The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Batman - The Dark Knight Rises *Spoilers in thread*
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Federation Councillor

Unoriginal doesn't equal a bad film in and of itself.

To me (while I acknowledge and am entirely aware of Singer's love of the original and would agree that his closeness may have been a hindrance in some respects) I've come to think that the parallels are intentional because thematically in that film he is returning and coming back - so he sort of has to re-enter the world he left but it's all now different. The flight with Lois has a very different emotional moment running through it than when they first did it.

Yes, 'Superman Returns' replays many things from 'Superman', but from almost a reverse angle which makes it interesting to me.

And stuff like opening credits and theme music is just 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' stuff anyway.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 08-05-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Italics! We MUST have italics!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
However it was advertised as a sequel. Most of the mimicries you mention were things also mimicked in Superman II. As for what I was watching, it was the first two movies.

In general I have no great love for Superman because of the whole Red-White-Blue thing. I tend to dismiss him for all the same reasons that I cite Batman as my favorite superhero. I wouldn't call the first two movies more than reasonably good, which is what Superman Returns was to me.

We'll see what Zack Snyder can do with him. Although is there anything of Snyder's so far that we actually like?
Returns was another man's work.
Superman II wasn't about Lex Luther, nor about land nor was there an overuse of the theme and a redux on one liners from the previous film. I understand if you don't care or don't see it but it's sort of well documented criticism of the film from critics and movie goers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post

And stuff like opening credits and theme music is just 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' stuff anyway.

Only if you over use it and I think he did.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Although is there anything of Snyder's so far that we actually like?
I don't know if I'm allowed to say 'Watchmen' but I'm gonna. Everything else........not so much.

Though the first ten minutes of 'Sucker Punch' may be the best Eurythmics video in a while.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 08-05-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Returns was another man's work.
Superman II wasn't about Lex Luther, nor about land nor was there an overuse of the theme and a redux on one liners from the previous film. I understand if you don't care or don't see it but it's sort of well documented criticism of the film from critics and movie goers.
However it did have the opening titles, the John Williams music (recycled just like Returns' was), the bumbling fool Hench lady and some save-the-day montages. And Lex was in the film, even if he looked kinda pathetic groveling before Zod.

I understand the Superman Returns criticisms, I just can't share them. I'm not a big enough fan in the first place to be told to care about it less.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I understand if you don't care or don't see it but it's sort of well documented criticism of the film from critics and movie goers.
What's your point? That that should decide for me or others how we see the film?

I'm quite conscious of many of the complaints and criticism the film got from some people at the time and since. I agree with some of it. But, I also have my own opinion on the film and as such I don't agree with every complaint levelled at the film.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 08-05-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Commander

Quote:
I don't know if I'm allowed to say 'Watchmen' but I'm gonna. Everything else........not so much.

Though the first ten minutes of 'Sucker Punch' may be the best Eurythmics video in a while.
Oh, you're allowed to say it. I liked it as well. However it's usually here that I get told "Meh, you obviously haven't read the graphic novel yet." And I haven't, even though I bought it when the movie came out and is on my to-do list.

I don't remember the Eurythmics in Sucker Punch, just the sequence with the Jefferson Airplane cover. If only I didn't love steampunk and giant robot anime. I dislike the glossy video-game aesthetic and cigar-smoking fetish evident in Zack Snyder's directing. Something about him leaves me pissed off and unfulfilled.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Oh, you're allowed to say it. I liked it as well. However it's usually here that I get told "Meh, you obviously haven't read the graphic novel yet." And I haven't, even though I bought it when the movie came out and is on my to-do list.
I haven't read it either. Depending on which fan of the novel you believe it was either as close as a film adaption could ever get of the source, or not even close.

Go figure!

Quote:
I don't remember the Eurythmics in Sucker Punch, just the sequence with the Jefferson Airplane cover. If only I didn't love steampunk and giant robot anime. I dislike the glossy video-game aesthetic and cigar-smoking fetish evident in Zack Snyder's directing. Something about him leaves me pissed off and unfulfilled.
It was 'Sweet Dreams' that played over the opening, no?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Commander

Quote:
I haven't read it either. Depending on which fan of the novel you believe it was either as close as a film adaption could ever get of the source, or not even close.

Go figure!

It was 'Sweet Dreams' that played over the opening, no?
Probably. You've pulled a distant fragment of a memory out of my head. I only saw it once.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
However it did have the opening titles, the John Williams music (recycled just like Returns' was), the bumbling fool Hench lady and some save-the-day montages. And Lex was in the film, even if he looked kinda pathetic groveling before Zod.

I understand the Superman Returns criticisms, I just can't share them. I'm not a big enough fan in the first place to be told to care about it less.

However it was all his work so the follow through is logical it's not for Returns. I would have thought that was obvious.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Commander

It's not. Bryan Singer made the homage movie that he wanted to make. They hired him; it was his creative license.