The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Prometheus will release R rated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
That's unfortunate. Your missing many enjoyable films.
It's very fortunate.
I don't buy my enjoyment at the cost of my standards, Kevin.

I walked out on a PG-13 film called Hunger Games because watching children die did not hold any fascination for me no matter what the story is. To which the person I went with told me "It wasn't that bad". But of course it wasn't to him, he watched this kind of thing with alacrity and he had no experience with child abuse as I had thus no determination to avoid it.
I've seen enough movies to know how they will end. It's all the same.
I usually prejudice a film until I've received word that the "R" or PG-13 rating is justified or unjustified like I did with the Matrix. I don't just romp into theaters at the prospect of being entertained because I know given enough time I could get used to anything being entertaining...and that's not what I want.

I was recently at a work mates home who had had a pool party I decided to go to.
They were having a problem find a movie to watch but eventually settled on this movie with Aston Kutcher and Natalie Portman. We all sat down to watch including one of the guest's two toddler children 2 and a 5 year old. Eventually at somepoint Aston Kutcher was naked. The children said nothing for sometime. Eventually he mounted Natalie Portman rather awkardly.

Immediately the 2 year old ran up to the TV and said "OOOOH, Look mommy."

(Point being at some point this child will engage in sexual activity when older, but the education started at 2 years old and while the child will likely forget the scene it's self the interest was sparked and the curiosity will be ingrained. The question of what they are doing and why become dominating especially with a progression of similar events. Rather than guiding the child the parent has instead rather carelessly thrown the child to learn on their own and likely that will continue. This is the rather common path of teenage pregnancies. Children don't really have gender distinctions beyond what they learn it's only after 11 to 12 years of education that their hormones begin to motivate them on that knowledge and what ever limited experience parents allow either by consent or ignorance. )

Old 06-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Fleet Admiral

I remember one time, when I was 14 or 15, my mom was throwing a tupperware party in the house, in the kitchen. I had been waiting quite some time to watch "Sudden Impact", the most recent Dirty Harry movie at that time, famous for the "Go ahead, make my day!" catch phrase. So, I was in the living room, plenty out of the way of the party. So, I'm watching the movie on Showtime, and all of a sudden, one of the moms who had two small children there just decides to come be-bopping into the living room, and DEMANDS that I turn the channel. I was of course, indignant. "You're telling ME what to do in MY home?!" She replies with annoying calm: "I don't allow my children to watch violent movies." My reply: "Well, they aren't in here, and as long as you keep it that way, there'll obviously be no problem." Huffily, she walks off, and after a moment of obvious behind the scenes conversation, my mom comes into the living room and says: "Turn the channel, son." "But mom, I--" "Just do it, Steve. You can watch it another time."

Oooooh.....if I was fuming before, I was on fire now! I had planned my day around this event, only to have it usurped by some self-righteous mom who decided to stick her nose into my fun, in the place where I live! And she was able to turn my mom to HER side. There should be a special hell for people like that!

Old 06-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Other than that, my mom was pretty cool. She decided that my brother and I were going to eventually experience certain kinds of things someday, so we might as well be as ready for the world as possible. Even at age 11 (me) and nine (my brother) she let us watch R rated movies. She trusted our intelligence to sort out real from fantasy. (Actually, the first R rated movie I watched, and I was five at the time --and I DRAGGED my parents to the drive in for this one-- was The Exorcist. That is an amusing story for another time though. ) But on HBO and Cinemax, we watched ALIEN, a few other b-rate horror movies, and I remember my mom and I watched "A Clockwork Orange". By the time that movie was over, she said: "I don't care if you ever watch that movie again, just don't ask ME to watch it with you." Heh heh...I took that as permission to watch it whenever it was on again...but she did change her mind on my next solo viewing. She said: "I think I said I don't ever want you watching that movie again." When I cited her original quote back to her, she said: "Well, that's not quite how I meant it."

