The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Cholesterol
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Default Cholesterol

Oaky, so the doc says I have to lower my cholesterol. So in an effort to do just that I have taken to the following daily meal and exercise regime. I'm 56.

Breakfast: Small bowl of cereal (Sanitarium Light and Tasty - a mix of flakes, wholegrains, real fruit and Oat clusters) with Rice milk. Cup of tea with Rice milk.

Lunch: Banana, Apple, Handful of grapes and a handful of nuts; either Almonds, Pecans, Pistachios or walnuts (not all together at the same time).

Dinner: Stir fry chicken breast pieces, cashews, snow peas or beans and rice.

Exercise: A 45 minute walk every morning and a 30 minute walk in the afternoon with my dogs.

Now, chicken is the only thing here that still contains cholesterol, which I'm seriously considering giving up as well and just going vegetarian.

Eat vegetables and the cholesterol stops, except what the body naturally produces.

I'm not taking any medication to reduce the cholesterol yet, I'm leaving that decision up to the doc.

Anyone here in a similar situation?

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Fleet Admiral

Avoid Milk or do 2% milk

Old 03-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Commander

I certainly hope not. In spite of my guilty pleasures such as ice cream and Mexican food, I can't imagine my overall habits have changed any since my last physical. My knees are too f- up to run very much anymore, but I still do a lot of walking. I've never been overweight or diabetic. I shall find out what my numbers are next week when my lab results come back. I'm 38.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Federation Councillor

I think the last time I had mine checked was a couple years ago as part of a general M.O.T of blood tests when I was getting checked for something else. Cholesterol etc all came back fine at the time. I don't pretend to have the overall healthiest diet though. It's somewhere in the middle.

I usually go by how my jeans are fitting me!

But I do around 90 mins combined cardio and weights work three times a week (sometimes it can be just the twice depending on what else is on) and try to go for a run at times. I'm chunky built so if I don't do that sorta stuff I blow up in size like a balloon so it keeps me in check. But I've never enjoyed running so I find it isn't always something I do as often as I could. My main problem is issues with a trapped nerve that can flare up around my back without warning.

I'm 34.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 03-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Avoid Milk or do 2% milk
Thanks Saquist, but the rice milk, which is made from brown rice, is 100% Cholesterol free and not an animal product. It tastes okay with cereal.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I think the last time I had mine checked was a couple years ago as part of a general M.O.T of blood tests when I was getting checked for something else. Cholesterol etc all came back fine at the time. I don't pretend to have the overall healthiest diet though. It's somewhere in the middle.

I usually go by how my jeans are fitting me!

But I do around 90 mins combined cardio and weights work three times a week (sometimes it can be just the twice depending on what else is on) and try to go for a run at times. I'm chunky built so if I don't do that sorta stuff I blow up in size like a balloon so it keeps me in check. But I've never enjoyed running so I find it isn't always something I do as often as I could. My main problem is issues with a trapped nerve that can flare up around my back without warning.

I'm 34.
I have Fibromyalgia which causes pain in the tendons and muscles, floating pain that occurs at random anywhere anytime. Can't sit for too long because the hamstring gets sore after a while. Shoulder and neck pain occurs regularly, something to do with the C4 in the neck along with numbness in outer two fingers on each hand. Left hand goes numb sometimes or the whole hand. Rest on right elbow and the fingers of my right hand start to go numb. Two inch spot on the side of my left knee is dead to touch!

Go figure!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

I tend to be pretty bad about diet. I generally eat whatever I feel like. I haven't had my cholesterol tested in some time. It wasn't too bad last time they looked at it, but I could be in for a shock next time! I'm not overweight or anything, and I did give up smoking. So, I got that going for me.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I tend to be pretty bad about diet. I generally eat whatever I feel like. I haven't had my cholesterol tested in some time. It wasn't too bad last time they looked at it, but I could be in for a shock next time! I'm not overweight or anything, and I did give up smoking. So, I got that going for me.
Stopped smoking, that's certainly a plus. Though cholesterol has sneaky way of creeping up on you in less than a year. I get mine checked every six months.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Fleet Admiral

I probably should

Old 03-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I probably should
Not to be alarmist, but I would.