The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Amazing Spiderman Reactions-Spoilers ahead
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Federation Councillor

I've not seen TDKR yet but from reading some reviews and comments it seems Nolan may have fudged the ball on his finale.

It also appears many of the rumours about TDKR's story may be true, plus it wouldn't be the first trilogy to have a third installment that didn't quite get there.

Don't know when I'll get to see it and decide for myself though.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-21-2012, 03:01 AM
Commander

Am seeing it tonight, hopefully not too fudged!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:39 AM
Commander

I wouldn't say it was irreparably fudged. However I think it tries to hard to be whatever it is.

Oh, and having seen it I still don't understand what all that chanting was supposed to be about. (Or perhaps the explanation just didn't warrant sufficient payoff for having heard it in every Dark Knight teaser or trailer)

Old 07-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Federation Councillor

Just to prove the point that one should never speak too soon, I took myself out of the world for a few hours and ended up seeing it.

My initial reaction is that it is the least of the three storywise. Don't wanna say a lot but one review I read the reviewer felt Nolan had given everything to TDK and what was left was all he had left. I am inclined to feel that way just now myself.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Commander

Or maybe it was just his turn for the limits of his directing abilities to be exposed.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Federation Councillor

Perhaps, though there are script issues as well I think.

I mean, it cannot be said he doesn't provide a conclusion to his trilogy. It just seems unfortunate it's so clunkily and at times (for Nolan anyway) badly done. But for once in a Nolan film I actually felt a bit of emotion finally thanks to Caine and some of his moments.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Commander

I loved the ending. And as you said the scenes with Alfred. It just felt like much of the movie was distant and uninvolving.

I actually went to the 'marathon' presentation, so I had just been reminded of how tightly-wound some of the moments in the previous films were (particularly when Batman is smashing Joker's face into the window and Joker just keeps laughing through his bleeding mouth "You have nothing... there is nothing you can do to me"). I missed that intensity this time. I missed not being safe.

To be fair, The Dark Night is clunky in places as well, and I don't buy that it was necessarily a better film than Batman Begins. With such obviously-cued lines as "No More Dead Cops!" and "They're having the same discussion on that boat that we are having!" (You would expect such mob-mentality dialogue to sound, I don't know... more improvised?)

Old 07-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Federation Councillor

Oh, I agree on The Dark Knight being clunky as well, my feeling is that I enjoy Batman Begins more because it's main story feels more coherent. The Dark Knight is very rambling and silly in places in ways that undermine it on repeat viewings.

And to be honest I always found the ferry boat sequence quite simplistic. That just did not at all work out any way that didn't seem obvious from the start.

I have thoughts about the ending but I don't want to ruin anything and I feel some might be tempted to look inside a 'spoiler' alert but I have a couple of major issues with it in as much certain characters seemed to me to get very 'easy' endings, as if Nolan knew he was capable of better but just went easy to get things wrapped up.

Without giving detail I don't know if that would just be me.

I also thought that the script was spectacularly unsubtle and never quite comitted to any of the dozens of themes it tried to squeeze in. It was like, 'Let's throw in a whole bunch of stuff but not really get into any of it'. I mean, on a certain level I enjoyed the film. I just can't say a lot without spoilers being made about where it didn't work for me.

I would currently rate it last out of the three anyway.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Commander

Definitely weaker than the other two. Like I said, I rate the new Spider-Man higher. Then again I really liked the new Spider-Man, better than any Raimi-helmed predecessor save for 2.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Federation Councillor

I don't know if I would go that far personally, I really didn't get a lot out of it I have to say.

I guess I probably would revisit TDKR before Spidey though.

courtesy of Saquist