The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > More changes coming to the Original Star Wars movies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Federation Councillor

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article...-jabbas-palace

It would appear that the changes have been confirmed.

Personally, most of the changes that Lucas has made so far don't bother me too much (Han shooting was the only real one the gave me mild annoyance in the first trilogy) but in all fairness I think adding in the cartoony 'Noooooooooo' is really disheartening for me.

It takes a great scene and makes it a cartoon.

I have to confess, I have cancelled my plans to buy this on Blu-ray. Instead I've had a look on Play.com to see who is selling DVD's of the Region 2 original trilogy releases which contained the original unaltered versions of the films and I'm going to buy them instead. I'll let the Blu-ray player upscale them.

Tinkering I don't primarily mind - there are plenty of Director's Cuts of films etc that I prefer over theatrical/original versions and sometimes there are good reasons why they were cut in cinemas etc - but I do think it's time to stop pandering to Lucas now. I sorta defended him for a while, but now I'm bored of doing so. I think you can eventually hit a point where the tinkering starts to UNDO the work, and for me I think Lucas has finally hit that point.

He's never going to do anything new now, he's just going to re-release then re-release forever.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post

Personally, most of the changes that Lucas has made so far don't bother me too much (Han shooting was the only real one the gave me mild annoyance in the first trilogy) but in all fairness I think adding in the cartoony 'Noooooooooo' is really disheartening for me.

It takes a great scene and makes it a cartoon.

I have to confess, I have cancelled my plans to buy this on Blu-ray. Instead I've had a look on Play.com to see who is selling DVD's of the Region 2 original trilogy releases which contained the original unaltered versions of the films and I'm going to buy them instead. I'll let the Blu-ray player upscale them.

Tinkering I don't primarily mind - there are plenty of Director's Cuts of films etc that I prefer over theatrical/original versions and sometimes there are good reasons why they were cut in cinemas etc - but I do think it's time to stop pandering to Lucas now. I sorta defended him for a while, but now I'm bored of doing so. I think you can eventually hit a point where the tinkering starts to UNDO the work, and for me I think Lucas has finally hit that point.

He's never going to do anything new now, he's just going to re-release then re-release forever.
I know how you feel this happened to me with the purchase of the 2004 SW DVD set. I don't mind a lot of the minor changes. The fact that Lucas changed the Han/Greedo scene to them shooting almost at the same time pissed me off more then the original change itself. How he thought that was going to please people I don't know. Plus Hayden Christensen showing up at the end of Jedi, the list goes on. As soon as they announced no original trilogy cuts with this blu-ray set I was out. Unfortunately there are too many fan boys that are going to eat this crap up which gives Lucas no incentive to release the original trilogy cuts so we are going to have to settle for the sub-par picture/sound quality versions on the DVDs. Here is Star Wars from the set you are looking for.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Federation Councillor

I'm not yet convinced he WILL never re-release the originals in some form again on Blu-ray. I would not be surprised to see them at some point either.

Much like the next box-set release will be the 3D versions...................

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Commander

Quote:
I'm not yet convinced he WILL never re-release the originals in some form again on Blu-ray. I would not be surprised to see them at some point either.

Much like the next box-set release will be the 3D versions...................
He might but it will probably be an inferior picture/sound quality version like on the DVDs. If that's the case what is the point? Don't get me started on the 3D versions. I had almost forgotten about those.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I ain't diggin' the "NO! NOOOO!" additions to the Return of the Jedi.
Then again, a lot of this could seriously be a hoax created by jaded fanboys who are sick of the previous changes Lucas made to the original trilogy, and who are trying to discourage buyers from spending one more red cent on the Star Wars movies. But if it isn't....oy, vey.

As for Greedo shooting first....it's not so much that it annoys me...it's the aftermath.

For the event itself, Lucas didn't want Han seeming like a cold-blooded killer. This, in itself is a fallacy. Greedo had a blaster leveled on Han, and implied that he'd been looking forward to blasting Han for some time...and he was in damn near the perfect position to do so. Han, reacting toward the implied threat, eliminated that threat...effectively. Having Greedo shoot first in the special editions was largely stupid. For one thing, the only way I can reconcile Greedo MISSING at that range was that his blaster's emitter was off axis. (This would seem to be the case, since, when you watch Greedo's shot fly from his blaster, it goes off at an angle.)

The aftermath is what bothers me, although, it would be Jabba "playing innocent" as regards to Greedo's personal intent.

Jabba asks Han "Why did you have to fry poor Greedo?"
Han's reply: "Look Jabba, next time you come see me yourself. Don't send one of these twerps!"

Not much of an answer.

In the radio play, Han confronts one of Jabba's agents, Heater, in docking bay 94 in the same scene that was meant to be between Han and Jabba. The late, great Brian Daley did an excellent job expanding on scenes for the Star Wars sage.

