The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > The lost music of TOS...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2008, 06:29 PM

Default The lost music of TOS...

Remember the "mood" music used during scenes and just before the commercial break to build tension. There was a certain music for action, a certain music for comedy, a certain music for weird, strange situations. I can't put it any better than that, but i'm sure you all know what music i'm talking about. Some of it was the coolest music in Star Trek. I just wonder what happened to all the great "in between" music. None of the other series or films have ever used anything like it.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Well, if you are talking about the incidental music, there are four albums of it out, currently on the Varese Sarabande label. Great music from "The Corbomite Manuver" "Charlie X" "Mudds Women" "The Empath" "Trouble With Tribbles" "Doomsday Machine" "Shore Leave" "Mirror, Mirror" and many others. You can check their site to see if they are still in print, or cruise ebay for copies (which I did when I upgraded from vinyl.)

Still there are tracks from Trek that I would dearly love to have, that haven't been put on any disk yet... specifically, I'd love that dramatic drum beat and brass sting that has been tracked on several episodes. The one that sticks out in my mind is when it was used in the "Assignment Earth" episode. When Gary 7 is standing in the transporter chamber, and the title of the episode comes up. Brilliant music!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
You can . . . cruise ebay for copies (which I did when I upgraded from vinyl.)
They had eBay when you switched from Vinyl? That means you're using audiocassettes or 8-track now? Or are you using reel-to-reel? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Federation Councillor

AJ-

Don't knock 8-Track...lol...still own some and my player thank you very much!! LOL
Old 03-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

It's those Edison bakalite cylinders that are the toughies...

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Lieutenant

the incidental music throughout TOS is absolutely wonderful. i agree with fanwriter. there are several brilliant pieces of music that i love and one of them is the gary seven bit mentioned. theres some lovely stuff through corbomite manuevre. its one of the reasons this series always stayed special to me.

i always thought the music on other star trek shows seemed very flat and .acklustre in comparison. the music is just terrific. some times ill put an epsiode on to humm along to the incidental music.

great post.
starbase Britain
Old 03-24-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Well, if you are talking about the incidental music, there are four albums of it out, currently on the Varese Sarabande label. Great music from "The Corbomite Manuver" "Charlie X" "Mudds Women" "The Empath" "Trouble With Tribbles" "Doomsday Machine" "Shore Leave" "Mirror, Mirror" and many others. You can check their site to see if they are still in print, or cruise ebay for copies (which I did when I upgraded from vinyl.)

Still there are tracks from Trek that I would dearly love to have, that haven't been put on any disk yet... specifically, I'd love that dramatic drum beat and brass sting that has been tracked on several episodes. The one that sticks out in my mind is when it was used in the "Assignment Earth" episode. When Gary 7 is standing in the transporter chamber, and the title of the episode comes up. Brilliant music!
Yep, that's what i'm talkin' about allright. Some of that music was really beautiful.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 AM
Vice Admiral

Mostly it was economics. Much cheaper and easier to score an episode from TNG by paying some guy who has a good computer emulator than getting a composer, renting a scoring stage, paying a small orchestra, recording the tracks...

Unfortunately, the guy they got to score TNG couldn't come up with anything much more memorable than "library music" is. In fact, I'd say some of the library music I've heard is better than what they used for TNG, and most of the new series in general. (With the exception of the main themes.)

Old 03-25-2008, 06:56 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
It's those Edison bakalite cylinders that are the toughies...
Yes, and the needles for them??? So hard to come by!!! LOL
Old 03-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Vice Admiral

I don't know about you guys, but I LOVED the 8-track joke in Men in Black!

The only two 8-tracks I ever bought: "Switched on Bach" and "Star Wars." (how much of a fan geek does that make me?) LOL