The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > JJ: "He's in"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 09-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Futureguy Futureguy is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
When the writing sucks you are simply limited as actor ... unless you have the uncanny abilities of Stewart to let even the trashiest lines sound like the work of The Bard.
Wonder how Sean Connery would have handled a ST Movie? Even an actor comically imitating him can sound pretty good. lol (Think SNL Celebrity Jeopardy as a rendition of him.)

I digress...
Connery, in my opinion, just by his presence alone, could carry a story.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-01-2011, 12:15 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

Stewart is lucky that he can spin trash into Gold when he speaks it (oddly some of the few others in Trek to be able to do this routinely were Montalban, Brooks, Ryan and Mulgrew) but most of the rest of the various casts just have more trouble with some of the material that got thrown their way.

I do have a greater fondness for TNG season 1 and 2 than perhaps most.........but Great Scott! some of the episodes and lines were NOT good! Sirtis was hamstrung for a long time by her limited lines which I don't think anyone could have turned around. But she was fine by the time they worked out what to do with her.

I will not brook any word against Dr Beverly however!

It's the actors that can turn iffy dialogue around - just look at the Star Wars trilogies. Ford, Fisher and Hamill could make the Lucas dialogue work even though it's far from great dialogue..................the cast of the second trilogy struggled to do that.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-01-2011, 12:43 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Stewart is lucky that he can spin trash into Gold when he speaks it (oddly some of the few others in Trek to be able to do this routinely were Montalban, Brooks, Ryan and Mulgrew) but most of the rest of the various casts just have more trouble with some of the material that got thrown their way.

I do have a greater fondness for TNG season 1 and 2 than perhaps most.........but Great Scott! some of the episodes and lines were NOT good! Sirtis was hamstrung for a long time by her limited lines which I don't think anyone could have turned around. But she was fine by the time they worked out what to do with her.

I will not brook any word against Dr Beverly however!

It's the actors that can turn iffy dialogue around - just look at the Star Wars trilogies. Ford, Fisher and Hamill could make the Lucas dialogue work even though it's far from great dialogue..................the cast of the second trilogy struggled to do that.
I wouldn't put Brooks with those others.
It's not that he's bad but he is...(at times) over the top hammy.

But Mulgrew and Picard...WOW...spinning trash into gold is right. I'm not sure about Ryan...I can say she's defintely convincing no matter what she does though.

But as far as the Worse....in Trek...that belongs Squarely to Scott Bacula and Antony Montgomery....YIKES.

Take a look at in a Mirror Darkly for the worse of it.
Even though they didn't always act this badly it's when actors are pressed to stretch their acting chops that disasters like this become possible.
__________________


Last edited by Saquist : 10-01-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-01-2011, 04:19 AM
martok2112's Avatar
martok2112 martok2112 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 6,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
Wonder how Sean Connery would have handled a ST Movie? Even an actor comically imitating him can sound pretty good. lol (Think SNL Celebrity Jeopardy as a rendition of him.)

I digress...
Connery, in my opinion, just by his presence alone, could carry a story.
Connery was approached about playing Sybok in Star Trek V. (In fact, the planet Sha Ka Ree is a phonetic nod to the actor). Alas, he was busy with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (or it might have been Hunt for Red October.) In either case, he was unable to take on the role. Admittedly, much as I kinda shrug at Trek V, I thought Laurence Luckinbill did a nice job with the role.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-01-2011, 04:23 AM
martok2112's Avatar
martok2112 martok2112 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 6,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
It's the actors that can turn iffy dialogue around - just look at the Star Wars trilogies. Ford, Fisher and Hamill could make the Lucas dialogue work even though it's far from great dialogue..................the cast of the second trilogy struggled to do that.
I would have to say that Liam Neeson did fine in Phantom Menace though.

Speaking of which...on a related note...
Watch the Phantom Menace when Qui-Gon is explaining about Midichlorians to young Anakin, and then watch Rob Roy, when MacGregor is talking to his bairns about "honor".

It's almost the same speech.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-01-2011, 05:35 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I wouldn't put Brooks with those others.
It's not that he's bad but he is...(at times) over the top hammy.

But Mulgrew and Picard...WOW...spinning trash into gold is right. I'm not sure about Ryan...I can say she's defintely convincing no matter what she does though.

