The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Finally, a Step in the Right Direction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 04:33 AM
Commander

Default Finally, a Step in the Right Direction

George Zimmerman is charged with 2nd-degree murder in Trayvon Martin shooting
Old 04-12-2012, 06:02 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Indeed. Non-police armed guys roaming through the streets, doing whatever the f**k they wanted in the name of justice, we already had this over here. It was called fascism.
Unfortunately they're saying the chances of conviction are low due to that ridicules "Stand Your Ground" law. Perhaps they can get him on a lesser charge later. Either way at least all the evidence will be properly reviewed instead of Zimmerman just walking away from this. The one good thing about this tragedy though is, it has people talking and bring awareness to the stupidity of this law and many gun laws in the US.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

I am personally against ordinary people wearing weapons but in the US it is a constitutional right. You cannot really claim that the idea that the police is publicly hired to protect everybody so if they fail to do their job you defend yourself is wrong. After all it is quintessential liberalism, government of, by and for the people.
I am German and while we have a fairly decent democracy the first spontaneous reaction of many people would not be that the government is there for us but that it is some form of natural order. Subconsciously many people, including myself, have some kind of Kaiserreich, authoritarian mindset (while being on the surface sincere democrats). History influences people.

I think it is perfectly fine that US citizens have the right to shoot somebody who attacks them or invades their property. Yet this case is not a matter of self-defense, an unarmed guy who walked through the street has been killed, allegedly because his hoodie made him look threatening. Even under the most lax self-defense laws this cannot be anything less than manslaughter.

I have not followed the case close enough but the local police department being pretty f**ked up seems to be of some relevance.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Captain

There is a lot more to this story than what is being reported through mainstream media. In fact, some reports in mainstream media have been "creatively edited" to portray the story in a certain light.

Trying a case in the media is never a good idea, but that is exactly what has been done. We would do best to let the criminal justice system sort this out and find the truth.

Last edited by mmoore : 04-12-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
There is a lot more to this story than what is being reported through mainstream media. In fact, some reports in mainstream media have been "creatively edited" to portray the story in a certain light.

Trying a case in the media is never a good idea, but that is exactly what has been done. We would do best to let the criminal justice system sort this out and find the truth.
If it wasn't for all the media attention probably no charges would have been laid and this case wouldn't be going to trail. So in this case the media gets a high five from me. Whatever "creatively edited" stories the media has been portraying should be irrelevant now in court and let's see what evidence comes to light. I'm just glad all the evidence is going to be reviewed because no one should be able to shoot an unarmed person dead and not be tried for it. Like the thread title says this is a step in the right direction. On a side note, can I shoot Geraldo Rivera because I feel threatened by his mustache? That thing looks like it is going to jump off his face and attack me.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

Ah, the law and order fraction has arrived and excuses murder via some ramblings about knowing more than the mainstream media. Bullsh*tting about having insider knowledge is a nice try though.

It's like with Hitler, appearing rigid and disciplined on the surface but clearly saying between the lines that with him the Germans can have a lot of fun, raping, pillaging and killing in the East. Or take the Stalinist show trials or the Klan lynchings, carneval as a pure ethical transgression.
With Milosevic and his bunch this kind of 'ideology as an excuse for wickedness' logic becomes pretty clear:

People nothing is forbidden in my faith
There is loving and drinking
And looking at the Sun for as long as you want
And this godhead forbids you nothing

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...van/poems.html
Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Ah, the law and order fraction has arrived and excuses murder via some ramblings about knowing more than the mainstream media. Bullsh*tting about having insider knowledge is a nice try though.

It's like with Hitler, appearing rigid and disciplined on the surface but clearly saying between the lines that with him the Germans can have a lot of fun, raping, pillaging and killing in the East. Or take the Stalinist show trials or the Klan lynchings, carneval as a pure ethical transgression.
With Milosevic and his bunch this kind of 'ideology as an excuse for wickedness' logic becomes pretty clear:

People nothing is forbidden in my faith
There is loving and drinking
And looking at the Sun for as long as you want
And this godhead forbids you nothing

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...van/poems.html
Bite me, you self righteous piece of crap.

I'm suggesting that maybe you haven't heard as much as I have because you're halfway around the damn world. In case you didn't know, an NBC news producer was FIRED for editing the 911 call to portray Zimmerman as a racist.

Again, bite me.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Bite me, you self righteous piece of crap.

I'm suggesting that maybe you haven't heard as much as I have because you're halfway around the damn world. In case you didn't know, an NBC news producer was FIRED for editing the 911 call to portray Zimmerman as a racist.

Again, bite me.
That information is not mainstream media news? Where did you find out about it? Plus I'm pretty sure Germany has ISPs.