The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Finally, a Step in the Right Direction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Commander

Well, as I like to tell people. I'm the Coast Guard equivalent of a red shirt. My area of expertise is in law enforcement. However, since the Coast Guard is only about the size of NYPD there's a lot of cross training.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 04-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

I would imagine. The Coast Guard does a lot of different things.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Commander

Oh yeah. A storekeeper could also become a boarding team member, boarding officer, boat crew, coxswain, etc. It's not like the Navy that has so many people and so much funding that if you're a storekeeper, you're probably only going to be doing that job. But yeah, we do a lot of things it's just that we usually aren't noticed. Perfect example, over the past year you might have noticed on the news that the Navy has made a number of large drug busts. What is generally not covered is that the Navy has no legal authority to do that. When the Navy is involved, it's because a Coast Guard unit from the Deployable Specialized Forces was on that ship. That Navy ship is operating under the authority of the Coast Guard.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula2ssn View Post
Oh yeah. A storekeeper could also become a boarding team member, boarding officer, boat crew, coxswain, etc. It's not like the Navy that has so many people and so much funding that if you're a storekeeper, you're probably only going to be doing that job. But yeah, we do a lot of things it's just that we usually aren't noticed. Perfect example, over the past year you might have noticed on the news that the Navy has made a number of large drug busts. What is generally not covered is that the Navy has no legal authority to do that. When the Navy is involved, it's because a Coast Guard unit from the Deployable Specialized Forces was on that ship. That Navy ship is operating under the authority of the Coast Guard.
That's very interesting. I did not know that.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Too many people, too many guns, not enough sound judgement.
Prepare yourself...................but I agree with your general point.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-14-2012, 01:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

I was raised and trained properly when it came to guns.

A gun is a last resort. You do NOT point a gun at someone unless you INTEND to shoot them.

Regardless, back on track....

I will agree that Zimmerman made a very (to put it politely) boneheaded decision in following Martin, especially against the advice of the dispatcher he had called. I can understand his frustration in how people who looked the way Martin looked that night do actually commit break ins and burglaries, or worse....but it created a very vigilante notion in him...and already predisposed him as to what action he might take should things go South.

But I will also agree that it was boneheaded of Martin to attack Zimmerman. Martin was 6' 0" , 160 lbs...which, to me would make him tall, but definitely not lanky. I think he was also a high-school football player, at least, I've seen pics of him in football uniforms. Zimmerman was 5' 8", and 185 lbs. Now judging by those stats, that would seem to make Zimmerman a little stocky but not threatening, and looking at pics of Zimmerman, he really did not look like anything that Martin couldn't handle. Again, Martin made the stupid decision to attack Zimmerman, not knowing whether or not Zimmerman was armed. (As one great American once said, "An armed society is a polite society." If you don't know whether the other guy is armed, don't go doing stupid stuff.) As a kid, he entered MAN's world when he attacked Zimmerman, and ultimately paid the price.

Before this, it has been stated that Martin had no history of violence...but he did have thug/gangsta mannerisms/tendencies, as shown in his Facebook tweets where he goes by the handle "NO_LIMIT_NIGGA".

Zimmerman did have a history of domestic violence where he was indeed the aggressor.

I'd say that neither the living nor the dead in this case have very strong grounds to stand on. Both acted stupidly, and it cost someone their life.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think this kind of neigbourhood watch stuff is good. Sure, it does not prevent the most serious crimes in our societies, domestic violence and white-collar crimes, but its point is perhaps not so much to prevent burglaries and petty crimes but to create a sense of security and community.
Yet killing an adolescent just because he wears a hoodie, tries to be cool and pretends to a be a gangster, ordinary foolery at this age, is the very opposite of creating security and community.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:25 AM
Fleet Admiral

The role of the neighborhood watch is universally understood as to watch and report, not get directly involved. What this man did is far outside the perview of any neighborhood watch.

I get the sense that this man was some sort of wannabe cop living his fantasy of being a cop.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

They are also not supposed to carry guns as part of that role. This guy did have the proper permit, so it was not illegal for him to carry a concealed weapon. But it was against the Neighborhood watch rules.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well, of course it depends on the crime. When someone is mugged you better do something immediately.
But yeah, in general report to the police, alert your fellow citizens and only as a last step interfere and preferably not alone but with the help of others.