The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Prometheus reactions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Federation Councillor

On the topic of scores, while it pops in my head again as I watch it, does anyone else find that James Horner's score at the opening of 'Aliens' is reminiscient of the score from '2001' when we cut to the Jupiter Mission?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
On the topic of scores, while it pops in my head again as I watch it, does anyone else find that James Horner's score at the opening of 'Aliens' is reminiscient of the score from '2001' when we cut to the Jupiter Mission?
Yep. Extremely similar.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

The entire thing is also really similar to WoK

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Yep. Extremely similar.
It's the exact same music. I've played them both, especially over and over in me 'ead....and yeah, they're exactly the same.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Commander

I think it's generally accepted that Horner borrowed that music and arranged it into his compositions.

From wikipedia:

Quote:
The score to the James Cameron film Aliens was composed by James Horner. Released in 1986, it was one of his first major hollywood scores. The score itself includes musical references to Gayane's Adagio from Aram Khachaturian's Gayane ballet suite, which had been used in Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). The score also uses musical motifs, sound treatments and excerpts from Jerry Goldsmith's original soundtrack to Alien (1979). Additional cues taken from Jerry Goldsmith's Alien score were used in the climax of the film when Horner was unable to finish some cues to Cameron's satisfaction. The film's editors also reportedly altered the score's chronological flow, sometimes looping, truncating or removing the music and placing it in fragmented form in the film out of context. Despite production issues, it was nominated for an Academy Award in 1986. It was performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. The soundtrack album was released the following year, in 1987.[4]

Last edited by samwiseb : 06-18-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Federation Councillor

Well that would definitely explain that then!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Hopefully I can do this without being spoilerific, but here goes Again, anyone who wishes to avoid even potential spoilers might want to regard this with caution when reading it.

Yoooooou haaaave beeeeeeen WWAAAARRRRNNNEEEEDDDDDDD!
Thanks! Since I'm too lazy right now to flag this myself.

Quote:
I think that what is happening from the end of the film is thus:
The Prometheus mission will be officially "erased" from the Weyland records. Whatever action the survivor(s) take on in the sequel to this will be of its own, separate accord, and not even acknowledged in any way, shape, or form by the Company (Weyland).

How I think this sets up for the ALIEN movies is this:
The moon and planetary system in which the events of PROMETHEUS take place looks very, very similar to the system in ALIEN. It is even subject to the powerful storms that seem to have ravaged the moon in ALIEN. Granted, the landscape is different, but I honestly think the change of the landscape has to do with the presence of the xenomorphs...(much like how the xenomorphs change their environs to suit them, just like the xeno did in ALIEN (director's cut) when Ripley discovered the coccooned Dallas and Brett on the Nostromo, and like the xenos did at the Hadley's Hope terraforming tower in ALIENS. The derelict ship probably automatically set off a distress signal (per certain events in PROMETHEUS). Obviously, signals don't travel through space instantly, so over the course of some years, the Company picks up this signal, renewing hopes that they'll find something of worth on that moon. I think the PROMETHEUS planet will be redesignated LV-426, as if it were a completely new site. The Company (on the verge of becoming Weyland-Yutani) now knows there is something "special" there, that suits there interests in creating a bio-weapon....perhaps as a defense against potential events discovered by the PROMETHEUS crew....perhaps to be used in their Private Military Corporate warfare schemes...who knows?
The Company has to play their cards right. This has to appear as a new event to all concerned...especially to whomever they "volun-tell" to go out to investigate the "signal". That would be the NOSTROMO crew. To ensure that the crew does as they are "volun-told", they plant Ash aboard the ship....unbeknownst to the crew that he is an android. (Dallas did tell Ripley about how Ash was a new replacement when they left Thedus....before that, having shipped out twice with another science officer.)
What they will find will be unexpected. I think the company expected to find one particular thing (per the results of the PROMETHEUS mission), and will end up with something entirely different (given the ending of PROMETHEUS)...yet still valuable, perhaps even moreso, to their bio-weapons R&D....that's why even Ash was surprised by, and yet admired the life form the Nostromo crew finds. All that Special Order 937 said was: "Bring back life-form--Priority One. All other considerations, secondary. Crew Expendable." It did not specify just what they were looking for, because even the Company did not really know.
When Ripley defeats the xeno at the end of ALIEN, and the Company picks up her S.O.S. from the Narcissus (the name of the shuttle/lifeboat), the Company has to engage in yet more CMA action. They officially deny finding any evidence of the xeno Ripley described. They tell her that such a life form has never been recorded once in over 200 surveyed worlds. Company man, Carter J. Burke, apparently privvy to the super-secret events leading up to the doomed Nostromo mission, and acting on this new information, sends a directive to Hadley's Hope to investigate certain coordinates (where the derelict is located). Thus the crux of the events of ALIENS begins.
I'm afraid that's too much continuity for me.

