The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Spock's new suit (set picture!)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

The asymmetry is pretty telling. There are those who consider STXI to be perfect and those who think it scores 10/10 in only 9/10 categories and get called names, liars or whatever just because they dare to point out that it sucks in the tenth category.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Federation Councillor

I'm just surmising but possibly it's because perhaps people may appear to assume that simply because they say it 'sucks' in a certain category that there's no discussion to be had about that category and that it's a definitive 'suck'. Or no prerogative to disagree over any problems it had.

Of course, when we think back and recall folks who liked the film being described by you as those who were only into 'pew, pew, pew' (there were some various other terms floated about but I have forgotten some of them) this generalising and disbelief when they explained otherwise didn't seem to be a problem for you. They were still just into 'pew, pew, pew' Trek only. The consideration that people's overall Trek tastes might be a skoosh less black and white than that did not seem to remain an option. It still appears not to.

But then I seem to recall we've (and others) have already had the discussion about how apparently no-one else apart from you is allowed to have a variable opinion on the film that appears not to have been recalled and the film must still be termed in easy to package generalisations and doubts of your own.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

I love all Trek.

Star Trek
Star Trek movies
Star Trek TNG
Star Trek DS9
Star Trek Voyager
Star Trek Enterprise
JJ Abrams' Star Trek.

It's all TREK!

Old 04-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

LOL!
"It's all fun and Star Trek until someone gets shot with a 'phaser bolt'!"

Old 04-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I love all Trek.

Star Trek
Star Trek movies
Star Trek TNG
Star Trek DS9
Star Trek Voyager
Star Trek Enterprise
JJ Abrams' Star Trek.

It's all TREK!
The Way to Eden isn't and neither is Treshold. No f'ing way. Space hippies reaching warp 10 and turning into lizzies is something I would watch though.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
The Way to Eden isn't and neither is Treshold. No f'ing way. Space hippies reaching warp 10 and turning into lizzies is something I would watch though.

LOL! Even the best shows have their turkeys.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:17 AM
Commander

Quote:
The asymmetry is pretty telling. There are those who consider STXI to be perfect and those who think it scores 10/10 in only 9/10 categories and get called names, liars or whatever just because they dare to point out that it sucks in the tenth category.
Quote:
Of course I take offense when the Abrams fanboys call me a liar.
Let me repay the courtesy and claim that you are full of sh*t, judging something you don't know.
I'm not a 'fanboy', nor do I think the movie is perfect, nor have I called you a liar. This may be difficult to accept, but nobody here has called anybody a liar. Kevin hasn't, I haven't, not you and not Zim. I'm saying this with a perfectly strait face. Doubting someone has the resolve to avoid a movie he says he'll avoid, is not calling that person a liar. And I don't know what courtesy you claim to be repaying. My initial comment in reply to Zim may have been ill-advised (in retrospect it seems like it was, unfortunately). I personally don't care whether you see it, and it's admittedly a petty discussion as the movie is still more than a year out.

Quote:
I judge a movie I have seen 5 times whereas you judge a series you have only seen partly. I do not judge the next movie as it is not out as yet and as I will not watch it. I merely guess based on the nature of the last movie, the dumba*s blockbuster strategy of the studio and Abrams lensflares, monsters and Spielberg 2.0 repetitiveness that it will be not to my liking ... and naturally I could be totally wrong and miss an enjoyable experiences.
No difference whatsoever. I don't presume to judge based on more than what I've seen. I stop watching because my experience, based on what I've seen, tells me I'm still getting more fat out of my mouthfuls than meat. In the case of VOY, I believe I've already hallowed out most of the steak. As for ENT, I would have to give S3 another try. But that was where I burned out the first time. I hit a stop in S4 following 'Bound', and have yet to pick up that again to. You still haven't (can't) answer my question: exactly how much of the show is it necessary to to see before you think one is allowed an opinion of it?

Quote:
Furthermore there is a big difference between your broad attacks on ENT and VOY (it wasn't fun, it was boring, it was crap in general) which I do by the way not understand in general as I can merely see episodes and not aggregate hundreds of very different episodes into an entity called series and judge this very mixed bag and my precise attacks on STXI (great acting, great effects, pretty entertaining but fluffy).
Oh this is rich. I have rarely been anything but precise most of the time, and I believe I have witnesses. Being precise takes up time, energy, paragraphs and bandwidth. Which you then disregard most of what I say in order to twist the rest around. I'd even think you do so because it humors you... if you didn't seem so desperate to discredit my opinions. Whatever the reason, you won't cut the crap long enough to make elaborating worth my while anymore.

Last edited by samwiseb : 04-26-2012 at 04:02 AM.