The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Batman - The Dark Knight Rises *Spoilers in thread*
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

i saw them as acting more like a partnership. She, by virtue of being the daughter probably was the de facto leader, but Bane was like the General. I don't think he was just muscle.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
Except he is a huge physical presence that Batman almost can't take down. It finally takes a street-smart chick with a gun in order to do that. What does that say about Batman? The audiences I've seen it seemed to love it. It's like Harrison Ford in Blade Runner: he can only seem to take out female replicants.

I think it's worth mentioning that hand-to-hand fights are a pretty boring thing, and that we mostly just want them over with so we can get back to the movie.

I don't agree that the hand to hand fights are boring. It was kind of fun to see Bane overpower Batman like that.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Federation Councillor

I think for me the problem is that their endgame and final act was simply to blow up Gotham, except knowing that seems to invalidate all the hustle and blustle Bane goes through.

And I don't even want to pick at Talia's rationale since (if I remember the film right) she's destroying Gotham to avenge her father............a father she doesn't even seem to show much affection for because of what he did in her past. She doesn't even have his belief in burning Gotham to cleanse it and allow a rebuild. She just wants to blow it up.

They seem to have no real plan for afterwards. At least R'as had something in mind.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I think for me the problem is that their endgame and final act was simply to blow up Gotham, except knowing that seems to invalidate all the hustle and blustle Bane goes through.

And I don't even want to pick at Talia's rationale since (if I remember the film right) she's desttoying Gotham to avenge her father............a father she doesn't even seem to show much affection for because of what he did. She doesn't even have his belief in burning Gotham to cleanse it and allow a rebuild. She just wants to blow it up.

They seem to have no real plan for afterwards. At least R'as had something in mind.

I do agree that there doesn't seem much point in their plan. Let Gotham run wild for five months and then blow it up. To what end?

Old 08-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I do agree that there doesn't seem much point in their plan. Let Gotham run wild for five months and then blow it up. To what end?
It seems to be just to wait around for Batman to come back. Because since that was their plan, it really didn't matter what they did.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, it certainly wasn't a perfect movie by any means, but I did enjoy it. I like the way it book ended the series. And I thought Bane and Catwoman were entertaining, and the Alfred character was strong as always.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I was ready for the movie to wrap up by that point.
Kevin's right on thi one the movie was dragging and had expended a great amount of time in thing that didn't matter and Nolan was trying to wrap it up fast. Others have noticed this too. A rushed ending is one of the easiest things to see on a movie and this one wins the crown.

Quote:
I don't agree that the hand to hand fights are boring. It was kind of fun to see Bane overpower Batman like that.
I was absolutely bored during the Bane Batman fighting scenes.
Nothing special happened.
Batman didn't use any cunning to try and stop him.
Batman does not go on a direct attack unless he knows he can win or has no choice., nor does he walk into an obvious trap.
I've seen the cartoon do a HELL of a lot better with less.

Quote:
That i the end.
Me and my cousins have discussed this extensively. Apparently that was the whole idea. Bane or talia depending on who you believe is incontrol wants gotham to descend into Chaos and die with hope of being rescued, that may be nolan point in the boy shelter playing such a large part at the end with the police unwilling to allow them to cross.