The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > If Star Trek had gone up against the Avengers?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Fleet Admiral

You know what movie I think is going to get hurt by The Avengers, the Spider-Man reboot. It's just sandwiched in there between The Avengers and the new Batman movie. The Batman movie has been greatly anticipated, so it will probably do well. But things might get rough for Spidey. I'm probably going to sit that one out in favor of Batman and Prometheus. Spidey will have to wait until his day of rental comes

Old 05-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Commander

I'll give Spidey a chance. There's going to be an inclination to compare it with the prior trilogy anyway just because it's so popular. But to be honest, I found really only the second film to be deserving of said popularity.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Fleet Admiral

I will too. Infact This is Marvel' Year. Comic book fans will be eager to see both Bathman and Spiderman. For some reason Spiderman is one of Marvel's enduring legends of Heros.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

As Saquist so correctly pointed out earlier, people are only willing to go to the theater so many times in a given season. It's not that I don't want to see Spidey, it's just that I've already decided that The Avengers, Batman, and Prometheus were going to be my three Summer must see flicks. I probably won't go see anything else.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

I was very happy with The Avengers, by the way. That was a fun movie.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Admiral

I'm waiting for the DVD's. Won't go the see anything on the big screen anymore unless I really have too. The last time was Trek in 2009, if I remember correctly.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Fleet Admiral

yeah....Prometheus and DKR are definitely my other two summer priorities. Spidey looks cool, but it was so far off my radar that I didn't even really give it the slightest consideration until I saw the trailer. Trailer looks good, but still not a priority for me.

Prometheus is definitely looking more and more like a true ALIEN prequel....in addition to the footage most of us have already seen in prior trailers and teasers, one particular shot definitely told me this had to be a prequel....a shot of a ringed planet with a small moon or two around it....one of those moons being the planet where the ill-fated Nostromo would land years later (assuming this movie is indeed a prequel).

Old 05-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I'm waiting for the DVD's. Won't go the see anything on the big screen anymore unless I really have too. The last time was Trek in 2009, if I remember correctly.
Movies that I will flat out refuse to go to see in the theater anymore are movies that are made from freshly ended television series..(I was thoroughly disappointed on a big screen level with the first three TNG movies and Serenity)..unless it just happens to be Battlestar Galactica....and that's a project that's been in development hell since time immemorial.

As far as Battlestar Galactica goes, everything seems to point toward a movie based on the classic '78 series, and not the recent Ron Moore production. I personally would welcome a big screen treatment of either version...or a combination of both. The only thing that would give me pause is the notion that it just might seem too small for the big screen because the new Galactica was one of those shows (like Firefly) that was too big for the small screen. Television visual effects have really done a bang up job in at least giving big screen movies a run for their money.

A classic outing would be the way to go. Even though classic Galactica was also too big for the small screen at the time, just as time passed between the end of Star Trek and the release of Star Trek The Motion Picture, the visual impact of a classic based Galactica movie would be more considerable. Star Trek was only off the air for 10 years before it got its first theatrical film, but visual effects between '69 and '79 had jumped by leaps and bounds (thank you, George Lucas and ILM ). Some 30 years have gone by since classic Galactica went off the air. A big screen treatment of that would be just what the doctor ordered...so long as certain elements were kept out.

Last edited by martok2112 : 05-22-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Seems Trek will be up against Ironman 3 in may next year… alas…

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 AM
Fleet Admiral

It is more difficult for a movie series to capture lightning in a bottle three times in a row than it is to do so twice.

Then again, Harry Potter did it 8 times.