The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Don't sweat the small stuff
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Vice Admiral

Myths and stories are always subject to new interpretations; they'd never be relevent for more than one generation otherwise. That's why it's so hard to stick to canon! And besides, if we can accept ridges/no ridges on Klingons, we can accept anything.

I'm with you, therealjongood, as long as it's a good movie, I'll be happy. After all, I don't even go to movie theaters anymore unless "Star," "Rings," or "Potter" are in the title!
Old 03-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Ensign

I agree with kenj - it's a Trekkie thing... Imagine walking into a roomful of Trekkie in costume:

Scenario 1: Everybody is talking about how Star Trek delves into the human relationship between the characters and how good & optimistic they feel about the possible future

Scenario 2: Everybody is discussing the number of times various captains have flouted the PD, arguing why the warp scale was changed, comparing the yields from photon torpedoes versus quantum torpedoes, whether Cochrane was from Alpha Centauri or earth, and what is his favourite pudding

If you ask me, scenario 1 is just *wrong*... But we all get what you're trying to say - we're debating the small stuff cause we're Trekkies... it's in our blood (red, green or otherwise...)
Old 03-21-2008, 09:31 PM

I'm not sweating, just perspiring a bit.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
You are right, but what is so difficult about keeping things that have been established? Facts don't need to be changed, I don't understand the problem in that.
He's talking about the little details which are, in the grand scheme of things, unimportant. I agree that the major points which have been established in canon should remain intact. As for insignias and the size of the ship's railing on the bridge, these are just details that have ultimately very little importance. And I believe that most fans don't care about that stuff anyway. I know I don't.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by emlscs View Post
I agree with kenj - it's a Trekkie thing... Imagine walking into a roomful of Trekkie in costume:

Scenario 1: Everybody is talking about how Star Trek delves into the human relationship between the characters and how good & optimistic they feel about the possible future

Scenario 2: Everybody is discussing the number of times various captains have flouted the PD, arguing why the warp scale was changed, comparing the yields from photon torpedoes versus quantum torpedoes, whether Cochrane was from Alpha Centauri or earth, and what is his favourite pudding

If you ask me, scenario 1 is just *wrong*... But we all get what you're trying to say - we're debating the small stuff cause we're Trekkies... it's in our blood (red, green or otherwise...)
So if I understand you correctly, those of us who don't care about debating the small stuff are not real Trekkies (or Trekkers)? Because discussing the little details in Star Trek certainly isn't "in my blood" and yet I certainly see myself as a big fan. But I guess this would be a debate for another thread so I won't get into it any further.