"A Clockwork Orange" is one of my all-time favorite movies now.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I remember one time, when I was 14 or 15, my mom was throwing a tupperware party in the house, in the kitchen. I had been waiting quite some time to watch "Sudden Impact", the most recent Dirty Harry movie at that time, famous for the "Go ahead, make my day!" catch phrase. So, I was in the living room, plenty out of the way of the party. So, I'm watching the movie on Showtime, and all of a sudden, one of the moms who had two small children there just decides to come be-bopping into the living room, and DEMANDS that I turn the channel. I was of course, indignant. "You're telling ME what to do in MY home?!" She replies with annoying calm: "I don't allow my children to watch violent movies." My reply: "Well, they aren't in here, and as long as you keep it that way, there'll obviously be no problem." Huffily, she walks off, and after a moment of obvious behind the scenes conversation, my mom comes into the living room and says: "Turn the channel, son." "But mom, I--" "Just do it, Steve. You can watch it another time."

Oooooh.....if I was fuming before, I was on fire now! I had planned my day around this event, only to have it usurped by some self-righteous mom who decided to stick her nose into my fun, in the place where I live! And she was able to turn my mom to HER side. There should be a special hell for people like that!

That reminds me a quote: "Fair is what pleases me."
The woman displayed a high standard of morality in regards to violence but displayed a low standard of respect concerning the domain and boundaries of another home and sanctuary. At the very least her approach was ill conceived, pushy and irreverent of the very concept of individual choice that allows her to differ.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
That reminds me a quote: "Fair is what pleases me."
The woman displayed a high standard of morality in regards to violence but displayed a low standard of respect concerning the domain and boundaries of another home and sanctuary. At the very least her approach was ill conceived, pushy and irreverent of the very concept of individual choice that allows her to differ.

Indeed. Of course, me being an insolent teenager at the time, one could not convince my mom that I was in the right, even though I was. It was still a "respect your elders" kinda thing. Oy!

Old 06-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Federation Councillor

Well, I went and saw it.

I'm going to have to go and see it again because it's.................interesting. But I'm not sure where I fall on it. It is definitely NOT like Alien or Aliens and yet does as Scott said, very much have the DNA of Alien in it. I'm not going to say more but I would definitely say to anyone watching that you don't want to go in expecting a film like the first two. Because Prometheus is not like that.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Well, I went and saw it.

I'm going to have to go and see it again because it's.................interesting. But I'm not sure where I fall on it. It is definitely NOT like Alien or Aliens and yet does as Scott said, very much have the DNA of Alien in it. I'm not going to say more but I would definitely say to anyone watching that you don't want to go in expecting a film like the first two. Because Prometheus is not like that.
Sounds ominous and interesting… more cerebral?

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Commander

I've heard mixed things. That it's grand in visual scope and big on ideas and setup, but falls short in payoff (like maybe it wants to be the next 2001 but it pseudo-intellectualizes or something? Hard to know what the critics meant when you haven't seen it yourself). That most of its characters aren't very well developed save for 'something' about the android character. That the movie itself is noisy in a way that's more comparable to the latter Alien movies than the silent dread of the earlier ones. And finally that the close of the movie felt very fan-oriented and unnecessary, as if it wasn't enough for the film to stand on its own (I'm kind of afraid to ask on that last part).

Old 06-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

<----covers eyes

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!!!!

Me wait for Fridayyyyyyyyy!!!!!

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!!!

Old 06-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I've heard mixed things. That it's grand in visual scope and big on ideas and setup, but falls short in payoff (like maybe it wants to be the next 2001 but it pseudo-intellectualizes or something? Hard to know what the critics meant when you haven't seen it yourself). That most of its characters aren't very well developed save for 'something' about the android character. That the movie itself is noisy in a way that's more comparable to the latter Alien movies than the silent dread of the earlier ones. And finally that the close of the movie felt very fan-oriented and unnecessary, as if it wasn't enough for the film to stand on its own (I'm kind of afraid to ask on that last part).
Partly.

Again, I'll hold off saying too much because I don't want to spoil everything. The film is visually gorgeous. Truly. But for me it's the final third where major issues emerge and aspects of the finale. I don't think I feel it pseudo intellectualises what it wants to be about thematically but that it doesn't commit itself to anything other than a great deal of set up. Though I think the intention is to explore that in a sequel.

I felt the atmosphere was good. Scott does a good job creating a sense of impending doom and that things are not going to go well here on the planet. The end of the film is not a 'and cut to Nostromo in space' style connection though. But I felt parts of the end didn't live up to the first 90 mins of work.

Like a lot of Ridley Scott films I suspect there is a lot on the cutting room floor that would flesh out parts. But I could be wrong.

courtesy of Saquist