The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Would you rewrite 'Star Wars: Episode 1'?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Federation Councillor

He's the original trilogy version of the Ewoks. I dunno what quite happened to Lucas between Empire and Jedi but that seemed to be when he went into monetisation overdrive - he pretty much only made them to sell cuddly toys.

This is Lucas - half his stuff is based around the merchandise.

I suppose one can (slimly) argue Jar Jar ultimately at least has a pivotal moment and role to play in the end which the Ewoks definitely don't have at all.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't think it serves any function. It's a distraction if anything. It takes you right out of the movie. I agree with your overall point about the need to show the Republic as it was before the fall. The problem isn't with the idea, it's with the execution of that idea.

And that is where the prequels tend to fail. The overall themes and ideas are good, the execution is horrendous in many areas.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

The Ewoks don't bother me until the battle. The battle is just painful to watch. Even as a kid I didn't buy it. The scenes on the Death Star are fantastic, some of the best in the Star Wars films. But the Stormtroopers running around like the Keystone Cops getting their asses handed to them by Teddy Bears, that's just ridiculous. How did these clowns hold the empire together for so long?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Federation Councillor

I don't think the execution is that bad by the standards of Lucas' writing in general - he's never had a knack for good dialogue on his own, but luckily he got others to do Empire.

But the last time I watched Jedi, I must confess to FF'ing through any and all Ewok scenes.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

I disagree, when you look at the original movie it's concise. It's well structured. It gets from point A to point B well. The dialogue is a little sketchy, sure. But overall, it's a good film. The prequels are a convoluted mess. They spend so much time in the first two movies going over Anakin's upbringing and his relationship with Padme, that they leave no room for he fall. And when it does happen, it feels forced. More of the fall should have been spread out throughout the series.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think the Ewoks did not work because their eerieness (they are man-eating teddybears) has not been emphasized enough and because the stupid battle in the woods stands in no proportion to the climax.
About Lucas in general, he simply evolved during the two trilogies. People expected ground-breaking visuals which they kinda got via the CGI overuse, more Westernized Buddhism which they got in even heavier doses and more of the swash-buckling stuff which they didn't get. Instead we got less generic (Aren't old-school Star Wars fans embarassed that the whole thing started off as a blunt copy of a far superior movie, Hidden Fortress?) and more original stories with more meat.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Federation Councillor

Well, Star Wars is obviously not a complex film - never has been, but it has plenty of hokey dialogue. Nor did Lucas invent the plot. By his own admission it's got a variety of influences and he followed the template very well.

I love the film, but it has issues.

The prequels do get bogged down with convolution but then he doesn't have a lot of leeway in them since he can't change everybody's endings. Their entire problem from the start is that he had to write to the conclusion he had filmed years earlier. I don't even think the prequels tell an entirely original story either.

But the first trilogy is an adventure series about essentially a family played against the political, which is very simple in the trilogy. Then the second one wants to be more political at the expense of a story about a family. And yet the whole saga eventually becomes the story of Anakin.

None of it is 'original' though.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 02-25-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

You can watch the old trilogy and basically side with the Empire. Sure, they blow up a planet and all that but I find it easy to imagine the story being told from their point of view. Good centralizing progressive rulers against a bunch of Jedi knights, i.e. some scattered feudal resistance.
You cannot play this game when you watch the new trilogy as it is more realistic and less black and white. In other words, Lucas has grown up while part of his audience hasn't.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Federation Councillor

I sometimes think Lucas wasn't sure of how he was trying to approach the Empire and Palpatine. On the one hand he seems to want to suggest that Palpatine wasn't 'evil' but was just trying to fix a broken system.............but he can't play the power corrupts angle because Palpatine was a long time Sith student and that suggests a darker motivation.

Anakin is the corruption of innocence. The Emperor is more of a mixed message.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

The Emperor is pure evil. He's a totally black character, essentially the Star Wars equivalent of Satan.