The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Trek 2013... what?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Personally, a three plus year cycle is better from my perspective because it allows folks to go and do other things (IMO Super 8 was totally worth the delay in a Trek sequel anyway).

While some franchises have been known to work on a two year cycle I think their results have been less than spectacular (Fantastic Four, Transformers 2, Iron Man 2 etc) and they aren't even projects which film back to back. In all of those films you can see the detriment that rushing the sequel out caused. So I'm totally behind Paramount's support for the team and willingness to move the expected dates around to AVOID a rush job.

And there can be no major buzz until something gets made. Though I'm not sitting all day desperately waiting on the flimsiest piece of news either.
As you pointed out before they don't wait four years because they fear it might be a rush job but because the writers and producers are busy with other projects.
I don't care as I won't watch the movie anyway but four years is a bit too long. Average time between Trek movies has been three years (eleven movies between 79 and 09).
Old 11-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
As you pointed out before they don't wait four years because they fear it might be a rush job but because the writers and producers are busy with other projects.
I imagine it's entirely personal opinion as to whether that matters.

I'm not going to sit here and demand they do nothing else but Star Trek. On the other hand, I have no trouble believing that Paramount could have made a sequel without them if it REALLY wanted to have gotten a sequel turned out more quickly for this year or next. I have no problem with them going and doing other things and then coming back to the sequel when they decide they are ready for it.

If we were talking about a TV show, I might have a different view. But not for a film series.

Quote:
I don't care as I won't watch the movie anyway but four years is a bit too long. Average time between Trek movies has been three years (eleven movies between 79 and 09).
I think that yeah, three years is a sort of 'preferred' cycle (not too fast, not too slow) but by the same token it could take another three or four years and I still wouldn't mind. Having a more frequent 'average' cycle for the previous Trek films doesn't make them all good movies and they represent a fair amount of high's and low's.

I'm not sitting here with ants in my pants for it even though I will certainly go and see it whenever it does come round.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
The first three Star Wars movies were three years apart...

Star Wars IV: A New Hope 1977
Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back 1980
Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi 1983
Which shows the results can vary even with a 'preferred' gap!

If I were involved in a franchise or film series it's the average gap that 'I' would seek to maintain but even then things get in the way and that doesn't always work out.

There will be a four year gap between 'The Dark Knight' and 'The Dark Knight Rises' and I don't think that's going to make the latter film suffer at all.

But until you start getting into actual production then there's just not a lot to be said. 'The Dark Knight Rises' blurb factory is in pretty much overdrive now it's actually filming and leaking set photos and sneak peaks like a sieve. But until last year there wasn't much buzz around it. Everyone knew it was coming.................but there just was nothing to say about it.

Not least because Nolan went off and made 'Inception' in between, in the same way he made 'The Prestige' inbetween 'Batman Begins' and 'The Dark Knight'.

So from that sort of angle, I'm not going to hold 'Super 8' against Abrams. It may have helped delay the Trek sequel, but that's not an issue for me.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
There will be a four year gap between 'The Dark Knight' and 'The Dark Knight Rises' and I don't think that's going to make the latter film suffer at all.
Just the point I was going to make. Seems to me there were four years between the two Hellboy films as well.

I can't think of a any sequel that suffered because audiences waited 'too long' after the previous movie for it to be made. Or for that matter, any evidence that four years (or more) between movies was too long. Two of the best big-budget sci-fi sequels ever made (both by the same director) came out after no less than a seven year wait. As far as theories go, this one seems fairly arbitrary and unsupported.

Last edited by samwiseb : 11-11-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

but the quality of those films has nothing to do with the gap but the writer involved....specifically Christopher Nolan.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

They could have rushed into it after JJ finished Super 8 and pressured them to get this film in under deadline. They made a choice not to do that, and in my opinion it's the right choice.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
but the quality of those films has nothing to do with the gap but the writer involved....specifically Christopher Nolan.
I'm not sure that you can say it had nothing to do with it

Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

Aside for a reasonable interval of course.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

All of the ALIEN movies had 7 years in between each installment...alas, only the first two were of any real merit...although Alien 3 does grow on me with repeat viewings.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I'm not sure that you can say it had nothing to do with it
Plus, Nolan didnt solo write ALL his films. Half of his resume is adaptations of other peoples work that others were involved in.

courtesy of Saquist