But as far as the Worse....in Trek...that belongs Squarely to Scott Bacula and Antony Montgomery....YIKES.

Take a look at in a Mirror Darkly for the worse of it.
Even though they didn't always act this badly it's when actors are pressed to stretch their acting chops that disasters like this become possible.
Who is Mr.Worse? Ah, I see, you mean worse like 'how could the spelling become any worse?'

Seriously, Bakula is a fine actor and just like Takei Montgomery never had much to say or do ... especially not in In a Mirror Darkly where he only has a few lines. Doesn't hurt to actually watch the respective episodes instead of talking out of your butt.
In Fortunate Son and Horizon on the other hand Travis takes the centre stage and shows that he is a good actor.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

ICH HEIL MY FUHRER!

I love this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overacting

Is it bad when your face appears in the encyclopedia for bad acting?.

It's a stark contrast between Mulgrew and Bakula when they do evil characters. I noted the wiki says overacting is often used for dramatic villians. Yet when Mulgrew in the Bride of Chaotica is dramatic yet never over the top. Bakula as his mirror evil self is not just over the top but disingenuous.

But the Enterprise actors were noted for their exceptionally bad skills on stage.

"Scott Bakula, a seasoned actor, performed poorly as Jon Archer, barely venturing beyond being heated and bullheaded in temperament. The other, less experienced, actors had more of reason for their less-than-spectacular acting skills. olene Blalock wavered between restrictive and infantile as T'Pol. Dominic Keating had that under-your-skin loyalty-disciplined aspect to his Malcolm Reed. Anthony Montgomery, as Travis Mayweather, with his often slack expression and overly wide eyes (it was as though he was trying to pop them out) just added to the impression that his character was an idiot.
" ~Why Star Trek Enterprise Stank
__________________


Last edited by Saquist : 10-01-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF37eIdyk64

Yes....such good acting...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-01-2011, 12:03 PM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,257
Default

Just smelling your BS and pointing it out. Try harder next time you talk about episodes you have not seen lest you get embarassed again.

By the way, In a Mirror Darkly is a great two-parter. If you actually watched it you'd enjoy it, not to mention that you'd notice that Travis is little more than an extra in it.
But instead of admitting that you just made sh*t up you will probably just come up with all kind of stupid excuses and deflections.


By the way, I love how you call me a nazi again. Shows what a pathetic bigot you are.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

(I'm glad you like it) ich Heil my Fuhrer!


Check out this too since my opinion holds no weight.


"Scott Bakula

I'm sorry, I can't explain it. It doesn't make sense. But Bakula sucks at playing Captain Archer.
The reason why it doesn't make any sense is because Scott Bakula played virtually a different character every week on "Quantum Leap". Bakula was versatile enough to go from baseball player to priest, to dancer to chimpanzee, to farmer to mother. Yet when it comes to Archer, he just falls flat. Can anyone explain this?
Many fans speculate that perhaps Bakula could play Archer better if he played him as Quantum Leap's Sam Beckett playing Captain Archer. "


"Anthony Montgomery
The Jury is sitting this one out, too. We all know Anthony Montgomery is there as the token black man. It didn't make it any easier when his character was immediately demoted two ranks after the 'black actor' was cast, from Lieutenant (bypassing J.G. Lieutenant) to Ensign.
Anthony Montgomery has proven two things already: The first, he's learning. And the second, he reads the internet. Travis kept smiling all the time in the early episodes, grinning and showing his teeth more than the Aliens that chased Sigourney Weaver. After the first batch of episodes aired, the viewers were making fun of it on the internet. Then suddenly, the smiling stopped."

By Richard Whettestone.
The Cast Who's Right? Who's Wrong

Most bad acting just goes under the table because it's hard to detect. Many actors are just playing themselves like Will Smith used to do or Kirstie Alley. Part of this is that they have fun personalities that people like or that they are larger than life characters but that isn't acting that's being yourself. I like that Will Smith grew out of that. But that's not the worse under the bad acting tree, it's when you really STRETCH your own personal character or leave it completely that you find out what you can really do. This may have been what Bakula was doing in Quantum Leap to have warranted the praise for the series but I really do think directing is the prime issue.
__________________


Last edited by Saquist : 10-01-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.