The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > A New Star Trek Series (Dave Foster)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default A New Star Trek Series (Dave Foster)

I liked what I heard...
new, new ,new...and .....more new....
More importantly...a theme which Trek lacked.
What do ya think?

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a3...the-works.html

Old 08-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I liked what I heard...
new, new ,new...and .....more new....
More importantly...a theme which Trek lacked.
What do ya think?

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a3...the-works.html
Quote from above link:
"The series concept is fully developed, subject to change of course, with a solid five to seven-year series plan, pilot script and a conceptualised finale that intends to define Star Trek for generations, extensive character bios, costume and ship/set designs, and more," Foster told Trek Web.

Foster went on to insist that the plans are serious.

"This is a drastic departure from the typical eight to ten-page treatment of the previously pitched Star Trek series ideas that have not included even a pilot script," Foster said. "The series is highly energised with a much younger cast, and uses cutting-edge future technologies with newly envisioned special effects and designs."
__________________________________________________ ______________________
If I had not posted the JMS pitch earlier this week, I would have though I was reading part of it. I cannot say anything against this newer pitch other than, let's see more details.......

I still feel the JMS proposal sounded more dynamic, more concrete, but I am more familiar with his work on B5, which I really appreciate and have stated so in other threads.

Unless there is a series setup proposed by CBS, I would think that anyone's chances to launch a new series is slim to none though. Maybe CBS is going to wait and see about nu-Trek before making a decision of their own design?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Commander

I also have read Bryan Singer's pitch:

http://whatculture.com/tv/bryan-sing...h-revealed.php

I don't think that ST fans are ready to go there.......yet. But that's my thought.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Admiral

I too would like to know more… but, more Trek is a good thing.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
Unless there is a series setup proposed by CBS, I would think that anyone's chances to launch a new series is slim to none though. Maybe CBS is going to wait and see about nu-Trek before making a decision of their own design?
Without having even read the links (I will here in a minute), I would think that's most likely. If I were CBS I wouldn't even be talking about launching a new ST series until 2016 at the very earliest. It would be premature to assume that ST09 proves anything in regards to ST's (continued) longevity.

ST09
mostly proves that ST can mold itself into a 'film' franchise (something I don't think we've really had before, even during the glory years of Bennett and Meyer) and also be widely accepted as 'cool'... at least for the moment. And that JJ Abrams is considered a promising 'hot' commodity who was not yet far enough along in his career to be 'above' accepting the ST gig.

But as far as 'Star Trek: The Franchise' is concerned -and especially on the TV front- I suspect it may still be May of 2005 until there's more concrete evidence otherwise:

http://www.madmind.de/2009/05/02/all...in-two-charts/

(oh, and yes I do have that link bookmarked to bring up whenever it seems appropriate. So sue me...)

[EDIT]: Interesting. I guess we'll see if this Foster fellow has better luck pitching to CBS than JMS and Singer did. I don't expect it though. The bad thing about pitching when it's not the right time, is the whole "we've already seen that pitch and passed on it" factor when the studio finally decides it finally is time.

Last edited by samwiseb : 08-25-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Fleet Admiral

In Singers...I especially like the reaslistic concepts removing Ferengi as a Joke, the Federation declining because of their lazy ways and Star Fleet a former shell of it's self.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:23 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
In Singers...I especially like the reaslistic concepts removing Ferengi as a Joke, the Federation declining because of their lazy ways and Star Fleet a former shell of it's self.
I was quite impressed with that as well, both a year ago when I read it and now.

But I think ideally you would return ST to television with something closer to JMS' pitch; have at least some of the 'iconic' characters involved in a 23rd century setting, even if only on a recurring basis (the existence of JJ's film series makes it difficult to imagine another full-on TOS reboot for television).

Then once ST's position on TV is solidified, consider something like Singer's proposal as a spin-off option 'if' it goes that far. Or merge the two. Only push ahead aggressively, don't be safe, and don't assume you can produce spin-off after spin-off like we did the last time.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Let's be honest, even if CBS decides to greenlight a new Trek series around the end of the decade it will have a hard time because there is already so much Trek. Straczynski wanted a reboot, Singer envisioned a fall of empire / decadence in the far future scenario and the info about Foster's proposal is too slim to tell anything ... although this line about FX- and youth-mania isn't too promising: "The series is highly energised with a much younger cast, and uses cutting-edge future technologies with newly envisioned special effects and designs."
In my opinion the next Trek series should neither be TOS 2.0 (I would be a total sucker for a 23rd century series with retro design yet this seems virtually impossible) nor pick up the remains of TNG+ . But is "totally new" really possible?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

Some of the stuff I didn't like in singers was the Alex Kirk....that could be either good or a really bad idea. The Ms. Kitty character maybe in that same book....and I'm not sure about the Ms. Borg either...

shows live and die on the characters.
That being said...I like the M.A.J.E.L AI....very nice touch....

Singer seems to have a true reverence for Trek which will help the fan base to like him.
However he's not doing to much different with the line up. I'm a strong proponent of Trek going away from 7 man cast to a 2-3 Man Cast Mulder/Scully style. Jack Bauer 24 Style or even man and machine style like Knight Rider Michael and Kitt. I could see Bryans Alex Kirk and Chen an awesome man and machine dynamic duo. The whole ship thing just as background since Star Fleet is a shell of itself why do the seven man crew? But kudos because he went with decline and I went with the Fall of the Federation.

Trek needs a dyamic duo a Hero Class to reinspire the franchise in a new and original way. Otherwise I feel the general audience will lose interest fairly quickly as what both guys are proposing sound like the last 40 years with moderated changes and new paint.

Last edited by Saquist : 08-25-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:26 AM
Federation Councillor

I liked the decline of the Federation aspect in Singer's plans...............but I thought the Kirk part was trite even in ideas.

I wasn't fond of the M.A.J.E.L acronym either. Fanwank for me.

However, I don't expect this Foster plan to go anywhere (nor was I even very teased by his 'tease') because if CBS isn't actively LOOKING to start production on a series then it will be a 'meet 'n' greet' round a board table and that will be it.

When CBS wants to make a show (which they've given no sign of so far as far as I can see), then they will invite pitches.

courtesy of Saquist