The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Here's a thought about the villain…
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 12:09 AM
Admiral

Default Here's a thought about the villain…

Maybe we're going to have a rogue Vulcan / Group, looking for some revenge for the destruction of Vulcan. I'm sure there would be more than a few unhappy Vulcan's.

…Star Trek: The Vulcan's Strike Back.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 01-26-2012, 01:20 AM
Commander

If it was rogue Vulcans, I'd prefer something a 'little' more complicated than revenge.

I think the idea of a rogue Vulcan group has been discussed here previously. If T'Pring just happened to be one member of such a group, it might serve to place Spock in a conflicted position. Since I think almost any meaningful story for a movie involves 'threatening' to pull the family apart.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:12 AM
Fleet Admiral

It is not without precedent. In previous Trek episodes/movies, Spock's loyalties have sometimes been tested because of compelling circumstances.

Amok Time, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

I think such a story would be great. Something having to do with the destruction of Vulcan and the future of the Vulcan people which takes Spock out of the mindset of dedicated StarFleet officer, and kinda sorta almost makes him some kind of Vulcan -- I dunno-- patriot. A story where, ultimately, his human half helps him to restore his sense of balance, and loyalty back to Kirk, et al.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
If it was rogue Vulcans, I'd prefer something a 'little' more complicated than revenge.

I think the idea of a rogue Vulcan group has been discussed here previously. If T'Pring just happened to be one member of such a group, it might serve to place Spock in a conflicted position. Since I think almost any meaningful story for a movie involves 'threatening' to pull the family apart.
I totally agree, mere revenge is too simple.
If I remember correctly one idea which we have discussed has been that some Vulcans might aspire to become more Romulan. The Federation could not prevent the destruction of their planet and their own, non-Federation forces, if there are any, have been too weak as well so questioning Surak's path is pretty straightforward. This might imply that they wanna go Romulan on the Rommies or that they wanna connect with them.
Yet such a story would probably better fitter the small screen.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Federation Councillor

I like the idea of something with fallout from Vulcan but I think I would tend to place that in a third film to sort of bring the story back to the start (assuming some sort of trilogy type deal).

Have the second film be about something a little more Trek-y (go explore something and have an encounter 'out there') and then come back in film three and find out there's been stuff happening inbetween re Vulcan.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

I want to see a film that deals with the upheavel in Vulcan society and Vulcan villains. Very much in line with what Horatio is talking about.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Interesting… though given the events, which I am sure the Romulans are now well aware of I don't see Rommies extending an olive branch to the Vulcans to soon. The Rommies would be too concerned for their own future.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

It doesn't necessarily have to involve Romulans. But a well done story about upheavel in Vulcan society in the aftermath of losing their homeworld could be really good!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

I had the same thought some time ago... it would be the best story I can think of. The passion of the good against the logic of evil.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

For my taste this is too simple. Is an attitude that lead to the destruction of your planet good?
Cohn-Bendit has said that he is not a pacifist because he has been born in 1945. Now imagine how strongly some Vulcans have to question Surak's pacifism if they have not merely been born after a world war but actually witnessed the annihilation of their home planet.
Things can't go on as they have.

6 billion dead Vulcans was an obvious reference to the Shoa. While it is beyond me how so many Jews who have survived the slaughtering and lost friends and family have maintained their humanity this attempted genocide also lead to the creation of Israel and the end of the diaspora. Things haven't gone on as before.

Wherever the Vulcan survivors settle, at least some of them will want this place to be heavily defended. If I imagined that I were one of the survivors I wouldn't find it hard to wonder how the Empire would have dealt with someone like Nero and based on that argue for a Romulanization of Vulcan society.