The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Production Designer interview
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Oh, pish posh - if the folks spent every subsequent film 'fixing' things that fans griped about they would never get anything done.

And there would still be gripes anyway!
Amen.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Amen.
Lemme just say:
+1

Old 11-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
It does show that they take our concerns seriously.
I wouldn't say that they are "our" concerns. Not everyone shares them. I think it's better to keep the established look of the ship.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:43 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I wouldn't say that they are "our" concerns. Not everyone shares them. I think it's better to keep the established look of the ship.
Totally.

I was watching the film last night on Blu-ray and (well, given that I loved the production design of the film from the moment I first saw it anyway) the depth of detail, level of scale and simple visual bang for buck that using those locations gave the film just could not be replicated by building a set or even trying to do it with CGI modelling.

It's just a look that only filming in real locations (dressed and augmented of course) gives over both of the other options. And since I'm not hankering after a severe change to the visual look of the sequel and production design I'm all for re-using the locations that worked before.

But every time I watch the film I get more impressed with the visuals and the set design work right across everything from the Enterprise to Vulcan and Delta Vega. I think they clearly used every resource that they could to put everything onto the screen. It's one of the most visually flawless films of the last couple of years.

Everything is seamless in my eyes.

I just hope that (story concerns aside) they can keep up that level of quality for the sequel and any future films after that.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-06-2011, 04:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

First, sets have always changed between movies. Second, they can't go in the brewery again and rebuild the thing precisely like they did it last time. Third, it looked pathetic, precisely like a brewery. Fourth, they have a bunch of decent, not great but decent sketches for engineering sitting on their shelves. Fifth, it hasn't been necessary to focus on central engineering because Scotty has been absent for a large part of the movie.
Five reasons to design a new engineering set. I'd bet a thousand bucks to a hundred that the Budweiser sets will not be seen again. Doesn't mean that the product placement, another disregard of the general principles of Trek, will stop though.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:59 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think the "Enterprise got refit again" cliche is one best avoided. I think they should strive for some continuity with regards to the sets and design. The pic you linked above is nice and I would have been fine with something like that had they gone that route. But it's far too drastic a change from what they did go with.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:11 AM
Fleet Admiral

This or changing all the interior designs between each and every movie but surely go too far. But the central engineering set from the last movie has been improvised. Seems fairly unpractical to rent a brewery every time you wanna shoot a movie just for the sake of continuity.

Furthermore the harsh difference between the brains and guts of the ship from the last movie implies more than before an emphasis of Kirk and Scotty being the kings their two realms. The decentralized nature of the brewery set isn't fit to make Scotty shine out like this, it needs to have a more centralized structure. Perhaps, as the above picture shows, not as radical as in the case of previous central engineering sets but Scotty nonetheless needs a command center, a throne.

Another point is that the characters are all adolescent. They still mature so the ship which reflects the youthful dynamism of the main characters can do the same.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'm not against tweeks here and there, I think a control area for Scotty would be a nice touch. There's nothing in the last movie that definitively shows that such an area does not exist.

And I'm sure they will have to film somewhere other than the brewery. I doubt they get access to it again. I'm just saying that they should strive to keep some semblance of visual continuity between the two films. I should feel like I'm viewing the same ship.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Fleet Admiral

Another thing I liked about the last set is that it was very kinetic. There was a lot going on. It fit with the kinetic nature of the film.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

Last time a director shot two Trek movies in a row the interior designs have been pretty stable. I am sure that they have been minor changes of the interior and exterior of the NCC-1701-E between movies but I did not notice anything.
The constant change of the ship interior during the original movies did not impact the TNG movies so I doubt that it'll impact the new movies.