The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > What is the Best Summer Movie of the Year?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Commander

Default What is the Best Summer Movie of the Year?

My vote goes to Prometheus, it was the most layered and thought provoking film I've seen this year. Dark Knight Rises was a disappointment, as was Spiderman.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

Avengers.

So far the only non disappointment of the year. Epic and very well told it's exactly what the audience wanted and then some with out last 3 hours or contrivances to Deus Ex, clever witty, intense and in-dept and visually stunning.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Commander

Probably The Avengers, just as an all-around solid movie. However I think The Hunger Games could be a runner up.

Prometheus and The Dark Knight Rises I think are flawed films however you slice it, even though they are probably the most 'rewarding' blockbusters this summer. And I think one could start a discussion comparing just these two films in the ways in which they are flawed. To me the most obvious difference is that The Dark Knight Rises can't pretend to not already have all of its cards on the table. Whereas Prometheus can still come back smirking (when's the sequel again?) and try to -retroactively- claim that some of its holes were already covered. Although its most obvious shortcomings such as lack of empathy for many of its characters would still remain.

I can't share people's disappointment with The Amazing Spider-Man because for me it still improved on two of the three prior films in its franchise. But I also don't think it is an Avengers or a Hunger Games. Nor is it as rewarding as Prometheus or The Dark Knight Rises. Even though I'll dare say I think it is a better movie than the latter.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Fleet Admiral

I was so sure it must be Prometheus, but I recently saw it.
That leaves only Iron Sky in my list

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 08-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

I can't share disappointment on Amazing Spiderman either.
It was solid too. Nothing Epic but a real good film .

Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

I haven't seen Spidey or the Hunger Games, so I cannot comment on them. Of the three I have seen, Avengers, Prometheus and Batman, I would say I enjoyed Avengers the most. I liked all three, but Avengers was just too much fun.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Of the two films I've seen this summer (Avengers and Prometheus), as much as I loved Prometheus, I'd have to give my nod to Avengers.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Federation Councillor

I would probably say (out of the ones I've seen anyway)

1 - The Avengers

In terms of being a purely entertaining and fun couple of hours with a witty script, plenty of eye candy action and a focus on the characters first before the action rolls around. It has it's little issues along the way, but since I was dubious about how even Whedon could pull off the film after the five intro films I think that he actually managed to hold it together AT ALL was impressive.

2 - Prometheus

A close second to The Avengers but it lacks the fun factor because it's interested in taking a different tack to it's audience. That said, while I found it quite rewarding to watch and discuss afterwards I'm still on the fence about whether Scott and Lindelof are winging it storywise or whether they actually do have a firmer set of answers to some of the questions posed in the film. Not that I think all of them should be answered, but they've still left things a little vague and I just can't decide to what level of deliberateness that is. Since I tend to make the assumption that Scott at least ALWAYS knows what he's really trying to do, I'm edging toward it being so. Beautiful visuals though and plenty to rewatch..............even if I felt that the final act was too rushed.

3 - The Dark Knight Rises

It's not that I don't like Nolan or his franchise, I just never thought they were quite as awesome as some of his bigger fans thought and I think he really dropped the ball here by littering his film with problems and holes that just stand out too obviously (even though going back there are problems in his previous two films as well) this time around. My opinion is that he didn't truly have his heart in coming back to finish this trilogy off but caved to fan/studio pressure and just took the easy way out in places. I also don't think it actually picks anything to really focus on thematically, instead throwing a whole lot of bits and pieces at you without committing to anything. And I also am not big on the finale either. I think he was capable of better than what he gave here.

4 - Ted

I'm hot and cold on MacFarlane, but I found this hilarious in places. I can't deny that. But it might also be like The Hangover for me...........as in hilarious on first watch but by the time I've seen it eight or nine times it's all worn off.

5 - The Amazing Spider-Man

To be honest, I kind of grudge even putting this in fifth place but I've reached all that I watched and can even rate! I can't say this one did anything but essentially bore me. The first hour is a lazy redo of the set up we all already know and the second half contains bad CGI and silliness. I just didn't like this one at all.

I also saw Snow White and The Hunstman (again, lovely and striking visuals but a rubbish story and Kristen Stewart really can't anchor a film this big) and Battleship (which was the worst film I've seen this year and I like the Transformers franchise so.............I just think if all you want to do is watch **** blow up - which is the only reason I like the aforementioned franchise - and nothing else then may as well get Bay in to do it, because Battleship was just an attempt to copy him which couldn't even get something as simple as blowing **** up right!)

I haven't seen The Hunger Games, but if we're going back to that time of year outside the summer season strictly the much hyped John Carter was also pretty much a dud for me as well.

Despite the middling reviews however, I do intend to catch The Bourne Legacy and also Total Recall (though I don't really expect much anymore from it now).

Not the best summer season in 2012 I thought, it had looked promising last year but in actuality it wasn't as strong as it had looked on paper.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 08-11-2012 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Spring clean.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
My vote goes to Prometheus, it was the most layered and thought provoking film I've seen this year. Dark Knight Rises was a disappointment, as was Spiderman.
It is not a summer movie but Chronicle was a decent sci-fi flick. I am personally not much of a fan of this nine-digit budget blockbuster stuff. Great ideas and script quality are more often than not substituted with glitter.
All the really good sci-fi movies from the last years had either moderate (Duncan's Moon and Source Code, Children Of Men, District 9, Sunshine) or small budgets (The Man From Earth, Primer).
Old 08-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Fleet Admiral

I have to place the Bourne legacy as my second film of the year.

I just saw it. the movie is fantastic and seems well placed in the franchise as occurring along side some of the events of the second and last films. The action scenes are tremendous, Rachel Weiz is gorgeous and beautiful as the D.I.D. I was not convinced that this man which I saw from Avengers was going to able to carry this film but clearly the plot is there and his acting is there.

The only thing that takes away is that this is clearly a film that is seated in or among the others so they don't give enough perspective for this one film to stand on it's own. You need the others to understand what's going on here in more precision. But to enjo this film for the Shocking and Trilling Roller Coaster ride that it iss...well just sit back and enjoy.