The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Prometheus reactions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Yes, Elliot Goldenthal's score for ALIEN 3 was very good. ALIEN 3, honestly, was a movie that grew on me. When my mother and I first saw it in the theater, our initial reaction was..."Hmmmmmm..."...but with later viewings, I really came to appreciate what it tried to be. But yes, the score is probably the best part of that movie.

Agreed on all counts martok!

The Prometheus score, aside from the Alien theme in Weyland's scene, shares plenty of similarity to Alien 3 IMO.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

Hi, jla,

Yes. I agree. Something else I liked about PROMETHEUS was how its opening theme suggested the boldness and curiosity of exploration, ala StarGate. And as the story progresses, the themes become more doom-riddled.

ALIEN started off with a mysterious overtone. Not necessarily doomish, but certainly more like a warniing....you're in for one hell of a ride. Then the themes are a little bit, for lack of a better word, domesticated, as we come to know the crew of the Nostromo, and then things just get worse from there, until Ripley's victory over the alien...then the ending title reflects what seems to be as happy an ending as possible.

This is in strong contrast to something like First Contact, where I felt that the opening theme should've been more foreboding, and then became more hopeful as the movie went on.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Hi, jla,

Yes. I agree. Something else I liked about PROMETHEUS was how its opening theme suggested the boldness and curiosity of exploration, ala StarGate. And as the story progresses, the themes become more doom-riddled.
Quite true. There's a track near the end of the Prometheus soundtrack that has so much reminiscence to Alien 3. Did you notice any hints of Aliens in the movie or soundtrack? I caught the "David, we are leaving!" line which sounded just like "Drake, we are leaving!"

Quote:
This is in strong contrast to something like First Contact, where I felt that the opening theme should've been more foreboding, and then became more hopeful as the movie went on.
Though I like the First Contact theme, I do agree that it was probably the wrong opening piece for the film.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Rear Admiral

To be honest, I was let down by this film. I was hoping for a clearer story and the characters just weren't that interesting to me. It was hard to feel for them so when something bad happened to them, you didn't really care about it. I give the film 10 out of 10 for the effects, which were absolutely dazzling! The interiors were believable and inside the Space Jockey ship was just so disturbing and intriguing. Where the film falls flat is the writing. You can have an amazing film visually, but if the writing is bad...that can't really work. I would rather see a film with cheesy effects and better writing than the opposite.

However, there were some good scenes, but in no way would I put it up there with Alien. I just don't get why Ridley Scott was so afraid of this movie being a direct prequel. I don't know what to officially call this film. Is it part of the Alien series of films or does it just so happen to be in the same universe as Alien? In any case, I would see it again but sadly not in theaters.

That all being said, this film is far a better prequel then the dreaded Star Wars prequels, which I won't even get into lol.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 06-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Commander

I sawr it a second time yesterday, and I actually quite like it. Although the few things that really bothered me about it still do. But I'd grade the thing overall a definite B-plus.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Quite true. There's a track near the end of the Prometheus soundtrack that has so much reminiscence to Alien 3. Did you notice any hints of Aliens in the movie or soundtrack? I caught the "David, we are leaving!" line which sounded just like "Drake, we are leaving!"
Oh yes, I caught that too.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
To be honest, I was let down by this film. I was hoping for a clearer story and the characters just weren't that interesting to me. It was hard to feel for them so when something bad happened to them, you didn't really care about it. I give the film 10 out of 10 for the effects, which were absolutely dazzling! The interiors were believable and inside the Space Jockey ship was just so disturbing and intriguing. Where the film falls flat is the writing. You can have an amazing film visually, but if the writing is bad...that can't really work. I would rather see a film with cheesy effects and better writing than the opposite.

However, there were some good scenes, but in no way would I put it up there with Alien. I just don't get why Ridley Scott was so afraid of this movie being a direct prequel. I don't know what to officially call this film. Is it part of the Alien series of films or does it just so happen to be in the same universe as Alien? In any case, I would see it again but sadly not in theaters.

That all being said, this film is far a better prequel then the dreaded Star Wars prequels, which I won't even get into lol.
Sometimes it is hard to classify whether or not this is a true prequel, or rather just a story set in the same universe some years before, but almost disconnected from the events of ALIEN.

