The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Prime Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you think Prime Trek will be depicted again?
No 7 70.00%
Yes 0 0%
Maybe 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Rear Admiral

I agree with a lot of your responses. I do however, believe we will never see the Prime Universe ever again. At the same time, IT WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. J.J. Abrams is now in control of Star Trek, however it will will have the general basis of what has come before.

In a way though, the current Trek is for hollywood while the Prime Trek is more for us sci-fi fans. But yrah, the Prime Universe depicted on screen will be no more...

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 05-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Federation Councillor

I would go the route that you never say never with stuff and can't predict ten, twenty years from now. It's hedging ones bets to be sure but it doesn't make much difference right now.

I'm generally more interested in whether the result is something I like. I'm less concerned by Prime or Alternate Trek since I imagine give Alternate Trek long enough and the results in it will vary as widely as they did before on both the writing quality and sci-fi quality front. And we already know how bad the Prime could get.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-19-2012, 03:41 AM
Commander

Yes, a series like that wouldn't survive long at all. Whatever it is, in today's market it will have to be at the very top of its game even by TNG standards. But it's really up to CBS what they want to do with the franchise.

Paramount, I imagine they will try to hold onto the current actors as long as they can. But I can't picture most of them sticking around for longer than four movies at the most. Being movie actors, they'll have other things going.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:15 AM
Rear Admiral

To play devil's advocate, the one way that I could see a possible return of the prime universe is if there's a TV series set in the 25th- or 26th-Century. It would have to be a deliberate and conscious choice by CBS to move Trek forward rather than reinvent the wheel again. Such a series would really only need to have the basics--Starfleet and the Federation--with any references to specific stuff in previous Trek shows happening only once in a blue moon. If it involves a future USS Enterprise with a registry like NCC-1701-H (just as an example), that would really be all the lip service to previous continuity that it would need, IMO. Otherwise, it could really have the freedom to push things in new directions with new characters and situations.

With the Rick Berman era now long since passed, the show would be under the direction of a new executive producer/creator that would likely have a different vision of Trek and how it should be (he or she may insist on more interpersonal relationships & conflicts and less reliance on technobabble for stories).
Old 05-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Rear Admiral

Very good point! It would have to be set some time in the future, like during the era of Online.

Fans Expendable
Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Rear Admiral

I think it should go farther than that (at least sometime around circa 2460 AD). It should be as far removed from TNG as it was to TOS.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Rear Admiral

That would work too. But, let's not make it so it would be past Enterprise-Z.

Fans Expendable
Old 05-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
That would work too. But, let's not make it so it would be past Enterprise-Z.

You just start using a different Alphabet. Greek is out due to the military alphabets' reliance on it, but maybe something like Hebrew.

Or, maybe, by the time they make the Ent-Z (just to clarify, when you read this I am saying "Zed", not "Zee") the Klingon's have become an integral part of the equivalent of the Federation (the UFP won't last for that long). Thus when it comes to the next Enterprise, the next ship's name will be presented with a Klingon letter on the end. (The first letter of the alphabet is pronounced "bab".)

Just a thought.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/klingon.htm

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 05-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't like the idea of pushing the Trek storyline even further into the future. The technology would just keep getting more and more advanced. I think a reboot is a better alternative.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

There are plenty ways to tell stories without this reboot nonsense. After all it does not ignore continuity issues but, as the last movie showed, rather intensifies them.
While it is not a sound comparison as we talk about the beginning of Trek with little "ballast" I still think it is useful to remind ourselves that nobody cared about rebooting anything in '79 or '87, they just did their thing.