The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Prometheus reactions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 02:40 AM
Commander

I think Scott made such a comparison in one of his commentaries. Possibly Blade Runner final cut. Of course the legal complications between the two franchises would not likely allow an official crossover, and we're probably the better for it.

Crossing Alien and Predator just because some fan scratched his head and said "hey; aren't both owned by FOX?" was asinine to begin with.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:30 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
As for the movie itself, I think there is a unique opportunity here. I mean, here is a really cool universe of sci-fi to deal in stories....and they don't necessarily have to be about ALIEN or ALIENS....there's all sorts of possibilities that could be expanded upon. More of the Colonial Marines' function in the ALIEN universe. How do Private Military Corporations work? What about the ferocious corporate intrigue and (likely) warfare in this dystopian universe? I'm sure that Weyland has made MANY enemies in the corporate world.
Seems to me I made a similar comment re Blade Runner on here a while back; being that they could abandon the whole cops-and-replicants premise entirely while still keeping within the established world of capitalist dystopia, space colonies, East/West culture mishmash, 'cityspeak' and artificial intelligence. When you think about it, the anime series Cowboy Bepop isn't all that different (conceptually) from the larger interplanetary world that is implied in Blade Runner.

Question in the case of Prometheus/A L I E N is, would FOX realize such possibilities? Or would they instead go back to reviving their Aliens franchise with whoever is willing to direct for cheap? How's it looking on the Prometheus front?

Does Prometheus deserve a sequel? Would a sequel even address the problems with the first movie? Do Scott and Lindelof actually have any of the answers they've already (reportedly) failed to disclose this time around? Would Scott even be up for directing a sequel? He's 75 now. And he's still got to direct the Blade Runner sequel, and I think something else before that. Could somebody else direct a Prometheus sequel? It sounds like the answer is 'no'. Besides, who would FOX pick? Someone talented or cheap?

It's going to be at least a couple of days before circumstance spares me the time to see this bloody picture.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
Does Prometheus deserve a sequel?
I'd say personally 'yes'. Given what else gets sequels these days I think the fair answer to that would be 'why would it not?'. There's clearly unfinished business (and while I think that is the weakness of the film, in as much as it doesn't give you anything but a very clear 'to be continued' end, I would want to see at least one more.

Quote:
Would a sequel even address the problems with the first movie? Do Scott and Lindelof actually have any of the answers they've already (reportedly) failed to disclose this time around?
This is where it would get interesting because this is what is up in the air, I think. Right now you get the sense that with his 'Lost' background at least around Lindelof there could be verifiable questions asked about whether answers (at least within the story) do exist or whether this is a set of questions and ideas that could be spun out endlessly but never entirely resolved.

Quote:
Would Scott even be up for directing a sequel? He's 75 now. And he's still got to direct the Blade Runner sequel, and I think something else before that.
He's currently going directly into 'The Counselor' adapted from Cormack McCarthy's latest book. That's a confirmed 'go' project that should start filming soon.

But as one of the top tier directors Scott's name is attached to umpteen projects (though he might end up just being a producer on some of them). But there's that film to shoot, then the supposed 'Blade Runner' sequel, a rumoured 'Moses' project and then the fact that as mentioned above 'Prometheus' is clearly designed to be more than one film.

And as you say, he is 74 just now. With the best intentions, how many more films can he realistically get made before age finally catches up. He looks pretty solid for a 74 year old in the way Shatner looks pretty solid for an 81 year old................but he does have (let's be kind) limited time to make everything he might want to make.

Quote:
Could somebody else direct a Prometheus sequel? It sounds like the answer is 'no'. Besides, who would FOX pick? Someone talented or cheap?
I think Scott would be very important to any sequel at this point. I think only he can give it the sense of scale and BIG that the story seems to want to demand. But if it proved to be successful then perhaps FOX would be willing to fast-track production, assuming that Scott and Lindelof have an idea where they are going and start work on a script.

The thing that is frustrating me a little is that I had hoped 'Prometheus' would maybe give me a sense of what Lindelof might be bringing to Abrams' Trek sequel as he is one of the writers on it as well.

Well, it looks like he can chuck out the ideas (and good ones, and interesting ones) but like I said, the film doesn't to me feel like it has a strong enough narrative holding it together by the end. Although looking back and thinking about it I can kind of also agree with Martok that if you strip away 'Prometheus' bigger notions, the underlying sequence of events isn't too far removed from 'Alien' itself.

So, I'm still left unsure if he'll be an asset or not to the Trek sequel's script.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Federation Councillor

For anyone who may be interested after seeing 'Prometheus' then I wanted to post this link to a podcast that may be of interest.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/podcast...comment-156807

This is a movie site that I visit a lot and the guys involved do a podcast every week. This week they discuss some of the themes and ideas within 'Prometheus' for about 45 mins and some of the things they feel are successful and unsuccessful within the film. It does have spoilers for those who have yet to see it, but as you will note from the page on the website it clearly states when the spoilers laden part of the discussion begins so you will be able to avoid if you wish.

I found it a very interesting chat that contains several things I agree with about what might be going on 'under the hood' so to speak!

If anyone decides to have a listen, hope you enjoy it. You can use the buffer bar on the page to forward through the podcast to get straight to the 'Prometheus' part without having to listen to the rest if you don't want to.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

It looks like Prometheus is getting really good reviews. Apparently even Roger Ebert really liked it.

But some of the more semi-negative reviews sound so cookie cutter and cliche, it's hard to take them seriously: (sacrificing story for visuals, great actors delivering clunky dialogue, etc.)

As for whether Promy deserves a sequel, I'd have to say, yes....and it would be an interesting sequel, one semi-detached from the larger whole of the ALIEN universe because of the nature of the ending of this film.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

As a prequel to Alien, the movie falls flat. As a typical modern day sci-fi with a dash of Ridley, I liked it.

I found most of the characters to be unlikeable (except for David) unlike Alien, where I enjoyed every single character in the film.
I think I would have enjoyed the whole thing a lot more if there had been no connection to Alien (or if I'd never seen those movies).
Definitely had the best use of 3D I've seen in some time, so kudos to Ridley for going the 3D route.

Last edited by jla1987 : 06-08-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

For some, it might have fallen flat as an ALIEN prequel because the writers probably did not wish to give away too much in this first film...there'll probably be more revelations in a sequel.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Federation Councillor

I think Lindelof was quoted as saying a sequel could actually go further away from Alien rather than closer to it.

But I think the more I come to the opinion it was not meant to be a direct prequel (it sorta is, but we're probably going to be going the long route before we get anywhere near LV426 - if that is even part of the equation) the more I like it. But the film suffers because they couldn't let go of it entirely and trust the separate idea they had.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I think Lindelof was quoted as saying a sequel could actually go further away from Alien rather than closer to it.

But I think the more I come to the opinion it was not meant to be a direct prequel (it sorta is, but we're probably going to be going the long route before we get anywhere near LV426 - if that is even part of the equation) the more I like it. But the film suffers because they couldn't let go of it entirely and trust the separate idea they had.
It's an odd thing for me. I love having a new piece of a universe that was ravaged and thought forgotten due to Resurrection and AvP 1&2, and yet Prometheus would have been better served having no connections to Alien at all.

24 hours later, I'm still going over it all in my head and I think it's starting to click for me, both standalone and as a prequel to Alien. I'll be treating my dad to a showing of it next weekend for Father's Day, so I can't wait to give it another go

Last edited by jla1987 : 06-09-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

I definitely wanna see this movie again, and in IMAX 3D....it was well worth every frame, and every penny!