The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Comments & Suggestions > Hi guys...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

I didn't think Janeway's Forum would last long. It was a modest try.
I think this forum has stayed active due to the single handed efforts of Omegaman. I tune in because he'll sometimes find a science story I had not found myself. And I read every thread he starts.

The most active here have always been the same. Kevin, Horatio, Martok.

Akula drops in from long stretches,
LCARS24 still puts his data up on the board from his projects.
As well as the Degee Guy with the amazing shots of the TOS Enterprise.
I'm usually busy but I tune in every day.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:03 AM
Commander

Janeway's forum did really well for quite awhile, was pretty busy for a good 18 months. Things just petered out, like they do, such is life.

This place seems to get a few more visitors who pop in, such as the ones mentioned, yourself, Saquist, then a few more as well.

At this stage I'm starting to get the feeling that no forum at all is going to be set up for the new film and this place will just continue as is.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 AM
Federation Councillor

They'll probably do something somewhere. Depends maybe how Paramount or whomever rated the 'success' of this place.

Janeway's forum was really more of a lifeboat forum for people who wanted to go there because this place was under suspicion of just vanishing. I mean, we tend to take it for granted it's always here when we log on but somebody somewhere could one day just cut the cord. Then people would have lost contact (if they were bothered about such things).

That safety net was the main reason Janeway set hers up, not to directly compete. You never know, one day it may come in useful.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 06-19-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Captain

Cool

My place was started at the beginning of 2006 when things were looking a bit grim at startrek.com, and just kind of puttered along until after CBS started the "new" startrek.com and started shoving people out the door.

In July 2010, STL had only about 10,000 posts in four years, pretty anemic as far as message boards go. But from then on when people started leaving st.com (either willingly or not), STL has been continuously active, and we are at this moment at 228,019 posts.

In the period between June 7th and June 13th alone, STL had a gain of 4,326 posts while st.com had a gain of 836 posts. The recent spam attacks at st.com and the admin team's somewhat clumsy attempts at blocking them have made it difficult for the regulars there to post freely. We've had a few more come over from there in the past few days.

We have forums dedicated to the Conventions, fanfics and fan films (including the big giys like Phase II and Farragut, as well as the upcoming Excalibur and Star Trek Begins)...and we of course try to keep up to date with news about ST2013.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
Yep for all intents and purposes it's dead, just feel a bit sorry for Beetle as he randomly appears from time to time and wonders where everyone has gone...
[sings] "Where have all the flowers gone". :P

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 06-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

I would love to join another forum but I realized that I don't like moderators.

I've found they don't know what to do with me and we usually end up in conflict. The track record isn't good. I've realized I don't like people in power. They make bad decisions as a rule and it's the reason I would never, ever, ever... want to be a boss, moderator or any sort of authoritative official. So far I've chucked a number of forums.

File Front: (officially banned myself)
Sci Forums (officially banned myself)
Trek BBS (officially banned myself)
Gateworld (The most ridiculous to date. I tried to officially ban myself but she was so stubborn I had to harass her just to get my password scrambled due to having a number of my art pieces on the site and to lock-up the "Saquist" name (at least to some degree).
SGU Sucks: Inactive: The site is extremely crass and uncensored (seeking ban)

Sci Fi Mesh Forums
: Active
Bridge Commander Central Forums: Active
Bridge Commander Files: Active
Star Trek Official Movie Forum: Active

Forums are places where people of the same mind get together to talk about their interest. Generally they don't care for nonaligned thinking. I learned in the past 5 years I cause too much irritation. My family says the same thing. Too factual, too arrogant (whether true or not the comment has been common), and too logical. And because I dislike dishonesty and by default politically correctness I can sometimes understand why.

For Contrast my Boss calls me..."Kid-like" and he's one of few that understand my personality So I don't think there is any better place for someone like me than an abandoned Forum with a few easy going individuals on board.

----
So Starbase63 that's the reason I haven't joined your forum.
My prejudice tells me I would have the same problem. I've seen some extremely bad moderators and I realise (even though it may not be true of you.) Moderator = Dictator

Last edited by Saquist : 06-19-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Captain

Cool

I think my members would tell you I'm far from a dictator. In fact, I get to spend far more time being a member of my own boards than I have to being an Admin.

To me that's a good sign...the less I have to do as an admin, to me shows there's a good community at work.

Capt. Tom Coughlin had some difference in philosophy with one of the other admins, but at STL I'm the final word. No one gets banned, suspended, or otherwise disciplined without my approval.

And if my board is still going after 6 years when others have come and gone since STL started, i must be doing something right...
Old 06-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

If your Forum doesn't allow sexually explicit imagery and explict language I will give it some consideration. But see how HARD it's been on at least 3 forums it is to Ban yourself. I'm hesitant. There has to be some self serving reason why Gateworld, Sci Forums and Trek BBS gave me such a hard time with leaving.

I think it has something to do with their Forum numbers and rankings and not wanting to lock out an account to subtract from their standings. It just makes no sense otherwise why I can voluntarily start an account by can't end it without all this drama.... Part of me thinks this is how email information gets passed out.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Commander

Is that email security and not wanting your name to be a part of something you don't agree with the reason you try to "Ban" yourself? As otherwise could you not just stop visiting the forum you don't wish to post on anymore?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Captain

Cool

We try to stay within a PG-13 range for the most part...language is self-moderated, and pretty much everyone uses discretion.

My policy is, you come and go as you please. if you come for a few days and don't come back for a week, a month...that's up to you. If you decide you want to leave, I leave your account open just in case you change your mind. It's happened several times. Unless, like in Coughlin's case, you have some kind of security concern, then I will delete the account at your request. Otherwise, I do periodically cull inactive accounts. I'm not interested in showing a lot of members...I could say I had 472 and never delete the dead wood, but we're currently at 265. I'm more interested in a higher active percentage than quantity of names on the roster.

Post counts are equally of little importance. Members are welcome to import their total from their previous home if they choose.