When Ridley first spoke of it, it was indeed..."direct prequel". Then it mutated into something else.

Overall, I still take it as a prequel of sorts...given certain events in the film.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Federation Councillor

It's a bit weird just now.

At the moment it definitely isn't something I can take as a direct prequel, it seems to have been refocused more towards the statement Lindelof made about what he thinks 'true prequels' should be (but I'm writing this quickly so I can't look up an article where he says it in full).

Whether it's intended that if the whole story were finished it would come around to LV-426 might be debatable since Lindelof also said he saw continuation of the story moving further away from 'Alien' and not getting closer to it. But we might never know what that means if no sequels get made and I don't know just now if that will happen.

To be honest, at the moment, I think the very final scene of the film was a mistake and it was put there because I think they didn't quite have the courage to cut the cord totally on connecting it to 'Alien' in some more directly recogniseable way.

But overall I really liked it.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 06-18-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: wrong planet first time round!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

Hopefully I can do this without being spoilerific, but here goes Again, anyone who wishes to avoid even potential spoilers might want to regard this with caution when reading it.

Yoooooou haaaave beeeeeeen WWAAAARRRRNNNEEEEDDDDDDD!

I think that what is happening from the end of the film is thus:
The Prometheus mission will be officially "erased" from the Weyland records. Whatever action the survivor(s) take on in the sequel to this will be of its own, separate accord, and not even acknowledged in any way, shape, or form by the Company (Weyland).

How I think this sets up for the ALIEN movies is this:
The moon and planetary system in which the events of PROMETHEUS take place looks very, very similar to the system in ALIEN. It is even subject to the powerful storms that seem to have ravaged the moon in ALIEN. Granted, the landscape is different, but I honestly think the change of the landscape has to do with the presence of the xenomorphs...(much like how the xenomorphs change their environs to suit them, just like the xeno did in ALIEN (director's cut) when Ripley discovered the coccooned Dallas and Brett on the Nostromo, and like the xenos did at the Hadley's Hope terraforming tower in ALIENS. The derelict ship probably automatically set off a distress signal (per certain events in PROMETHEUS). Obviously, signals don't travel through space instantly, so over the course of some years, the Company picks up this signal, renewing hopes that they'll find something of worth on that moon. I think the PROMETHEUS planet will be redesignated LV-426, as if it were a completely new site. The Company (on the verge of becoming Weyland-Yutani) now knows there is something "special" there, that suits there interests in creating a bio-weapon....perhaps as a defense against potential events discovered by the PROMETHEUS crew....perhaps to be used in their Private Military Corporate warfare schemes...who knows?
The Company has to play their cards right. This has to appear as a new event to all concerned...especially to whomever they "volun-tell" to go out to investigate the "signal". That would be the NOSTROMO crew. To ensure that the crew does as they are "volun-told", they plant Ash aboard the ship....unbeknownst to the crew that he is an android. (Dallas did tell Ripley about how Ash was a new replacement when they left Thedus....before that, having shipped out twice with another science officer.)
What they will find will be unexpected. I think the company expected to find one particular thing (per the results of the PROMETHEUS mission), and will end up with something entirely different (given the ending of PROMETHEUS)...yet still valuable, perhaps even moreso, to their bio-weapons R&D....that's why even Ash was surprised by, and yet admired the life form the Nostromo crew finds. All that Special Order 937 said was: "Bring back life-form--Priority One. All other considerations, secondary. Crew Expendable." It did not specify just what they were looking for, because even the Company did not really know.
When Ripley defeats the xeno at the end of ALIEN, and the Company picks up her S.O.S. from the Narcissus (the name of the shuttle/lifeboat), the Company has to engage in yet more CMA action. They officially deny finding any evidence of the xeno Ripley described. They tell her that such a life form has never been recorded once in over 200 surveyed worlds. Company man, Carter J. Burke, apparently privvy to the super-secret events leading up to the doomed Nostromo mission, and acting on this new information, sends a directive to Hadley's Hope to investigate certain coordinates (where the derelict is located). Thus the crux of the events of ALIENS begins.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

*Spoilers!*
Does anybody else think that the alien that pops out of the big dude's chest at the end winds up on another ship and that ship heads to LV-426? Might that Alien be a Queen? Or is just that the black goo on the other ship formed Aliens rather than snake-like thingamabobs.