The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Here's a thought about the villain…
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
For my taste this is too simple. Is an attitude that lead to the destruction of your planet good?
Cohn-Bendit has said that he is not a pacifist because he has been born in 1945. Now imagine how strongly some Vulcans have to question Surak's pacifism if they have not merely been born after a world war but actually witnessed the annihilation of their home planet.
Things can't go on as they have.

6 billion dead Vulcans was an obvious reference to the Shoa. While it is beyond me how so many Jews who have survived the slaughtering and lost friends and family have maintained their humanity this attempted genocide also lead to the creation of Israel and the end of the diaspora. Things haven't gone on as before.

Wherever the Vulcan survivors settle, at least some of them will want this place to be heavily defended. If I imagined that I were one of the survivors I wouldn't find it hard to wonder how the Empire would have dealt with someone like Nero and based on that argue for a Romulanization of Vulcan society.
Absolutely, they would question everything. They would question their relationship with the Federation, with their core beliefs. I would imagine that their leadership is gone, both governmental and cultural (I know about the ones rescued by Spock, but that's a small handful of people compared to entire planet).

Old 01-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Fleet Admiral

One obvious question would be, why has Vulcan been destroyed but not Earth? Of course there is a factual answer to that question but facts matter very little in such a situation.
Or to be more precise, even if you know what has happened you can nonetheless believe in something that denies these very facts.
That's just how our psyche works on the individual and social level. Culture as such means denaturalization and implies a lot of distortion, disavowal and so on.
Vulcan society is, if anything, more likely to be pathological as one of its general principles is the suppression and denial of emotions. Seems easy in comparison to distort a few historical facts in the creation of a new Vulcan culture.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

Suppression and denial of incredibly volatile emotions.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

Precisely, they have an even stronger need than we do for culturalization. The risk is large that what remains of Vulcan tears itself apart because of these violent emotions so they are in dire need of a new story, a new ideology.
Let's not forget that the Romulans have a stable society. Of course I don't wanna defend them but this is better than endless civil wars.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Admiral

I wonder what passes for a Romulan Olive branch?

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I wonder what passes for a Romulan Olive branch?
How subtly one pokes the other in the eye with said olive branch?