The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Prime Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you think Prime Trek will be depicted again?
No 7 70.00%
Yes 0 0%
Maybe 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2012, 02:42 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
The 'Kirk doesn't know how to drive a car' never held water anyway, watch a Piece of the Action again and you'll see that Kirk knows all about the 'starter' and clearly looks for it on the floor of the vehicle. He knows, he's just a little rusty that's all, despite what he say's.
He handled that old antique better than I would have.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
What decline? If you ask me Trek just came back from the dead.
Ehm, the decline caused by continuity obsession I talked about. I would have totally loved to see Star Trek - The Beginning but nonetheless I couldn't have said that it is good to go down the road of tieing a Romulan War trilogy into ENT. It is useful to let one's analysis not be impacted by one's stupid preferences.
If the movie had been a clear reboot there wouldn't have been any Nimoy, overflow of familair Trek aliens (Orions, Romulans, Klingons, Vulcans), implicit story connections to NEM and Reunification and above all no attempt to copy TWOK in it.
Note that this is not so much caused by Orci's bad writing but rather, as I pointed out, a structural problem of the franchise. It will most likely also be a problem of the next series.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:37 AM
Federation Councillor

Except I'm quite unconvinced that a clean reboot would avoid familiar elements for very long any more than the alternate universe did.

This, I might add has little to do with my personal preferences but simple observation of reboots. Clean or otherwise the familiar primary elements always end up returning. They have done in Nolan's Batman, both the Guy Ritchie and BBC Sherlock stories, Battlestar Galactica on TV.............and on and on etc.

A clean reboot would find it would not avoid Trek elements like certain races any better. And I believe this to be the case regardless of a film format, whether it's a TV series or a film series. Granted in a clean reboot you could give Klingons pink hair and Romulans three arms if you felt like it. But there would still be a race called Klingons and a race called Romulans.

I think that's why it's important to distinguish between continuity obsession and using the ingredients that are to some degree expected. I do not believe they are the same creature. And ironically, it's likely because of personal preferences that people will come down on either side of the wire on that difference. Is it continuity obsession that TSFS and TFF used Klingons when any new made up race could have filled the same purpose? Or is it merely using the elements that are expected to crop up now and again? I think it's the latter personally.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 05-20-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think it is problematic to compare Trek with derivative works like superhero movies which are based on comics or Sherlock Holmes which is based on Doyle's prose.
So far Trek has always progressed, hence the passing of the torch moments. But now it went back to the roots and tried to reboot itself yet also tried to stay true to its traditional patterns like the aforementioned passing of the torch moment.

The biggest problem was in my opinion that the last movie tried to explain why things are different now inside of the story, i.e. it gave an answer to a continuity-obsessed question. That's why a simple and clean reboot would have been better.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Federation Councillor

I guess that could be seen as a problem if it wasn't straightforward enough to follow. It's no more intelligent or elegant than the line in TMP and yet everyone swallows that like a good little pill. Although the alternate is an ongoing issue I still fail to see what the real problem is.

The question of derivative-ness in Trek is a different matter, but we are in reboot territory now and so the rules of reboots must be accounted for. But as soon as I knew it was an alternate I made sure I was not going to try and square the circle of the obvious result things would have to look different. That was just me, though.

Nor do I believe that some fans would have been any more generally fine with a clean reboot (yes, I agree it may have been the better option in hindsight still however) because the well known complaints about the reboot of BSG should suffice to highlight it's never that simple. A clean reboot would never have been a cure-all complaints solution. It's just one extra item for those who generally didn't like the film anyway.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think the disconnect here is that I don't see a decline, and I don't see this continuity obsession you keep talking about. I just don't see it.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

The chances of seeing the original timeline in anything other than books and comics are slim.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
The chances of seeing the original timeline in anything other than books and comics are slim.
EXTREMELY slim...But at least it will never be forgotten. At this rate, they might as well make Prime Trek in novel and comic form canon. Lol

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 05-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Commander

I think the franchise has been in decline since Insurrection came out and DS9 ended, the market was saturated with Star Trek and people were bored of it. Ent comes along, is a good show but just isn't enough to bring it's popularity back. The new film has been popular in its own right, but I don't think it's brought renewed popularity to the rest of the franchise, sadly I've not seen too many people who enjoyed the new film go and check out the original series as a result.

I really can't see the prime universe coming back to TV or cinema, reason being it would confuse new fans at this point, it just isn't feasible to have effectively two version of a show running like that. The one way that I am slightly optimistic (though it would have to be a new show as I doubt any of the old actors would come back for it), would be an online show or straight to DVD mini series.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Rest assured, Trek will always resurface in one form or another.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!