through. But by the time they got to the Constitution and the American flag it got pretty silly. It was as if they were trying to inject some American patriotism into the series at the time. I'm all for patriotism, but it just didn't fit. At the end when Kirk looked at the flag and looked like his heart was swelling with pride and patriotism it just didn't make sense at all.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Captain

Basicly the episode was not all to stupid, I think. I just never understood why Roddenberry was such a fan of parallel worlds to the extent of a second earth and a world where the american constitution and the banner look exactly the same. The whole planet could just have been a long forgotten colony, founded during the postapocalyptic era, or something.

Then everything would have been okay in the way, that it was a show from the sixties (where some naive "americanism" was half acceptable in the context of "lets never forget what this country should be").

And that message was transported relatively well (when ignoring how the end was a little all to much music and pathos for my taste).

To proclaim that to make peace with the Coms was something very "american" and "patriotic" was an important message in the sixties, where many people where not even willing to accept peacefull coexistance with the USSR, not to even mention real peace and cooperation.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I thought it was a great episode, I thought it was funny how the people pronounced the Pledge of Alligence, also I was surprised that the Constitution and the Declaration didn't disintigrate, right now if you would touch it, it would probably disintigrate...... so how did it survive with the people touching it as a rag.....

"Tickle us do we not Laugh? Prick us do we not Bleed? Wrong us shall we not Revenge" -General Chang Star Trek VI, quoted from Shakespeare
Old 03-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Lieutenant

ive never seen this episode, but does it have anythign to do with the omega molecule?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

"Activate the Omega 13!!!"

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!