The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Amazing Spiderman Reactions-Spoilers ahead
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Commander

Default Amazing Spiderman Reactions-Spoilers ahead

I'm surprised a thread for this doesn't already exist. Did no one go see it? I know more than a few people that went meah at the prospect of paying money to see Spiderman's origin story told again on the big screen. I' ve been a Spidey fan since I was a kid, so I had to go see.

The Good:
  • The chemistry between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone
  • The new Spidey costume: cool new look and web shooters
  • Fight scenes between Spiderman and Lizard
  • Cool new Spidey visuals doing anything really
  • Background on Peter's parents (okay, this is really just creative license with no basis for it in the comics or cartoons)
  • Spiderman has a sense of humor, like in the old cartoons
  • Andrew Garfield plays a hipper, cooler Peter Parker (skateboards, gets in trouble at school, wears stylish clothes) Whereas Tobey Maguire's Parker was a nerdy "nice guy", Garfield's Parker is a semi-cool outcast/loner.
The Bad:
  • We get the same origin story as in the first Spiderman, it just gets tweeked a little
  • Andrew Garfield plays Peter Parker like the character has ADD, or is Garfield just playing himself?
  • The story is just a live-action version of the 90s Spiderman cartoon episode, "Night of the Lizard" + origin story, told slightly different
  • The movie doesn't carry as much of an emotional punch as the original Spiderman (2002) film did.
  • Peter Parker/Spiderman comes off as a dick in parts of the movie, this can be somewhat forgiven in that Parker is growing from an irresponsible kid to a mature superhero/crime fighter.
  • We get Captain Stacy instead of J. Jonah Jameson as the misguided public citizen that is opposed to Spiderman.
  • The Lizard is lacking his Crocodile lizard beak, making his face look too human, though that's what he is, a human lizard thing

Last edited by chator : 07-18-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Federation Councillor

I saw it last weekend but to be truthful I'm not a Spider-Man fan per se. As a casual viewer the film didn't really engage me and I was relatively bored before it ended.

I think it is quite flawed but mostly it just seemed to go over old territory from the last films without feeling fresh or energetic. The whole thing seemed oddly haphazard. But it's been a hit so maybe the sequel would be more solid.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
But it's been a hit so maybe the sequel would be more solid.
Did you see this? http://badassdigest.com/2012/04/26/t...er-man-sequel/

Are these guys the only writers in town, or what? I guess the studio wants to insure that the next Spiderman movie will be a block-buster.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Federation Councillor

Yeah, I had read that a few weeks back pre release. I also read the various comments on the various boards regarding it. But since the screenplay of TASM is no masterpiece................I can't see how things could be made worse by them really. They are a writing duo that are flavour of the month just now. That happens. They'll cool eventually in hiring terms but at the moment they are 'in'. Obviously my opinion of them isn't quite as low as others may be but Spider-Man also isn't close to my heart would be the 'in fairness' caveat there about their hiring.

But even the fact he was rebooted was a complaint (a valid one probably) as well so soon.

Spider-Man is apparently Marvel's most popular character in general so blockbusters are exactly what all the other films have been anyway. This one seems to be doing decent business given it was getting a rough ride before it came out. Guess come 2014 the Spidey fans will find out.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 07-11-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I saw it last weekend but to be truthful I'm not a Spider-Man fan per se. As a casual viewer the film didn't really engage me and I was relatively bored before it ended.

I think it is quite flawed but mostly it just seemed to go over old territory from the last films without feeling fresh or energetic. The whole thing seemed oddly haphazard.
I didn't reaction badly to the film. It had its moments. I even felt it was stronger than the original Spiderman film in parts. To date my least favorite reboots have been, Superman Returns, Star Trek, and X-men: First Class.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I didn't reaction badly to the film. It had its moments. I even felt it was stronger than the original Spiderman film in parts. To date my least favorite reboots have been, Superman Returns, Star Trek, and X-men: First Class.
And I actually like those three! Lol!

Though X-Men: First Class was the weakest of those three I thought. I've seen Raimi's Spidey a couple of times but I think it's OK, the second and third I've only seen once each at the time they were released.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Commander

Spider-Man 2 is one of my favorite superhero movies, the one that belatedly justifies the first film. The first Spider-Man I've always found to be vastly overrated. I would agree that this film is easily an improvement over that one, and I am sort of at a loss to understand why so many people wanted to dismiss it even prior to it coming out. As much as I love SM2, can you really imagine a fourth movie with Tobey McGuire and that mega-dopey smile of his? I sure couldn't.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Fleet Admiral

I thought that the first two McGuire Spidermans were OK, but that third one was awful. I'm probably going to let this movie pass until DVD time. I'm more looking forward to Batman

Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

Meh, I'm waitin' for the blu-ray.

In the meantime, bring on The Dark Knight Rises!

Old 07-12-2012, 05:31 AM
Commander

I saw the first Spiderman Film and bits of the second, I quite enjoyed them but can't say that films of comic books are my favourite and I find them all much of a muchness (though I've been told Watchmen is refreshingly different).

What I don't understand is why 'reboot' a film franchise after so little time? Did it work for the Hulk film? And why recast?