The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > If Star Trek had gone up against the Avengers?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Seems Trek will be up against Ironman 3 in may next year… alas…
I'm not worried. Iron Man 3 is made by a less experienced director, and will have two weeks to clear before Star Trek anyway. And both are distributed by Paramount, so one can easily move for the other depending on how the rest of the summer schedule looks. Lets not forget that ST09 took on both Terminator Salvation and X-Men Origins...... WOLVERINE!!! in its month of release (even though talk inside the theater seemed to predict the other two would come out on top).

The Marvel Cinematic Universe may be a well-oiled machine, however its individual installments are not.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:27 AM
Federation Councillor

I'd agree with Sam's last line (and it's worth noting that domestically Star Trek significantly outgrossed three of the five precursor films, although it did less internationally) but Iron Man 3 is going to benefit MUCH more for coming out after The Avengers than if it had just followed Iron Man 2 directly.

But at the end of the day, you cannot predict what will fly and what won't. It's also useful to remember that I don't think ANYONE predicted how successful Star Trek would be at the US box office OR how critically well recieved it was. It was one of the wild cards of 2009 over the more established bets of Terminator and X-Men: Wolverine which should have had much bigger preset fanbases.

And it won.

So, until it comes out and interest and buzz can be gauged alongside reviews we really don't know if the sequel will build on that first run or flop.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-22-2012, 02:55 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Iron Man 3 is going to benefit MUCH more for coming out after The Avengers than if it had just followed Iron Man 2 directly.
You're probably right about that. Oh well.

Two weeks clearance is still preferable to one. If the movie tanks, it probably deserves to.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:38 AM
Federation Councillor

Which goes back to my original thoughts re The Avengers that none of the major films that have opened in it's wake have been well recieved anyway.

But films can still do well in the shadow of an 'event' film even if it siphons off a lot of money elsewhere. Sherlock Holmes did just fine under the shadow of Avatar back in 2009/10 even if its numbers were a fraction of that giants.

But Iron Man 3 won't be as big as The Avengers anyway. It will just benefit at the start when it opens. So there's room to breathe for the Trek sequel if it's good enough to pull people in.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-22-2012, 04:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I'm not worried. Iron Man 3 is made by a less experienced director, and will have two weeks to clear before Star Trek anyway. And both are distributed by Paramount, so one can easily move for the other depending on how the rest of the summer schedule looks. Lets not forget that ST09 took on both Terminator Salvation and X-Men Origins...... WOLVERINE!!! in its month of release (even though talk inside the theater seemed to predict the other two would come out on top).
Those movies weren't hyped.
I'm not sure Star Trek was hyped but it seemed to have better press...
but word of mouth didn't work well for them either and it did for Trek which is why I think it was a success.

Quote:
The Marvel Cinematic Universe may be a well-oiled machine, however its individual installments are not.
I don't think it matters with these fan groups being so large. This is the stuff of Legends and....video games. It speaks for itself.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post

I don't think it matters with these fan groups being so large. This is the stuff of Legends and....video games. It speaks for itself.
Sadly, most video game translations of super-heroes, especially if they are based on movie versions of said super-heroes, do not turn out well at all.

Games like THOR and Iron Man on the Marvel side of things got mediocre to piss poor reviews. Captain America and one of the Hulk games I think fared alright. I have a feeling that video game companies would be afraid to even touch The Avengers for fear of not making a game that lives up to the standards of the movie...or even the spirit of the team up.

On the DC side, there has NEVER been a good Superman game. Green Lantern fizzled out....fast. However, Batman Arkham Asylum and its follow up, Batman Arkham City have both gotten rave reviews and almost perfect scores.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

That's just it though.
No matter how bad they do those games and movies...fans will still show up in hopes of a good one. Batman being a good example...from Batman Forever to Batman Begins. or even Marvel Ultimate Alliance to Avengers.

Trek doesn't have that luxury of a massive fan base. Our audience are frequently just pleasure seeking ordinaries.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

D'accord, mein amigo.