The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Batman - The Dark Knight Rises *Spoilers in thread*
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's not obvious that Superman I and Superman II have the same director and thus the carry over? Are you serious are being facetious?

Old 08-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Commander

I was replying in regard to Returns. I'm aware of who directed (most of) the first two movies.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well, I finally saw it. I enjoyed it for the most part. It requires a lot of willful suspension of disbelief, but the last one did too. I enjoyed Bane and Catwoman. I do not agree that the reveal that the woman turns out to be the child that escaped from the pit to be as problematic as some, because I did not get the impression that Bane was merely her muscle.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

There is still a clear transition from Bane to Talia because the plot disposes of Bane mater-of-factly. Also Bane doesn't destroy the city when he easily could have and there is the fact that Talia is the "Ordinary Citizen that has the detonator" which means she was calling the shots. Further it was her brain child because she was head of the board of Wayne Enterprises, If she didn't have Waynes trust nothing Bane did would have been possible.

Perhaps it more like a Emperor and Vader relationship but in the end when the plot simply disposes of the Vader with little preamble it gives an impression to most people that this person ultimately wasn't particularly significant.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

Oh, she was clearly in charge, I don't mean to suggest that she wasn't. I just think Bane was a little more to her than a henchmen. He showed intelligence, and a certain level of autonomy in carrying out their objectives. That's just my take on it.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Federation Councillor

I always thought that the film was supposed to be suggesting that Bane was the main villain until he was exposed as actually just a smoke and mirrors distraction for Talia who was the true mastermind.

As soon as that happened, his previous actions and statements were severely negated in my mind because to me, a henchman was pretty much all he ended up being in the film itself. To Talia I think he was more personally but that's thrown into the film too late to matter for me.

But I also think that the way he was exited from the film is a sign of Nolan's laziness, because all movie long he gets built up as this huge physical presence who can throw down Batman...........then it's just a couple rounds from the bike and a quip from Catwoman and that's him gone!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Commander

Except he is a huge physical presence that Batman almost can't take down. It finally takes a street-smart chick with a gun in order to do that. What does that say about Batman? The audiences I've seen it seemed to love it. It's like Harrison Ford in Blade Runner: he can only seem to take out female replicants.

I think it's worth mentioning that hand-to-hand fights are a pretty boring thing, and that we mostly just want them over with so we can get back to the movie.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Federation Councillor

It says to me Nolan needed him gone as quick as possible to wrap things up.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-11-2012, 04:06 AM
Commander

I was ready for the movie to wrap up by that point.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:03 AM
Federation Councillor

Yeah, I think that's a problem The Dark Knight Rises and Prometheus might share.

Both films reach a point where it's like the film-makers have been going along and then suddenly remember that they only have about a half hour left to wrap themselves up and provide some kind of conclusion.

Because for me, it's the final acts of both films that are the weakest links in them when I look at them as a whole.

courtesy of Saquist