The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > J. Michael Straczynski planned to reboot ST TOS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Commander

Default J. Michael Straczynski planned to reboot ST TOS

To keep "omegaman's" B5 thread focused, I will post the link to J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI & BRYCE ZABEL's proposal to reboot TOS in it's own thread.

Comments, thoughts? Would it have worked in light of what where ST has now gone? Would the proposal's energy have worked as a multi-movie arc?

http://bztv.typepad.com/newsviews/fi...2004Reboot.pdf

All comments are welcome in the spirit of discussion...

J. Michael Straczynski did submit a plan to Paramount to reboot ST TOS using many of the original and fresh stories as a reference to a newer arc plot. His idea was to explain, by directing the stories to carry the new "backstory" explaining the REAL reason why the first 5 year mission was carried out. I have a copy of that proposal somewhere, but where? Have to look.

It looked good and I believe that there was a thread about it...way back. I had even commented on wondering where he might have taken STXI. I feel that he would have had an overall plan for a movie arc BEFORE the first movie was filmed and there would have been a tighter unity running through them, yet each movie could have stood on its own, much like many of the episodes of B5 within it's overall arc. My opinion anyway...
Old 08-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Some of his proposal sounds like what Paramount have done with the latest movie. At least someone read it…

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Admiral

The more I read of his proposal the more I like… he has a firm grasp of what Trek is about…

Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Admiral

This is interesting…

"By way of example, note that the original Enterprise never needed a holo-deck so that the characters could have exciting adventures because there were more than enough adventures, more than enough excitement, to be found in the real world they occupied every day. If you need a holo-deck to make an interstellar starship on the bleeding edge of the unknown interesting, something is seriously amiss."

Old 08-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Admiral

and this…

What we propose today is “Universe B”, the unshackling of all the pent-up talent and ideas that are precluded from expression by virtue of what has gone on before.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
and this…

What we propose today is “Universe B”, the unshackling of all the pent-up talent and ideas that are precluded from expression by virtue of what has gone on before.
Prob'ly would have made some changes to the original "E" also. Seems he was going to bring the tech past the point that much of TOS is now a part of our everyday lives... But that is another can 'o worms and thread...lol
Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
and this…

Looks like he was going to go for story with content (first) and not so much "bang and pow" special fx, though I am sure they would have been there to support the stories without overpowering them.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
Looks like he was going to go for story with content (first) and not so much "bang and pow" special fx, though I am sure they would have been there to support the stories without overpowering them.
Agreed!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Commander

Think I'm going to youtube to find some ST clips
Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
Prob'ly would have made some changes to the original "E" also. Seems he was going to bring the tech past the point that much of TOS is now a part of our everyday lives... But that is another can 'o worms and thread...lol
whups...I found the passage in his proposal:

"We will keep the classic silhouette of the Enterprise, but fit her out with a level of amazing technology based on what the best and the brightest minds tell us the future will look like in200 years. Tricorders and communicators were predicted by the original Trek and arealready upon us in GPS technology and cell phones. What new wonders can we predict for the future knowing what we know now?
We will"

Changes would have been made, might even have still wound up with an i-Bridge (lol), but with the way he is making the pitch, it ALL would have been relevant to the story and for presenting new technologies, apparently not using tecno-speak, I believe, for the sake of getting out of a jam easily, but to add to the richness of this story set in the 23rd century. Flash...with an intention and purpose. Maybe keeping the story within the realm of "Human/Alien Adventure"? Yes, a REAL story, set in an adventure that the viewer can identify with...