The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Major Spoilers!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 AM
Commander

Worst case scenario, they make a sucky movie. They'd probably recover from that.

I don't know that the prior film franchise, even after five more movies, ever recovered from the Shatner-directed installment.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Federation Councillor

I tend to believe that film did more lasting damage than suspected at the time. Certainly in terms of the films. I believe it's after TVH and the debacle of V that we quickly went from the films having a broader appeal to starting to narrow in appeal until you get to the TNG films.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Commander

Except even then I don't think First Contact played to the same size market as Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home, or even The Search for Spock. (Damn it, where's that incriminating chart when we need it. Bloody bookmarks)

Gotta run... dental appointment. We'll find out just how much more sensitive my teeth have gotten.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Fleet Admiral

As expected the eternal repetition of the same, a Khan hattrick, and the franchise is still deeply continuity obsessed. On the other hand Cumberbach is a great actor and his Khan will most likely be far superior to the pathetic copies Shinzon and Nero.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Fleet Admiral

Hey I hope he quotes Melville XD

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
his Khan will most likely be far superior to the pathetic copies Shinzon and Nero.

Don't call Nero pathetic!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
As expected the eternal repetition of the same, a Khan hattrick, and the franchise is still deeply continuity obsessed. On the other hand Cumberbach is a great actor and his Khan will most likely be far superior to the pathetic copies Shinzon and Nero.

Yeah. I agree. If anything it'll be interesting to see what Cumberbatch does with it.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 05-03-2012, 04:38 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

I for one, am disappointed in myself that I gave in to looking at the spoilers, but I have now.

I don't actually see why so many are up in arms over this. I expected about half, but just about the only people on the 'net that I can find who have voiced their opinion express serious misgivings. It's not as if they were entirely unexpected. Apart from Nimoy's return.

And I think that now they have done their villain-simply-in-place-to-unite-heroes story, and now it will an altogether more rounded piece.

But then again they could be doing a rehash, which would be rubbish and unoriginal. I don't think they'd be that stupid.

And fans did seem to be crying out for Khan before this.

Quote:
On the other hand Cumberbach is a great actor and his Khan will most likely be far superior to the pathetic copies Shinzon and Nero.
I agree with this. Benedict Cumberbatch not only has a really good name to say, but also is a good actor with a good style. And probably a good range, but I've only seen him in two things.

And I wouldn't say that Nero was a pathetic copy. He was an under-developed villain, but I liked Eric Bana's portrayal of that wild-eyed, quietly seething, angry Romulan. Any character development of his on the part of the script would have been nice.

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 05-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

Given that the last two movies have already been to some degree failed attempts to repeat TWOK it is totally beyond me how anybody would want to do this again. Until INS we had one TWOK, now we have four.
But as you said many fans demanded Khan so from a business perspective it is smart to cater to the hardcore fans while delivering an enjoyable summer blockbuster for everybody else. This risk-averse choice is of course totally sound from a business perspective but from a creative perspective playing it super-safe is a disaster.

As I said all the time, the notion that these moves are a fresh start is wrong. With Khan and Spock sen. we are not just knee-deep in the waters of continuity obsession but nearly drowning.
The future (if there is any which I begin to question as Orci and Kurtzman are not the source of the continuity problem but merely a symptom of it) lies in the next series.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Admiral

I can't see any new series breaking new ground as far as story development. The studio is going to say "Look we already have a tonne of these old scripts, lets rework some of them, it will save us a bundle." And we will end up with more of the same. There were so many similar episodes across all the Trek incarnations in the past I can't see that changing in the future.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!