The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > More changes coming to the Original Star Wars movies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default More changes coming to the Original Star Wars movies

This one kinda baffles me, since the original version was perfectly fine...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-...ror-26504.html
Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

If the Star Wars films were children, and Lucas was their father, the state would have taken them from his custody by now for their own protection

Old 08-31-2011, 12:02 AM
Commander

This to me has the ring of "Let's see, what's the one, the ONE rumor that SW fangeeks least want to hear at this point? Oh I know! Everybody hates Vader shouting 'Noooooooooo!!!!!!', right? And most fangeeks are already cynically inclined to believe anything bad about Lucas. Now watch how quickly this rumor puts everybody in a rage."

I don't buy it just yet. Reportedly more changes have been made to the films (such as CG Yoda in The Phantom Menace), but the ones described here don't seem to serve any purpose whatsoever. I think Lucas is indeed out of touch, but with most of his retro-revisions you can generally get inside his head and see why he might have thought they were a good idea. Whereas I'm not getting that here.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

I don't understand why Lucas does this kind of stuff but as these are details which I hardly notice I don't care.
In general I don't think it is a bad idea to change movies for home releases. Some authors go over their literature and sometimes change their pieces decades after they have first written them so why should directors not be allowed to do the same.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:24 AM
Commander

Check out the blinking Ewoks. If anyone wants to educate themselves on the Star Wars prequel trilogy just watch these. His TNG movie reviews are also really good.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 AM
Commander

I'll still believe it when the official BluRay reviews start coming in. Or when someone explains exactly what the functionality of these particular changes is supposed to be in Lucas' mind.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I'll still believe it when the official BluRay reviews start coming in. Or when someone explains exactly what the functionality of these particular changes is supposed to be in Lucas' mind.
Can you explain to me the purpose of Han Solo shooting first or at almost the same time as in 2004 DVD release?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
Can you explain to me the purpose of Han Solo shooting first or at almost the same time as in 2004 DVD release?
I wasn't defending Lucas. He has stated numerous times why he thought the change was a good idea.

Everything else he's done to the films (up until these latest rumors) 'tracks' with how he seems to think.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't mind the blinking Ewoks. That's an improvement, since they really did come across as little people wearing teddy bear costumes.
Blinking also helped the Gorn in TOS Remastered in my book.

Does anybody know why George [or the sound effects guy] is changing Ben's Krayt Dragon cry from A New Hope (for the third time!)?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:55 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I wasn't defending Lucas. He has stated numerous times why he thought the change was a good idea.

Everything else he's done to the films (up until these latest rumors) 'tracks' with how he seems to think.
I wasn't saying you were all I'm saying is Lucas explanations are not really that well thought out. Han shot first because he is a "good guy." The reason he added Hayden Christensen to the end of the ROTJ on the 2004 DVD set was so he could link the two trilogies together. That will be his explanation for this "Nooooo" BS if it turns out to be true. I don't see why you think it is so out of the realm of possibility. It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Lucas does what he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I don't mind the blinking Ewoks. That's an improvement, since they really did come across as little people wearing teddy bear costumes.
Blinking also helped the Gorn in TOS Remastered in my book.

Does anybody know why George [or the sound effects guy] is changing Ben's Krayt Dragon cry from A New Hope (for the third time!)?
I don't mind the blinking Ewok either but I have the same question as you. Why change that sound effect yet again. The Lucas answer, "Because I can." The guy has to much time on his hands. I have a lot more questions as to what he was thinking, or should I say his lack of thinking when he wrote Episode I.

Last edited by Enterprise Captain : 09-01-2011 at 09:20 AM.