The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > TNG HD trailer!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Federation Councillor

The prices are definitely better in comparison to the original DVD box set releases in the UK as well.

I have still been slightly debating it. It comes out soon but I'm not sure I'll get it the day it comes out. I agree the work is great but I'm wondering how often I may truly watch it all. Sort of a cost/benefit analysis of my own.

But the dvd transfer is pretty poor in comparison. I recently rewatched the first three episodes of VOY again on rental and the video transfer is so poor as well. Whether they would ever go so far as remastering that as well I don't know but it had a horrible look run through the Blu-ray.

However sidebar - the eps themselves ('Caretaker' through 'Time and Again') were not all that bad, though I remember never finding season 1 of the show as poor as it became by season 7.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-24-2012, 04:23 AM
Commander

So I saw screenings of the HD-remastered episodes 'WHOHGB' and 'Datalore' last night. Fathom events had booked the screenings in no less than seven theaters in my area.

As with 'The Menagerie' back in 2007, many of the people in attendance were much older... we're talking grandparents. However this time there were a number of people my age as well. No one looked to be younger than mid-30s. There were no kids or young adults there.

Most of the 30-ish people were overweight, sometimes grotesquely so. And most of the ones that weren't still distinguished themselves by being the loudest of the group. None of these younger people had brought dates; all the couples that I saw there were grandparents.

Fathom events ran a really lame TNG quiz as their pre-show entertainment, replacing the still-adds and celebrity quizes that usually run before a feature. The quiz looped through at least twice, and it was accompanied by the TNG title music (complete with ship 'flyby' sound effects). For fifteen minutes the same one-and-a-half-minute theme music looped over again. The most obnoxious younger fans drew attention to themselves by pretending to take the quiz seriously.

Of the screening itself, the episodes were the most tedious. Maybe TV episodes just aren't meant to be seen in theater, no matter how film-like the resolution. Although I do remember 'The Menagerie' playing much better as a feature, not to mention drawing more participation from the audience. Most of the reactions this time (again from the younger fans) were obnoxious hand-claps and mock cheers directed at the "Shut up, Wesley" moments. After 25 years, you would think that would have gotten old. You would think.

The clarity itself was quite impressive. There was still a LOT of grain in many interior shots, however I wonder if that isn't just how film looked in the '80s especially under darkened lighting conditions. Some of the exterior shots were so clean it was distracting... and yet they were the original photographic elements. The ship itself, the cloud formations at the edge of the universe... quite impressive. Other shots such as the high-warp effects still looked soft, but not in a bad way. I think really a screen this large probably isn't the best place to view this sort of thing, and it's probably going to be 50/50 which shots are 'noticeably' improved in HD anyway (unless you have a side-by-side comparison for every single shot). I remember with 'Farpoint' the octopus spaceships were about the only thing that really jumped out at me, even though one can't deny that the episode as a whole was definitely sharper.

The only 'new' effect this time out was the 'crystal entity thing', which I think they explained had been done in 3D (which I took to mean CG) using 1987 technology and therefore had no film components that could be re-used here. They said the thing looked 'flat' (I had to agree), and that the objective this time was to make it more reflective and less transparent... while still keeping it within the 1987 look (they succeeded). Unlike a lot of TOS-R, there was nothing that seemed intended to draw attention as being an 'obvious' improvement; in fact it looked like they might have scanned the original SD video footage to match the crystal thing's movement frame-by-frame (or if they didn't, I certainly couldn't tell the difference).

Another one of those notorious 'male dress' uniforms reared its ugly head in 'WNOHGB', and was about the only thing that brought uniform laughter all around. I am still puzzled as to what motivated the producers to do this. Were they trying to be tongue-in-cheek? Or were they seriously hoping to explain away that 'anyone' could have worn a dress on TOS (and that it 'just happened' to be the women wearing them whenever anything story-worthy was happening in the universe)? I'm sort of inclined to believe the latter, just in the interests of assuming the worst, or giving them the detriment of doubt.

I've also decided, after 25 years of watching, that the red jumpsuits are simply meant to appear pink or purple in most of these interior shots. I mean if they couldn't even fix it for a theatrical screening, then I am finally through with constantly, constantly, constantly, constantly, constantly, constantly, constantly, constantly, constantly, constantly, constantly, constantly adjusting the hue settings on my own TV in order to make them red. After 25 years, I am officially through. Pink uniforms are preferable to green faces anyway.

