The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > More changes coming to the Original Star Wars movies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2011, 03:21 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
Movies themselves play like a dream though. I've never seen the second movie in particular look this good.
I found some of the stuff in the documentaries was fascinating. They both look great even on upscaled DVD I have to say, but I don't know quite what was done (if anything was done) for the Blu-ray transfer.

Nowadays with everything being done in CGI the amount and skill of modelwork and practical effects that went into each of the films (but I think the second particularly) was hugely impressive.

I loved that the LV-426 reactor explosion was done with nothing more than a really bright light bulb and a field of what (I think) was cotton or something made to resemble cloud cover with a section that could lift up to simulate the explosion cloud.

So simple................and looks just as good today as it did then, without CGI involved at all!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-04-2011, 04:14 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I found some of the stuff in the documentaries was fascinating. They both look great even on upscaled DVD I have to say, but I don't know quite what was done (if anything was done) for the Blu-ray transfer.
If I understand correctly, the films were given an HD transfer for each DVD release. Except for ALIENS, Cameron opted out of doing a new transfer for the Quadrilogy in 2003, claiming that the his 1999 transfer was already as good as that film was going to look given the film stock and aspect ratio.

But I guess over the intervening years, technology has improved enough for both Scott and Cameron to give their films new transfers for this Anthology set. Whereas the last two films on BluRay are still using the 2003 HD transfer. But again don't quote me on this.

What the practicality of doing an HD transfer when there's no pending HD release coming up, I don't know. I guess just so you already have the film digitized 'just in case'?

Quote:
I loved that the LV-426 reactor explosion was done with nothing more than a really bright light bulb and a field of what (I think) was cotton or something made to resemble cloud cover with a section that could lift up to simulate the explosion cloud.
I was surprised to hear that as well. And I think the 'sun' in the first movie is just a really bright spotlight mounted above the set? Awesome.

One potential complaint about the BluRay release of both the first two films (and I think especially the second one) is that the seams in the effects are more apparent. The ALIENS 'drop ship' looks more like a hovering miniature than ever before.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yes, unfortunately the Blu-Ray release tends to highlight VFX flaws in Aliens.