Why do prequels always need to shrink the world and make everything smaller? And why do so many fans seemingly go along with it?

What came out of Shaw's union with infected Holloway was practically an accident. The alien 'xenomorphs' (as we're apparently 'supposed' to call them for identification purposes) are iconic. Do we really want what came out of Shaw to be the sole genesis of those things? Really, seriously?

From where I stand, Shaw's little puppy didn't even seem to be the same variant/strain/whatever as what we've seen before. Maybe it was more of a genetic cousin. A labrador instead of a German shepherd.

There is no evidence of Prometheus near the derelict on LV-426. And aliens changing the landscape seems like a stretch. For one, they were hibernating inside the ship. And there wouldn't seem to be a practical reason for them changing the landscape (it's not a huge nest or anything; just rocks). Plus the atmosphere is a different color. Changing the name of a planet seems superfluous, especially if you're trying to bury records.

There are several ships on LV-whatever; Shaw and David seem to find one in short order. And 'wherever' the Engineers are, there will be other ships in the universe. It's not so great a stretch if one of them became infested while en-route to somewhere and was forced to set down on LV-426, never again to take off.

Granted, Weyland's past experience with the Engineer's does make it seem more likely that they might have identified an Engineer distress distress signal, had an vague idea of what they expected to recover, and then arranged for one of their cargo ships to pass near that system. So there's that.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Commander

Uh-oh. Here's another article. Whatever will we do:

http://io9.com/5919306/another-theor...-of-prometheus

Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post

Why do prequels always need to shrink the world and make everything smaller? And why do so many fans seemingly go along with it?

What came out of Shaw's union with infected Holloway was practically an accident. The alien 'xenomorphs' (as we're apparently 'supposed' to call them for identification purposes) are iconic. Do we really want what came out of Shaw to be the sole genesis of those things? Really, seriously?

From where I stand, Shaw's little puppy didn't even seem to be the same variant/strain/whatever as what we've seen before. Maybe it was more of a genetic cousin. A labrador instead of a German shepherd.

There is no evidence of Prometheus near the derelict on LV-426. And aliens changing the landscape seems like a stretch. For one, they were hibernating inside the ship. And there wouldn't seem to be a practical reason for them changing the landscape (it's not a huge nest or anything; just rocks). Plus the atmosphere is a different color. Changing the name of a planet seems superfluous, especially if you're trying to bury records.

There are several ships on LV-whatever; Shaw and David seem to find one in short order. And 'wherever' the Engineers are, there will be other ships in the universe. It's not so great a stretch if one of them became infested while en-route to somewhere and was forced to set down on LV-426, never again to take off.

Granted, Weyland's past experience with the Engineer's does make it seem more likely that they might have identified an Engineer distress distress signal, had an vague idea of what they expected to recover, and then arranged for one of their cargo ships to pass near that system. So there's that.

Sometimes things on paper seem like good ideas singularly but then end up amounting to a considerable unlikely scenario but that's the movies. Few movies actually do this right without retcon.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post

Good counterpoints, Sam.