The best parts of the feature were the extras, most of which will hopefully feature on the BluRays themselves (I've already forgotten which ones had "you are about to watch" content on them which may have been specific to last night's screening; at one point Mike and Denise Okuda explained why they picked 'WNOHGB' for the theatrical screening, and I kept waiting for a similar introduction to 'Datalore' which we didn't get). There were some nice screen tests and audition footage (much of which was in HD), and a lot of it was quite comical. The actors would flub their lines, and it was clear they were not yet fully up on being in a sci-fi TV show (let alone necessarily expecting to get called back). These scenes got the most 'genuine' laughter from the audience.

Also, 'new' interview footage showed that many of the actors have NOT aged gracefully at all, and that new TNG movies (with the actors this old) is frankly not as option the way that it still was for the TOS actors back in '91. So for every fan who has ever advocated another TNG film with those actors -perhaps strait-to-video or whatever- the rest of us can breathe easy that it's never going to happen.

Overall, a worthy presentation. Eagerly awaiting Amazon to ship my S1 set tomorrow. Btw, the Amazon pre-order price has dropped to $59.99 in the US. That's like less than half of the DVD cost for these sets back in the day.

Last edited by samwiseb : 07-24-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Commander

Nice little review there Samwiseb, I'm sorry the audience brought it down a bit but it does seem a fun way to see the newly done episodes, am quite intrigued to see the series myself at some point.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Federation Councillor

I figure it is probably just a matter of time, but at the moment I postponed my intention to buy on the day it came out yesterday.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
Nice little review there Samwiseb, I'm sorry the audience brought it down a bit but it does seem a fun way to see the newly done episodes, am quite intrigued to see the series myself at some point.
They couldn't really bring it down, but they don't get to walk away unscathed either. 'The Menagerie' I think enjoyed a much healthier vocal reaction from the audience. I also don't think they picked very great episodes to screen this time, and the pre-show quiz was really lame (reminded me of the tasteless Trekkie adds on a lot of the VHS tapes in latter years). I'm glad I got to go to this thing though.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
They couldn't really bring it down, but they don't get to walk away unscathed either. 'The Menagerie' I think enjoyed a much healthier vocal reaction from the audience. I also don't think they picked very great episodes to screen this time, and the pre-show quiz was really lame (reminded me of the tasteless Trekkie adds on a lot of the VHS tapes in latter years). I'm glad I got to go to this thing though.
The crowd was awesome at the sold out screening at the Yonge-Eglinton Cinema in Toronto, ON Canada. There were people of all ages, couples, etc. There was a really cute 7 or 8 year old boy wearing his red Starfleet uniform sitting next to me. He was so excited about the whole event. He was pointing out everyone that came in costume to his parents and he went over to ask a 20 something year old guy who was wearing a gold uniform if he could take a picture with him. The guy was more then happy to. Seeing this child's excitement honestly made my night and the experience more enjoyable.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Commander

This is kind of important:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#072512a

I really hope they can resolve this soon, and with a reasonable exchange program set in place. With all the people saying "Meh, I already own the DVDs," this can only damage sales and even potentially jeopardize the project (not that I think the latter is likely).

I went ahead and let mine ship, just to keep the full pre-order discount. However I think I've lost my enthusiasm for watching these until there are more updates on this. Maybe I'll feel differently once I hold it in my hands...

Old 07-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Commander

On a more positive note, Trekmovie has begun reviewing the remastered episodes. It doesn't seem like there would be much to review content-wise (I mean for the most part the eps aren't going to be all that different aside from looking more film-like), however as long as it's there...

http://trekmovie.com/2012/07/26/revi...omment-4908887

Old 07-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Fleet Admiral

If you're going for a blu-ray player, in truth, ya' might as well just go ahead and get a PlayStation 3. They're the best. PS3's already have online connectivity (indeed, most good blu-ray players do...but that seems more an afterthought for those) and the service is free, and when your PS3 updates, it usually updates the latest blu-ray standards along with it. All you need is a broad band connection.

And, if you get into gaming....so much the better. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Commander

Sorry, but I'm not seeing the connection between shopping for a blu-ray player, and already having one and buying this blu-ray set (or addressing the technical problems within the set for that matter).

Anyway, I've never been into gaming and as far as internet connectivity I can barely manage with my computer. My entertainment system is clear on the other side of the room, no place to move it. So no, I didn't pay the extra money for a unit with internet.