The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > J. Michael Straczynski planned to reboot ST TOS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
whups...I found the passage in his proposal:

"We will keep the classic silhouette of the Enterprise, but fit her out with a level of amazing technology based on what the best and the brightest minds tell us the future will look like in200 years. Tricorders and communicators were predicted by the original Trek and arealready upon us in GPS technology and cell phones. What new wonders can we predict for the future knowing what we know now?
We will"

Changes would have been made, might even have still wound up with an i-Bridge (lol), but with the way he is making the pitch, it ALL would have been relevant to the story and for presenting new technologies, apparently not using tecno-speak, I believe, for the sake of getting out of a jam easily, but to add to the richness of this story set in the 23rd century. Flash...with an intention and purpose. Maybe keeping the story within the realm of "Human/Alien Adventure"? Yes, a REAL story, set in an adventure that the viewer can identify with...
If he penned the next Star Trek movie script - I'd bet it would be something we could all live with and praise.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
This is interesting…

"By way of example, note that the original Enterprise never needed a holo-deck so that the characters could have exciting adventures because there were more than enough adventures, more than enough excitement, to be found in the real world they occupied every day. If you need a holo-deck to make an interstellar starship on the bleeding edge of the unknown interesting, something is seriously amiss."
He might also be forgetting there that in space there's also a great deal of...................nothing as well.

I think having recreational facilities on the ship would remain essential for human activity and balance.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
If he penned the next Star Trek movie script - I'd bet it would be something we could all live with and praise.
He also was involved in penning Thor..............I might have to reserve that praise just a bit longer myself.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Federation Councillor

I've read that pitch a while back and there were some tempting ideas within it. It would have been more of an 'actual' reboot, but depending on where it would all have gone then it could have been interesting.

I'm for a serialised show. Although I can also live with a stand-alone based one as well.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I've read that pitch a while back and there were some tempting ideas within it. It would have been more of an 'actual' reboot, but depending on where it would all have gone then it could have been interesting.

I'm for a serialised show. Although I can also live with a stand-alone based one as well.
It would be interesting if he were to be able to proceed with a "new" ST tv series based on that proposal. Seeing that there would be an inclusion of noted, outside writing, it would have been a more mature ST than TOS, I believe. Closest I could describe it would be similar to new-BSG and B5 in scope and quality.
With the explanation he gives for the reboot, I would be more accepting of the needed changes to sets and overall look of the presentation. He even favored keeping the Enterprise's look very close, (if not exact) to TOS, but with a slant toward more modern future-technologies.

Even using some of the older stories as a sort of framework to follow, but with a different intent and outcome.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
This is interesting…

"By way of example, note that the original Enterprise never needed a holo-deck so that the characters could have exciting adventures because there were more than enough adventures, more than enough excitement, to be found in the real world they occupied every day. If you need a holo-deck to make an interstellar starship on the bleeding edge of the unknown interesting, something is seriously amiss."
This is not interesting, it is a totally transparent attempt to prove that they are TOS and not TNG fans.
I am also not impressed by the rest. Smells like they have some ideas and wanna wrap it into Trek in order to sell it better.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
This is not interesting, it is a totally transparent attempt to prove that they are TOS and not TNG fans.
I am also not impressed by the rest. Smells like they have some ideas and wanna wrap it into Trek in order to sell it better.
The whole proposal was also a means of explaining how ST had become oversaturated in exposure and had lost it's direction, not to mention that the writing was becoming more and more trapped within it's own self.

There were recreational areas in TOS, briefly seen, but never a major part of the story. I always figured that there were "movies", gyms, botanical areas, and such that allowed for recreation, However I would not want to see a series that utilized adventure/role playing in any of those areas to dominate the series. There would be plenty going on with the universe just on the other side of the hull that was there to investigate, why make something up in a holodeck to pretend?

This proposal was submitted as a legitimate way to take ST, keep it in it's original spirit of adventure, and free it from it's own restrictions. Nothing less than nu-Trek attempted to do, only there with a more contrived story. IMHO The movie worked and was in itself enjoyable, but as a slice of Trek, I don't feel so.

The proposal submitted by JMS seemed heavy with Trek ideals to investigate as a series and (maybe) possible movie arc.

JMS's proposal is/was meaty enough to lay the foundation to take Trek through five years of network or some form of movie series STORY.

It's been two, going into 3 years now and not much but conjecture on what the next ST movie is going to be about.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
He also was involved in penning Thor..............I might have to reserve that praise just a bit longer myself.
Haven't seen Thor…

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
The whole proposal was also a means of explaining how ST had become oversaturated in exposure and had lost it's direction, not to mention that the writing was becoming more and more trapped within it's own self.
That Trek can only work if it uses the classical characters is not an explanation, it is the preference of TOS-only-fans. Trek had issues in the last years, but they were caused by risk aversion on the side of the studio and a lack of new ideas from B&B.

Quote:
There were recreational areas in TOS, briefly seen, but never a major part of the story. I always figured that there were "movies", gyms, botanical areas, and such that allowed for recreation, However I would not want to see a series that utilized adventure/role playing in any of those areas to dominate the series. There would be plenty going on with the universe just on the other side of the hull that was there to investigate, why make something up in a holodeck to pretend?

This proposal was submitted as a legitimate way to take ST, keep it in it's original spirit of adventure, and free it from it's own restrictions. Nothing less than nu-Trek attempted to do, only there with a more contrived story. IMHO The movie worked and was in itself enjoyable, but as a slice of Trek, I don't feel so.

The proposal submitted by JMS seemed heavy with Trek ideals to investigate as a series and (maybe) possible movie arc.

JMS's proposal is/was meaty enough to lay the foundation to take Trek through five years of network or some form of movie series STORY.

It's been two, going into 3 years now and not much but conjecture on what the next ST movie is going to be about.
I think in TAS there was a holodeck and Shore Leave features a mindreader-plus-holodeck technology so Straczynski's (why didn't you Americans force the Poles to get a decent American name like Jones or Smith when they entered your country? ) argument ironically makes no sense. This kind of sh*t happens when you try too hard to be anti-TNG to prove your TOS-purist quality.

The holodeck has never dominated any series. Not even VOY which was about a holographic lifeform and not about holodecks as recreation area.
I don't buy the argument that holodecks suck on general principles, i.e. that the show is supposed to be about exploring space and not about hanging around in the recreation area.
Furthermore I couldn't care less about general principles, I only care about whether a story works or not. And at least in my opinion the average quality of holodecks stories is quite high: Moriati, The Doctor, Barclay's holo-addiction, Shore Leave ...

Last edited by horatio : 08-24-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I think in TAS there was a holodeck and Shore
Furthermore I couldn't care less about general principles, I only care about whether a story works or not. And at least in my opinion the average quality of holodecks stories is quite high: Moriati, The Doctor, Barclay's holo-addiction, Shore Leave ...
True, and I thought that the episodes with Moriati were among others that worked very well.

But this is ST, you're (supposed to be) going boldly, seeking new worlds....... I want to see "What's out there......." as Kirk would say, looking toward the viewscreen.

In...THGTTG 2005 movie, Trillian tells/reminds Arthur Dent that they're "on a spaceship!" She wanted to go places and see new things (what's out there), "In a spaceship!"