The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > A couple shots from an upcoming project...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default A couple shots from an upcoming project...

And now, here are a couple of test shots from a much more attainable upcoming project...BattleSTAR GalacticaWARS. This is going to be the fruition of a video I'd wanted to do a few years ago with miniatures, but now that I've gotten remotely decent at CG animation and machinima, I figure this is the best route to go.

I built the bridge of the Star Destroyer with light up holographic display. I also made the Imperial officers, modifying a Wehrmacht Officer's uniform from Reallusion. I built Lord Vader's mask and life support equipment in Blender, did the usual conversions, and then imported them to iClone. It turned out better than I thought, but it could look better. He also has a working lightsaber...modeled off of my replica Vader lightsaber.

Officers running the bridge of the Star Destroyer:

Lord Vader confers his plans for this star system to Captain Raffor and Commander Greers.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Cool!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

Thanks, Omegaman

Here's a quickie test animation with my Blender/iClone built Darth Vader character and lightsaber. The 2D background is an image taken from the Star Destroyer set I'd built. The lightsaber sound effects I got from my Master Replica light and sound lightsabers. It offers me great freedom when producing the lightsaber effects.

This is only a test...and not a final product. And yeah, I did the voice of Darth Vader in this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zcda...ature=youtu.be

Old 03-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Thanks, Omegaman

Here's a quickie test animation with my Blender/iClone built Darth Vader character and lightsaber. The 2D background is an image taken from the Star Destroyer set I'd built. The lightsaber sound effects I got from my Master Replica light and sound lightsabers. It offers me great freedom when producing the lightsaber effects.

This is only a test...and not a final product. And yeah, I did the voice of Darth Vader in this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zcda...ature=youtu.be
That looks pretty good.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

Muchos danke, mate.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Fleet Admiral

Here are some more shots from my project, now that I have everything running properly in iClone 5 (the latest version, which has a cool "toon" shading feature).

I made stormtroopers, with their blaster rifles, and put them on the bridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ISD bridge 004.jpg (31.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ISD bridge 005.jpg (27.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ISD CCV and Galactica 005.jpg (26.2 KB, 5 views)

Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

And a couple more shots of my ships in "toon" mode.
This is the visual style I'm going with, as I think it will be conducive to certain animations I do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ISD CCV and Galactica 006.jpg (25.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ISD CCV and Galactica 007.jpg (25.1 KB, 5 views)

Old 04-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Federation Councillor

How long does it take to make these up?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

The Galactica was the very first actual 3D model I'd ever built, and at that, after learning this really cool introductory tutorial by Karan Shah, it took me about 5 days. My friends, who are much more adept at this stuff, were amazed at how detailed it was, and even moreso, how quickly I'd put it together for it being my first model. One even said: "Wow, you never start anything small, do ya', Martok?" LOL!

Most models that I do now usually only take me about two days if I get plenty of keyboard time. The TIE's I built in about a day (same central body, just different wing configurations.)

Same with the bridge of the Star Destroyer. Took me about a day and a half, that's including the holochamber, and all the control panels...the surfaces of which are just drawings I did in PhotoShop.

For my Galactica interiors, I actually have a full command deck built up. Bridge, turbolift, commander's quarters, CIC, and council chambers. That took me probably about a week.

The Galactica models (battlestar, Viper, Cylon Raider, Cylon basestar) were built within the space of two weeks, and that was several months ago.) The Star Wars models (star destroyer, Corellian Corvette, TIE's and set pieces) I'd built over the course of a couple of months (Mardi Gras season was crazy!).

Most characters that use armor (Darth Vader, Stormtroopers, Cylon Centurions) I can make in about a few hours per character. The trickiest aspect of these characters were their helmets. Props (lightsabers, blasters) I can build in just a couple of hours. Since they are small props, they aren't really subject to too much up-close scrutiny, although I do try to make the lightsabers look somewhat elegant....basing Vader's lightsaber off of my Master Replica's Darth Vader lightsaber.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

PROGRESS REPORT:
Have completed my first scene of dialogue for this endeavor. It plays out nicely in project mode. Will have to see how it plays out as an exported movie. But...that won't happen for a while.