The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > New uniforms revealed (spoiler)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
They look similar to the stuff Spock and Pike wore so they are probably dress uniforms and will most likely only appear for a few minutes on screen. I doubt that they discard the three-colour standard uniforms if just for compositional reasons. Hard to imagine this shot with everybody wearing Mao grey.

Maybe the uniforms had something to do with an official occasion, as the case of a funeral scene? That would tie in with the house scene.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Are you guys talking about the baseball caps, I don't remember any hats in "Enterprise." If they keep the ibridge, I don't think those uniforms compliment it very well.

Yes, the baseball caps. A baseball cap is a hat.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Space commies? XD

Looks like they changed the Arrowhead a little bit.... its looking more like the TOS version with the pointed (instead of rounded) points. Anyone know who the girl is supposed to be? Like is she a kid of one of the stars or producers, or is she playing a daughter of someone?

GREAT SCOTT!!! ANOTHER FRIEND OF ZARDOZ!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Federation Councillor

Although, stripping out the colour the hats themselves tend to seem in line with the style of hats worn by commercial pilots still and of the sort that you can buy yourself. Maybe slightly larger heightwise at the top but still broadly similar.

If formal uniforms are grey, then the hats need to be as well. Yeah, you can get a slightly Soviet vibe off it all but really that's the downside of making assumptions from a single behind the scenes image. There's absolutely no context to it.

Like the ridiculously small minded at times criticism online (and here a bit if I recall) of the image of Quinto suspended on a soundstage which will resemble the final shot or it's place in the sequence in no way as it was shown in the still.

Gotta have the context in the film.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Fleet Admiral

I agree, the context will matter

Old 06-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Admiral

I'd say she is playing Noel Clarke's character daughter in the film and that's his house or apartment.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXa2nSuNxoE

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
There's absolutely no context to it.
Yes there is. Comrade Chekov is about the interrogate the little girl and ask her some important questions about the behaviour of her parents. It turns out that they have indeed conducted business with the imperialist capitalists with the big ears. Comrade Scot orders immediate transfer of the prisoners to a gulag transport, we fade out, music sounds and the words Star Trek appear on the screen.
Seriously, I didn't need any context to determine that robocop on a bike does not belong into a Trek movie and I do not need any context now to determine that a uniform which looks Soviet and militaristic is inappropriate for Trek. I also do not need any context to know beforehand that this will neither be a satirical flick like Starship Troopers nor a dialectical piece like the Meyer movies (i.e. their very militarism caused its opposite). It will just be there, basically without any context, and among many other tiny little things create this uneasy feeling that this is somehow not the Starfleet we are used to anymore.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Seriously, I didn't need any context to determine that robocop on a bike does not belong into a Trek movie and I do not need any context now to determine that a uniform which looks Soviet and militaristic is inappropriate for Trek. I also do not need any context to know beforehand that this will neither be a satirical flick like Starship Troopers nor a dialectical piece like the Meyer movies (i.e. their very militarism caused its opposite). It will just be there, basically without any context, and among many other tiny little things create this uneasy feeling that this is somehow not the Starfleet we are used to anymore.
I'm 100% sure you don't. Just as I'm 100% sure you're own obvious prejudices never play a part in your reading of anything associated with the flick. But since you won't be seeing the film it won't really matter to you.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 06-01-2012 at 02:47 PM.