Heater: And why did you have to fry poor Greedo. After all that he and I have been through together, I--
Han: Well, it was my taste in drinking buddies, partly, but mostly it was because you sent Greedo to fry me!
Heater: Now, Han, why would I do that? You're the best smuggler in the business. You're too valuable to kill. Greedo was only relaying our natural concern at the delay in payment. He wasn't going to burn you.
Han: Oh, no? Well he thought he was.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

The previous changes to the Trilogy I DID like:
EPISODE IV:
--Making Mos Eisley look a lot more alive with more creatures and such wandering the streets.
--Making the dewbacks (the big green lizard creatures the stormtroopers used to cross the desert on Tatooine) look more "live".
--Much of the redux of the final battle.
--The hyperspatial shockwaves from Alderaan and the Death Star upon explosion. (That's how they were described in the novel "Death Star" which was based during and around the events of Episode IV, although, of course, most of the novels are considered "Expanded Universe" and not canon.)

EPISODE V:
--The flight of Vader's shuttle from Bespin to The Executor.
--I'm of a mixed mind when it comes to the expanded scene when Vader speaks to the Emperor. On the one hand, it's an interesting addition of dialogue, and they were able to get James Earl Jones to participate. On the other hand, although it does serve continuity's sake, replacing Clive Revill with Ian McDiarmid for the one scene is almost an insult to Revill. He portrayed that scene for Empire. McDiarmid portrayed the Emperor for the rest of the saga.
EPISODE VI:
--Seeing a herd of banthas crossing the desert as Jabba's sailing fleet moves out to the Pit of Carkoon.
--The new songs in both the "Jabba's Palace" scene, and the new victory music at the end of the movie.
--Seeing the galaxy-wide celebrations at the fall of the Empire. (Especially seeing a crowd topple Palpatine's statue on Coruscant....known during the Empire's reign as "Capital Center" or "Imperial Center.")
--As with the Vader/Emperor conversation in Empire Strikes Back, I'm of a mixed mind on Hayden Christenson replacing the original actor who played the elder Anakin Skywalker in the "Jedi Reunited" scene at the end of RotJ. Again, although it serves continuity, since Anakin "died" when he was much younger...it still seems a bit of an insult toward the original actor who played the elder Anakin. I can only reconcile this in that "the dead do not age."

Changes I did NOT like:
EPISODE IV:
--Greedo shooting first. No-brainer.

EPISODE V:
--Vader's line: "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival!" It sounded to contrived. And, it wasn't even James Earl Jones.
--I'm of kinduva mixed mind regarding Luke's defense against the wampa creature. In the original version, Luke killed the wampa, plain and simple. (Even said so in the radio play.) In the new version, Luke amputates the creature, leaving it alive. For now, it does irk me a little bit.
--The scenes with Vader stepping off the shuttle ramp onto The Executor's landing bay. Those were simply the opening scenes of Return of the Jedi shot from another angle. Served no purpose except to simply add to the running time of the movie for a few seconds. It was superfluous.
--Luke's scream, falling down the shaft in Bespin. Unnecessary.

EPISODE VI:
Not much was changed to this movie, so not much to say.

I remember seeing a sort of fan-parody of a group of fanboys who talk about the original versions vs. the special editions. In one scene, you have daddy fanboy with baby fanboy sitting on his lap, wearing a "Han Shot First" bib. And the daddy saying, matter of factly: "We do not watch the special editions in this house." as if the existence of the special editions were a blight on the face of morality. On the one hand, I laughed my head off. On the other hand, I was like: "Ya know, there are fanboys that are really like that....uber-anal-retentive." As if the special editions would warp the mind of the baby. Christ!

I also remember seeing a comic strip of Dork Tower that made me laugh my head off. One of the secondary characters, who is also apparently a father, sits down with his young boy to watch the original Star Wars trilogy, after having seen the prequels. He says, proudly, to his young son: "Now you're going to see Star Wars as I saw it when I was a boy!"

The movie plays.

The son makes comments: "Wow...that old guy does a rad Ewan MacGregor impersonation!" (And similar comments).

The next panel has the mom and the son outside the bathroom door as we hear sobs from the daddy coming from within the locked bathroom.

Hahahaha!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

I can't stand the change of music in Jabba's Palace. The original song was perfect and not nearly as over the top as "Jedi Rocks."

Just look at the awful (and annoying) creature that sings the crap:
Old 09-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's like an alien version of Joe Cocker. HA HA HA!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Commander

George Lucas the hypocrite.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Commander

Quote:

Bloody. I really didn't want to hear that.

Quote:
Personally, most of the changes that Lucas has made so far don't bother me too much (Han shooting was the only real one the gave me mild annoyance in the first trilogy) but in all fairness I think adding in the cartoony 'Noooooooooo' is really disheartening for me. It takes a great scene and makes it a cartoon.
I completely agree. I think this is his worst change yet, not to mention his most pointless. I still can't see it.

Quote:
You may have just talked me into cancelling as well. Too bad, because I really wanted the archival material on the bonus discs. For that, I had pre-ordered the full 6-movie edition even though I don't really care to buy the prequels again.

[EDIT]: This might be the cheaper option. As long as there's two discs per movie, you should be safe.

Quote:
I fully expect this as well, and am hopefull for it. Thing is, the originals will most likely only be available alongside their latest edition counterparts. Which is all the more reason not to buy these. The 2004 versions I think are quite good, in that they fix a lot of the problems with the 1997 versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
Here is Star Wars from the set you are looking for.
I didn't realize the original trilogy was already out of print on DVD. And yet the prequels are not? What the hell?

Last edited by samwiseb : 09-02-2011 at 01:19 AM.