The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > JJ: "He's in"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Shat as Adama!!!! There's no way the Shat's as good a actor as Edward James Olmos!! Hell no!!!.
UM EXCUSE ME!!!

I wasn't talking about OLMOS! I meant that Shat should have played APOLLO!

ALSO:

Old 10-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I think he'd fit in well but he'd never get security clearance for the bridge with this dangerous jacket button that might SHATter the glass window on the bridge.
Transparent aluminum for goodness sake! Right? Please tell me I'm right. Can you imagine the glazier's union getting that order?
Old 10-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Federation Councillor

I seem to have missed the latest fight................I'm just surprised I'm not involved in it. It seems a tad unusual.

Anyhoo, I'm sure it will blow over in time for another one in a few days. It's like headline stories. They just revolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Indeed, the new BSG does seem to progress a lot slower, but that's because one of the things Ron Moore wanted to avoid was the "planet of the week" type stuff that usually permeates television sci-fi (the classic Galactica in particular). He wanted a lot of stuff to occur in the fleet, and for it to be a progressive story, instead of random adventures like the original show.
I found the mini-series quite slow I have to say, but I thought that the rest of it moved not too badly until the third season where I thought it did tread a bit of water for a while.

Quote:
He also wanted to avoid having starfighter battles every week. To him, Galactica was more than just "swashbuckling and derring do"....the old school fans that hated the new version just didn't seem to realize that he indeed saw a powerful premise in the original Galactica, and THAT's what he wanted to play upon. The plight of the fleet, the interpersonal aspects, etc. And to me, that's what made the new Galactica so awesome, because even though starfighter battles were nowhere near as frequent as on the original, when a starfighter battle DID happen, it was usually well worth the wait to behold. And believe me, the new Galactica has some spectacular action....very big screen worthy.
Yeah, the thing was still riddled with space battles and fights............they just more often had a reason for having them instead of plunking them in for the sake of it.

The show was all about the folks, the battles were just eye candy.

Quote:
It didn't exactly endear Ron with the fans when there was certain things that he said, but I believe the old schoolers misinterpreted what he said. He said something to the effect of "if you're looking for star wars every week, your popcorn's in another aisle." I didn't take that as a slight at all.
Old schoolers often want to be treated with some sort of reverence that they tend to seem to decide for themselves that they should be treated with.

Quote:
What really ticked a lot of old schoolers off was Katee Sackhoff's (Kara "Starbuck" Thrace) comment in "Battlestar Galactica: The Lowdown". She introduced herself: "Hi, I'm Katee Sackhoff, and I play Starbuck on Battlestar Galactica. Deal with it." Even with me being a fan of the original, I had to laugh my head off. I thought "Oh, this is gonna tick some fanboys off." (She said this in response to the purists who wanted Starbuck and Boomer to remain dudes.) All of a sudden, she was getting death threats from fanboys who apparently have nothing better to do than to sleep with their Starbuck pillows in their mothers' basements.
Yeah..............some folks are just creepy and weird and frankly should be called it out loud. And if they cry and stomp their feet...............so what? Because there's little point pretending they ain't when that's what they come up with.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Fleet Admiral

I guess a lot of us Trek fans would be outraged if there were a Pavelina Chekov or a Jeanne Picard in the second incarnation of a Trek show. I'd say, depending on which part of my body I were thinking with, "Boobs? Bring 'em on!" respectively "More women goes hand in hand wth Trek's progressive spirit.".
Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
BSG was ok, but they really screwed up not getting Shat to play Adama. Sackhoff was really good though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBox
UM EXCUSE ME!!!

I wasn't talking about OLMOS! I meant that Shat should have played APOLLO!
As a rule, when it comes to either BSG, when one mentions "Adama" it is thought of Commander/Admiral Adama as portrayed by either Lorne Greene, or Edward James Olmos...Not Apollo as played by Richard Hatch, and not Lee "Apollo" Adama as portrayed by Jamie Bamber.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I guess a lot of us Trek fans would be outraged if there were a Pavelina Chekov or a Jeanne Picard in the second incarnation of a Trek show. I'd say, depending on which part of my body I were thinking with, "Boobs? Bring 'em on!" respectively "More women goes hand in hand wth Trek's progressive spirit.".
When I was a kid I sorta worshiped Starbuck and Dirk benedict in general....

"Faceman!"

That said, I loved Moore's reboot and Starbuck is/was hot. Not to mention Kara was just a good character and well played. Call me a sexist, whatever. I was cool with it.

And I know that Shatner stuff is playful, but I still say I wanna look that good at 80.

The guy is 80!!!! I am in pretty good shape, but somehow I doubt I will even see it.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
As a rule, when it comes to either BSG, when one mentions "Adama" it is thought of Commander/Admiral Adama as portrayed by either Lorne Greene, or Edward James Olmos...Not Apollo as played by Richard Hatch, and not Lee "Apollo" Adama as portrayed by Jamie Bamber.

No one beats Lorne Greene. He was just as EPIC as James Earl Jones.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

My new wallpaper ^
Old 10-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
No one beats Lorne Greene. He was just as EPIC as James Earl Jones.
And an equally distinctive voice as remembered in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9sIPW9twl0

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!