The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Prometheus reactions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Lieutenant

Default Prometheus reactions

Without getting all spoilerific,

Who has seen Prometheus, and what is your opinion, because I was really disappointed.
I was so hyped for this movie.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

I only read that Alien fans might not see as much as they thought... can't see it here before AUGUST!! -.- (can a studio be more stupid?)

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Federation Councillor

I wasn't disappointed by it (I've seen it twice now because I wanted to see it again after the initial viewing and realised it was a different thing than I had expected) but I think I had the wrong set of expectations about it before I went in, as I had been trying to avoid a lot of the trailers etc.

I like the first two thirds of the film, but I feel that the final act lets it down because (without giving away spoilers) the whole thing seems predicated on there being more films to continue the story that has been set up in 'Prometheus'.

I found the film stayed in my mind after watching it and that I was interested in thinking about what (if anything) it might mean and I would have to say that it's really a film that wants to be a 1970s 'think piece' of science fiction for the first two thirds and then decides to be a normal contemporary Hollywood action spectacle in the final third and they don't mesh well. And I am left wondering if the ideas themselves are on a road to somewhere or a road to nowhere. Only sequels will tell that, though.

I liked it. I liked it better the second time around without the weight of thinking that it would be like 'Alien' and 'Aliens', which I can safely say it is not (and as I think more general reviews are starting to come out that should be less of a big secret by now). On the plus side, I think it's visually beautiful in all areas as well.

Personal thoughts but sorta spoilerish as well perhaps

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 06-07-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Lieutenant

Can't believe you have to wait till August NCC. Thats pretty p*ss poor.
I think your right Kevin, lots of things just don't seem to gel. I also think your right about the sequels. If this does well, it leaves room to delve into things that it attempted to explore, if it doesn't...meh. Don't want to talk specifics and spoil it for those that seem to have to wait for quite a while to see it..

Old 06-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

There was a picture of a M41A pulse rifle or something very similar on the viral site - do they appear in the film?

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Lieutenant

Weapons do appear in the film, but they're not used very much. I don't want to spoil it any more for you by saying more than that.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Commander

It's starting to sound like maybe this movie shouldn't have been an A L I E N prequel/spin-off/tie-in/whatever at all. As if Scott directing sci-fi again wasn't already enough of a selling point (although on the other hand, maybe it wasn't).

Old 06-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'm getting ready to go see it in a few hours...will post thoughts/impressions afterward.

I'm not expecting ALIEN, the only thing I have my hopes set on is that I will be entertained. That's all I ask of a movie. Entertain me.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

I do have one question, when I go to see it should I go to the 2-D or the 3-D?

I was just going to go to the 2D version as I'm not usually all that big on 3D but early reports are that the 3D is very good in this film so that's given me pause.

Last edited by Captain Tom Coughlin : 06-07-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

I saw it in IMAX 3D, and I do have to say, the 3D is purdy durned good. The floating computer and readout graphics in some scenes reminded me of Avatar.

Well....I saw the movie, and I enjoyed it. Nice pacing, great visuals and sound, good dialogue....in many ways, the way this film ran, it seemed like a loose re-make of ALIEN without being ALIEN....largely in terms of plot points.

I am not saying: "If you've seen ALIEN you've seen this." I'm saying it was a nice way of introducing the ALIEN universe to a new generation, and it offers some insights into a few things in the ALIEN universe.

I'd still have to say ALIEN and ALIENS are the best of the movie series, but this film ranks right up there with the originals.