The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Stargate Universe
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Default Stargate Universe

My daughter recently purchased the Stargate Universe series on DVD, were both fans of the Stargate Franchise.

I was non-committal about watching Universe since it was canned pretty early, only two seasons made. But, after watching the first few eps I have to say that I really enjoyed the darker more edgy feel to the show. The characters are pretty good and the storylines are excellent. Love the sets as well. A lot of work went into them and the look is perfect.

You can see influences from the most recent Battlestar Galactica mini-series here and there, especially in the spaceship shots and battle sequences. Now and then the music score reflects that feel as well.

On the whole its a damn fine show and I for one am sorry it ended its run so quickly.

Not sure if there are any novels around. if you know of some let me know.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

My roomies have just started watching that show too, and they feel the same way as you do.

I've still kinda avoided it, but am thinking about giving it a looksee.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

I liked it, I never saw the last few episodes but I know the spoilers so I haven't bothered. I just stopped watching after I knew it was getting cancelled. I thought it deserved more time. In a way, that show is what Voyager should have been.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

I didn't like the show. It relied on more plot holes and contrivances as any show I ever seen and it doesn't fit with the "realism" they were trying to set up within the drama.

One of the biggest Plot holes is how they get all the new people on the ship in season two when the Commander decides to axphiates Dr. Rush's body that has the mind of a man who slept with his wife to rid him of the Gould mind control he suspects he's under...BUT when the Lucian Alliance is about to gate to Destiny he doesn't do the same thing by venting the atmosphere. Rather he lets them take over the ship.

There were so many...MANY highly contrived moments like this in the series that made for fake drama. Like Young trying to abandon Rush...then finding Rush on an alien ship attacking Destiny. Disasters that happen and then fix themselves. (Destiny flying into a star, or Trap on a glacier but at the last minute the glacier frees them). Sweeping massive betrayals under the rug. (Like the very premise of the show. Rush is the one that strands them on the Destiny when he could have sent them any where else..Yet he stays in control)

SG-1 and Atlantis had deux ex contrvances like this but never said they were trying to be more gritty and realistic as a premise, the characters weren't difficult to like nor was there a constant state of bickering for bickerying's sake.

I found SGU a trifling masquerade of the Stargate Franchise.
It never had one hope of making it to the 3rd season and shouldn't have gotten a 2nd in my opinion.

Michael Shanks said it best "It seems to contrived"

Last edited by Saquist : 08-04-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Commander

We've been running syndicated repeats of the show on our station.

I followed S1 when I was still working graveyard. However we either skipped an episode of S2 or I missed something... and I haven't closely followed the show since. It's distracting trying to watch TV at work anyway (too high a potential for on-air screw-ups). I still have to manually 'segment' the show on my shift, however I've stopped watching it until such a time as when I decide to Netflix it.

The Stargate franchise is something I keep meaning to get into, but have never followed through the times I've tried. It just seems like this huge overwhelming thing (17 seasons), very fan-oriented, and frankly kinda bland but still with enough interesting nuggets that I just don't feel ready to write it off until I've seen more. Maybe it's like a miniature Star Trek franchise. More hip than the last two ST series, but still...

Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

Even SGU had a couple of interesting episodes like the time travel episode in the really weird way through the gate. I recommend seeing every season...just start from the beginning. More than likely you'll find it's great show to pass the time with and you might even get involved.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think it was an enjoyable show. Certainly not perfect, but good. It set it's atmosphere well, you really got that sense of isolation. This was a stranded group of people. Not like Voyager, which had a similar concept but completely failed to explore the premise to it's fullest.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Commander

VOY mis-advertised itself from the start. It wanted to be TNG minus DS9, or the ST spin-off for fans who didn't like that 'other' ST spin-off. If that was all they were going to do, they should have just gone ahead with ENT while it would have been seven years fresher.

So that's a very good point about SGU being the VOY that VOY was not. Cheapened somewhat by the fact that BSG was already the VOY that ST in general was not...

Old 08-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Commander

I enjoyed it personally. I agree that certain aspects of it were contrived and plot holes and convenient fixes occurred more often then I would have liked but it is darker, the character interactions are a highpoint of the series IMO, it feels like a real group of people. Often there's a sense of urgency and hopelessness that you rarely got in the other series and the tone and general atmosphere are spot on IMO.

As people are pointing out it's not perfect though, some of the episodes seem a bit devoid of a real point and it certainly lacks the fun of the other shows. Another way of putting it would be It isn't your fathers Stargate!

Worth the watch Omega, enjoy!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

Janeway is a captain bound by Starfleet rules and she sometimes even ruthlessly enforced them whereas Adama is one part of an authoritarian duo, additionally cheapened by the lack of guts of the show to even admit this.

People who claim that VOY should have been some kind of BSG-like dark struggle for survival misunderstand the very basics of Trek. Of course these reactionary tendencies have been widespread in popular culture after 9/11 and as they have also influenced the last Trek movie it is in no way guaranteed that future Trek incarnations will have anything in common with the basic parameters of the franchise, set-up by Roddenberry and maintained by Berman. This is no reason to be a sheep and mindlessly follow the herd though but a reason to be even more adamant that Trek maintains its idiosyncrasies.