The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Star Trek Re-Envisioned
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Fleet Admiral

I would imagine that exploratory ships would have the ability to defend themselves.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Fleet Admiral

If it is a bunch of plasma cannons which barely suffices to blow up comets I'd rather stay at home as scientist and if the vessel has enough weapons aboard to deal with most threats you need a tactical crew anyway.

I think it is important to have warships like the Defiant in the fleet. In peacetimes you can still use her for other stuff. But what do you do with such ships all the time when you have them in a separate military institution?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

There's an obvious flipside to that as well. using heavily armed ships that are essentially "battle cruisers" like the Enterprise for exploration could just as easily spark off war. A ship like that strays across a border it does not know exists, it could certainly be seen as a threat.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Fleet Admiral

Those ships are never not in use, they are an active deterrent against aggression from outside.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
There's an obvious flipside to that as well. using heavily armed ships that are essentially "battle cruisers" like the Enterprise for exploration could just as easily spark off war. A ship like that strays across a border it does not know exists, it could certainly be seen as a threat.
Sure but I'd rather not go into deep space without being fully capable to defend myself. Not all scientists are as obsessed as the Hansens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Those ships are never not in use, they are an active deterrent against aggression from outside.
I do not see that a separated fleet would automatically have more firepower than one with multi-task vessels.
As you said the Constitution can very well be perceived as a battle cruiser so I'd rather guess that it is the other way around.

Not that I am against warships, one might wanna use them for border patrol and stuff like that but as all your ships need a lot of basic stuff anyway, i.e. a warship needs sensors and a scientific vessels needs weapons, it seems to me that ordinarily you want multi-tasking vessels that can use all of these systems.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Admiral

If we look back in maritime history a lot of early exploration vessels were able to defend themselves. Space exploration vessels should be no different. I'd hate to turn up to a party unprepared - gifts and guns; the only way to travel.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

Now a cargo bay filled with Romulan Ale is an idea I think we can all get behind!

Old 05-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
If we look back in maritime history a lot of early exploration vessels were able to defend themselves. Space exploration vessels should be no different. I'd hate to turn up to a party unprepared - gifts and guns; the only way to travel.

Should be on the ships plaque