The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Breaking: Star Trek Phase II Fan Series Recasts Their Kirk!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Default Breaking: Star Trek Phase II Fan Series Recasts Their Kirk!

http://trekmovie.com/2012/06/20/brea...-look-details/

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's a move that is far too late. The quality of the show's writing and special effects have always been 3 TIERS above it's acting. While Cawley isn't bad, it needs much better and he helped me appreciate how difficult acting is.

The surrounding cast is awful except for the new Checkov that CAN actor and looks exactly like a young Walter Koenig. Except for him change everyone, Including that nerdy looking Spock and Bloated McCoy is absolutely imperative.

I would have watched the series more if it weren't pushing the gay agenda so hard. For a long time every episode was a continuous string on this topic. (I tuned out everytime) Star Trek wasn't about Kirk's nephew and should never have dedicated so many precious and EXPENSIVE episodes to him in the first place. That should have been SO background and along those lines the Fan Series Phoenix also went too far with the sex...Every time the bad "gal" was featured it was with a Greezy teeny concubine of some kind and the make-up and actors were so bad it just flings you out of suspended belief.
-----

If only these series could be more objective and use more moderation, more class and a higher standard of acting they themselves could have boosted Trek's profile because many of them have an incredible amount of potential. Their main problem is the ACTING, STATIC CAMERA ANGLES (FEW CLOSE-UPS) and the BABY FACE ACTORS.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

I empathize with ya' on so many points, Saquist...especially the agenda pushing. I stopped watching Cawley's Trek after Blood and Fire...I just couldn't watch. While I can certainly appreciate the likely intent of the content....to continue pushing/edging around things that Trek shoulda had the balls to do in the first place, now they're just grandstanding. It's like with music. Now, the ubiquitous, black and white "PARENTAL ADVISORY: EXPLICIT LYRICS" stamp is a badge of honor for those who like to use vulgarity in their "music", and an attract feature for those gullible enough to think that they're getting a quality product.

But on the points of acting, and effects, and camera angles/movements, etc....well...again, these are "fan films". They do it for the love of the show. Acting and filmmaking classes might be a bit out of their time and budget. One has to remember, these folks are not pros...and likely not inclined to be, but they do the best they can with what they have. All they're really out to do is tell a story with the tools available to them.

It's like when I do my animations. They certainly are far from Pixar, and there are FAR better amateur CG artists out there, with even better tools and training. I just do it for the love of the art. I endeavor to do the best I can with each shot, and if I see a means to improve a shot, I will certainly do it...but, I can only do so much with what I have. The secret (as has been said many times throughout the span of the Trek series since TNG) is to make it look like you have more to work with than you really do.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

The only thing is that your CG's don't come off as amateur, they use good transistions, thought with camera work and good voice overs that aren't monotone or drag on. The writing is competent (at least this far) with a purpose and order. For what it represents nothing betrays it as being half done.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
The only thing is that your CG's don't come off as amateur, they use good transistions, thought with camera work and good voice overs that aren't monotone or drag on. The writing is competent (at least this far) with a purpose and order. For what it represents nothing betrays it as being half done.
Most kind, sir. Thank you.
If anything, I try to think: "What would such and such a director do? Or, how would such and such an actor say this?"

But, sometimes I do run into technical hiccups....like when the program (iClone) starts to bog down (because I start thinking a bit TOO epically...lol...but now I'm finding other workarounds to accommodate my imagination) and I have a rough time getting the timing down for certain shots, and then I end up doing a retake, after thinking the problem through.

I've had some great (although they don't know it) teachers on the technical and writing side. George Lucas (for sheer visual style), Jim Cameron (for visuals AND attention to detail), Nicholas Meyer and Ridley Scott (for pacing), Tom Clancy (writer, for detail and realism).

Old 06-22-2012, 03:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'm sure it wasn't easy, either, but I do have to say, anyone who can step aside from the lead role, and offer it to someone who might be more qualified....major respect points in my book.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

Yikes!
As much as he's spent on this then, and as much as he's "agenda pushing" you'd think the guy would be a latent politician.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

Cawley may have finally let go of his fandom grip on the role and seen not just the need for better acting but better directing and it's difficult to direct from in front of the camera. If he's trying to make his own name in the directors seat...this was the choice he should have made after the first year.