The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > TNG HD trailer!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Federation Councillor

Offhand, the only thing I know about CGI in TNG was that it was considered for use of the production of all visual effects on the show but then some decision was made to go with ILM and modelwork. That the first CGI moment was, I think, the alien space creature in 'Galaxy's Child' and then I think Generations was next for TNG to use it for visuals.

But to be honest, I couldn't tell you how planetscapes were created at that time anyway. I wouldn't have thought models were used for planets. I just assumed some sort of painting effect. But whether it was even then a sort of CGI...................I'm not at all sure.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Commander

Some new comparison gif shots.

Easiest to click each gif individually and <<back out to the next rather than flip through the slide show (pics are divided into at least two different slideshows, maybe more, and I'm not finding the front page to 'all' of them).

AICN article that links to it is here.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

New season one trailer!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wis3HpE5onY&hd=1

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-31-2012, 02:46 PM
Admiral

All seven seasons of TNG on Blu-ray by 2015 – other Trek series in consideration

http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/31/trai...ease-timeline/

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Commander

"...the way it should have been."

Hearing comments like that, you would think something was 'wrong' with the way it was done. As if the studio cheeped out by not releasing it full HD back in 1987. Or as if using SD video (instead of 33mm film) for post-production wasn't the norm for most TV shows from the mid-'80s through the mid-'90s.

Just for ****s and giggles, I decided to check out some old TOS DVD reviews:
Quote:
When I saw my first remastered episode in high-definition, I heard George Takei's voice in my head: "Oh my!" I remember how disappointed I was when I got my first Trek DVDs and found the colors dull and lifeless, the detail lacking, and the print damage incredibly distracting. The improvement on this latest release is, for lack of a better phrase, jaw-dropping. Star Trek is packed with vibrant colors intended to dazzle the early color television owners, and with the restoration done on these episodes, those colors have never looked better.
-DVDtalk.com, review for TOS Remastered, 2007 DVD/HD-DVD release.

Seriously? Even back when the un-Remastered DVDs were released (which were themselves produced from a remaster BTW) people already thought they looked dull and muddy? Hmm... surely some earlier reviews would reflect this.
Quote:
In terms of video and sound quality, these DVDs have been mastered from the same digital source material as the previous DVD [single] releases (we've confirmed this with the studio). ... The digital, high-definition transfers were done using the original film interpositives from the studio's vaults (for broadcast on the Sci-Fi Channel). The D1 master tapes were then "cleaned" using special digital filters to reduce the amount of dust and dirt visible. The result, on virtually every episode, is a crisp and vibrant picture, with terrific contrast and lush, accurate colors. The video isn't reference quality certainly, especially given the age of these episodes. You'll still see grain as I mentioned, along with occasional bits of dust and scratches on the film, particularly during effects shots. In any case, the picture looks significantly better than you've ever seen it before (save for the earlier DVDs). If you're a fan of the series, and you haven't seen these episodes on DVD previously, you'll be blown away.
-thedigitalbits.com, review for TOS S1 2004 DVD release

Retrospective memory is such a wonderful thing.

Last edited by samwiseb : 02-01-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
"...the way it should have been."

Hearing comments like that, you would think something was 'wrong' with the way it was done. As if the studio cheeped out by not releasing it full HD back in 1987. Or as if using SD video (instead of 33mm film) for post-production wasn't the norm for most TV shows from the mid-'80s through the mid-'90s.

Yeah, sorta have to concur there. Who was thinking in Widescreen 1080p Blu-ray terms in 1986?

Nobody.

Quote:
Retrospective memory is such a wonderful thing.
Always!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Though, rewatching that trailer I suddenly realised that looks like a 'new' CGI explosion from what looks like it could be from 'Heart of Glory'.

So, some new planetscapes, maybe some new visual effects as well. But from that trailer I have to say ita looks like the Enterprise herself is going to look stunning.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Commander

I couldn't really tell... certainly the explosion appears more 'fiery' than what I think is generally accepted as the established Berman-era Trek look. But as to whether it is CG, or merely the original pyrotechnic/paintbrush/whatever elements recomposited... your guess is as good as mine.

To hear the Okudas tell it, there wasn't really a clear one-size-fits-all approach in determining at what stage post-production moved from film to video, or what that meant for things like matte paintings, paintbrush 'phaser' effects or explosions. But it sounds like they generally 'prefer' to use the archived film elements wherever that option exists.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/24/inte...-level-part-1/

http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/25/inte...-level-part-2/

Old 02-09-2012, 02:19 AM
Commander

I just watched 'Sins of the Father', and it was amazing.

For the first time since I got my flatscreen TV (I didn't research it as well as I thought I had), I can finally watch Berman Trek without motion blur tearing the soft-focus image to shreds. Patrick Stewart's bald head remains perfectly crisp in the muted lighting of the great hall.

Perhaps most striking of all though is the opening titles. The galactic rim and other cosmic bodies (which I have not been able to see clearly at all since I got my new TV) have never looked this sharp and luminous.

Now I can't wait to spin 'Farpoint'. My all-time least favorite pilot of any TV series, ST or no, and I can't wait to watch it again.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:13 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I just watched 'Sins of the Father', and it was amazing.

For the first time since I got my flatscreen TV (I didn't research it as well as I thought I had), I can finally watch Berman Trek without motion blur tearing the soft-focus image to shreds. Patrick Stewart's bald head remains perfectly crisp in the muted lighting of the great hall.

Perhaps most striking of all though is the opening titles. The galactic rim and other cosmic bodies (which I have not been able to see clearly at all since I got my new TV) have never looked this sharp and luminous.

Now I can't wait to spin 'Farpoint'. My all-time least favorite pilot of any TV series, ST or no, and I can't wait to watch it again.
I finally got my hands on a copy yesterday and the first episode I watched was "Sins of the Father." I was also shocked at how clear the galactic rim was as well. I'll defiantly be upgrading this series from DVD to blu-ray. It looks amazing!